• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Softhearted is not helping me now

Nikomania

Rollerblading along the road
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Welcome back Roxynoodle! Hope you decide to stick around for awhile! Missed hearing all about your Merlin.

roxynoodle

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I Can't Stop Posting!
Real Name
Audrey
Vana (dog) is doing fine. She is 6.5 years old now and weighs 110lb. Sadly, so do I in the winter so when she decides to sit in my lap, eek! She still hates everyone but me, and her reputation is apparently so bad the new mail lady won't bring packages to my house anymore because "someone told her my dog might get her." I said I'm not an idiot, I don't let her actually get anyone :confused: But, at any rate, if it doesn't fit in the mailbox I have to go get it from the little town PO that is only open a couple hours a day.

Pete is now at least 35 years old (wild caught and imported in 1983, will never know his real age). A few days ago he was singing a song and I know I know what song it was, but I still haven't remembered. He wasn't singing the actual words, but rather the cadence of them during the Ohio State game. It's driving me crazy trying to get it to the front of my brain! His musical horizons are blossoming out from just opera these days apparently. All 4 of them sing and dance when I play guitar though. The Grays often contribute their own parts, whistling along.

roxynoodle

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I Can't Stop Posting!
Real Name
Audrey
BTW, people are always saying to me, "I would never have a blind bird, I would be too afraid." There really hasn't been anything to be afraid about. You adjust quickly and then just know what they need.

It's been a long time now but I also had a blind horse. She lived to be 30 and had been blind since she was 5 years old. She was the most wonderful horse that anyone could ride. If she felt someone was slipping she would just stop. Or if they weren't a good rider but were asking her to go faster she wouldn't lol! She had had many babies during her life, had been a high level show horse when she was young and did just fine through everything.

SandraK

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Palm Coast, FL. Carioca'55 when RJ was in GB.
Real Name
Sandra
Vana (dog) is doing fine. She is 6.5 years old now and weighs 110lb. Sadly, so do I in the winter so when she decides to sit in my lap, eek! She still hates everyone but me, and her reputation is apparently so bad the new mail lady won't bring packages to my house anymore because "someone told her my dog might get her." I said I'm not an idiot, I don't let her actually get anyone :confused: But, at any rate, if it doesn't fit in the mailbox I have to go get it from the little town PO that is only open a couple hours a day.

Pete is now at least 35 years old (wild caught and imported in 1983, will never know his real age). A few days ago he was singing a song and I know I know what song it was, but I still haven't remembered. He wasn't singing the actual words, but rather the cadence of them during the Ohio State game. It's driving me crazy trying to get it to the front of my brain! His musical horizons are blossoming out from just opera these days apparently. All 4 of them sing and dance when I play guitar though. The Grays often contribute their own parts, whistling along.
If I remember correctly, Vana (who is beautiful BTW), is a Cane Corso (Italian mastiff) and when you got her way back then, you were in need of a family friendly guard dog for you and your property/farm animals. 110 lbs. doesn't sound like much until she tries to sit on your lap .... With Vana (and her neighbourhood reputation) I'm sure you've found you're subject to less hijinks from anybody. I've met a couple of mastiffs and liked them - then again I was introduced, allowed myself to be snuffled over and I wasn't trying to break into anyone's property.

It is so nice to "talk" to you again.

roxynoodle

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I Can't Stop Posting!
Real Name
Audrey
Yes, Vana is a Cane Corso. She is very good with other animals other than dogs who challenge her. Corsos are known for never backing down when challenged so a dog that comes along and starts barking at her is not a good thing. There used to be a lab across the road who would do that. He was the sort of dog that never would have gotten himself into a fight on purpose, and he obviously didn't understand exactly what he was provoking. Luckily he never crossed the road and Vana never got away from me when it happened.

Clueless

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Vana also assisted in making sure no problems from unwanted persons either as I recall.

SandraK

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Palm Coast, FL. Carioca