• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Softhearted is not helping me now

SandraK

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Palm Coast, FL. Carioca'55 when RJ was in GB.
Real Name
Sandra
She could not have landed in softer place. She will quickly realize that too. You don't need to see to feel love. :hug8:
I feel so bad for her but she seems to be so perfectly calm in completely new surroundings with different noises. I'll be contacting my two go-to vets to see if there is anything that can be done for her but I also don't exactly want to stress her out by dragging her around from vet to vet. I just couldn't see leaving her at a rescue for eternity - she'd been @ George's rescue for at least 3 months. After all, as you know, what good is a parrot that is blind, doesn't talk, and can't fly? She's still a little bird that was loved at one time. Her feathers are in good condition and she isn't banded. Dementia runs in my family so it's easy to understand why her owners gave them (she & 2 toos) up due to one of the owners having it and smacking cages when the birds made noise.
Oh Sandra - you are an angel :hug8:
I think the decal has changed to an invisible ink tattoo that says "sucker" or "certifiable".

rocky'smom

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
laurie

Birdbabe

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
I feel so bad for her but she seems to be so perfectly calm in completely new surroundings with different noises. I'll be contacting my two go-to vets to see if there is anything that can be done for her but I also don't exactly want to stress her out by dragging her around from vet to vet. I just couldn't see leaving her at a rescue for eternity - she'd been @ George's rescue for at least 3 months. After all, as you know, what good is a parrot that is blind, doesn't talk, and can't fly? She's still a little bird that was loved at one time. Her feathers are in good condition and she isn't banded. Dementia runs in my family so it's easy to understand why her owners gave them (she & 2 toos) up due to one of the owners having it and smacking cages when the birds made noise.

I think the decal has changed to an invisible ink tattoo that says "sucker" or "certifiable".
Certifiable,,,,definitely..:hug8:

Fergus Mom

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Elly
Oh my gosh... it makes me think of this one @SandraK !

KINDNESS.jpg

webchirp

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Chandra

TikiMyn

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Robin
Ahww you are an angel!!! This little one must think herself in heaven with such great care:heart:

SandraK

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Palm Coast, FL. Carioca'55 when RJ was in GB.
Real Name
Sandra
Polly Parrot surprised me quite a bit yesterday. I talk to her when I'm also talking to my other fids as I open up the bird room but yesterday I gave her a little more attention and she actually tried to fly to me from inside her cage. I didn't think she'd ever try to fly since she can't see but she was trying to fly to where my voice was coming from.
@webchirp TY for the tip about Laura Joseph and her blind zon. I'll have to touch base with her.

Tiel Feathers

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Deanna
Oh how sweet she was trying to get to you! She trusts you already!!:heart:

Clueless

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge

roxynoodle

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I Can't Stop Posting!
Real Name
Audrey
Hi Sandra :) Lexi messaged me on FB. I wasn't sure I would remember my password, but I did.

As you may remember, I have Merlin, the blind CAG. For the most part she lives a pretty normal parrot life with these exceptions:

1. She knows she shouldn't fly. In 6 years the only time she did it was at the vet when she needed a liver ultrasound. A tech carried her into the room and I was last in line. Well, she could see that lit up doorway and flew out and straight into my belly. However, when I first got her Dr. O did warn me that some blind birds still try to fly, so don't assume she won't!

2. She doesn't like to be on parrot stands, boings, etc when out of cage time happens each day. Instead she sits with me.

3. I had bought her a double stack cage not long after getting her. She does some interesting acrobatics where she flips off the top of the cage onto perches and there were misses in the first cage. So I needed her to have a cage with a low inside height. Now in her case she is very strong so she needed one with bars she couldn't snap. That would be a less a concern with a Quaker I would imagine if you need to also find a cage with a lower inside height. She does this same flip off her rope perch to the bottom of her cage as well. She actually checks the whole length first by hanging upside down until she finds the lowest spot, then does her flip. She has some very limited vision. She can trip over something right in front of her face, yet she will do these crazy acrobatics my seeing birds don't do :)

4. She spends most of the daytime on the bottom of her cage. She hates grates though so I have a piece of plexi on top of the grate. She likes small toys on the bottom of her cage. Her food bowl is a heavy ceramic one also on the bottom and the water bowl is nearly on the bottom but is one of the King's locking ones attached to the bars because otherwise she will pick it up and pour water all over to get my attention. She has some low perches including a platform perch down there. At night and sometimes during the day she goes back to the top of the cage. Some long time members may even recall that she naps on the bottom of her cage and even rolls onto her side sometimes. Scary stuff when I first got her but it's just her way.

I'm sure your new bird will learn quickly who lives in the house (people, animals) and settle in fine.

As for removing the cataracts I once discussed this with Dr. O. She said the only doctor in the country she would trust with that was one at the University of Tennessee as he had been successful with eagles and other birds. But, he was definitely up there in years so you may have to see if he's even still working if you decide to go that route. Merlin seemed to be so used to her situation I wasn't sure I should consider trying surgery and decided not to look into it.

All the birds are well in case anyone is wondering. I lost my kitty to liver cancer 3 years ago. Two years ago I had to bottle raise a kitten and ended up keeping her brother as well so I have 2 young, crazy kitten-cats now. They will be 2 years old in 6 days, but they still seem very kitten like so I'm not sure at what point they will grow up?

Begone

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Hi Sandra :) Lexi messaged me on FB. I wasn't sure I would remember my password, but I did.

As you may remember, I have Merlin, the blind CAG. For the most part she lives a pretty normal parrot life with these exceptions:

1. She knows she shouldn't fly. In 6 years the only time she did it was at the vet when she needed a liver ultrasound. A tech carried her into the room and I was last in line. Well, she could see that lit up doorway and flew out and straight into my belly. However, when I first got her Dr. O did warn me that some blind birds still try to fly, so don't assume she won't!

2. She doesn't like to be on parrot stands, boings, etc when out of cage time happens each day. Instead she sits with me.

3. I had bought her a double stack cage not long after getting her. She does some interesting acrobatics where she flips off the top of the cage onto perches and there were misses in the first cage. So I needed her to have a cage with a low inside height. Now in her case she is very strong so she needed one with bars she couldn't snap. That would be a less a concern with a Quaker I would imagine if you need to also find a cage with a lower inside height. She does this same flip off her rope perch to the bottom of her cage as well. She actually checks the whole length first by hanging upside down until she finds the lowest spot, then does her flip. She has some very limited vision. She can trip over something right in front of her face, yet she will do these crazy acrobatics my seeing birds don't do :)

4. She spends most of the daytime on the bottom of her cage. She hates grates though so I have a piece of plexi on top of the grate. She likes small toys on the bottom of her cage. Her food bowl is a heavy ceramic one also on the bottom and the water bowl is nearly on the bottom but is one of the King's locking ones attached to the bars because otherwise she will pick it up and pour water all over to get my attention. She has some low perches including a platform perch down there. At night and sometimes during the day she goes back to the top of the cage. Some long time members may even recall that she naps on the bottom of her cage and even rolls onto her side sometimes. Scary stuff when I first got her but it's just her way.

I'm sure your new bird will learn quickly who lives in the house (people, animals) and settle in fine.

As for removing the cataracts I once discussed this with Dr. O. She said the only doctor in the country she would trust with that was one at the University of Tennessee as he had been successful with eagles and other birds. But, he was definitely up there in years so you may have to see if he's even still working if you decide to go that route. Merlin seemed to be so used to her situation I wasn't sure I should consider trying surgery and decided not to look into it.

All the birds are well in case anyone is wondering. I lost my kitty to liver cancer 3 years ago. Two years ago I had to bottle raise a kitten and ended up keeping her brother as well so I have 2 young, crazy kitten-cats now. They will be 2 years old in 6 days, but they still seem very kitten like so I'm not sure at what point they will grow up?
So nice to see you again and great post! ♥♥♥

Lodah

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Familiarity is the most important thing to anyone blind. She's going to have a rough time for a while outside that cage.

Set all the things up you're going to do for her and then leave it. Some very light tuning of course.

A saviour's work is never done. :hug8:
Amen!:)

Clueless

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge

Missed you! How is Pete?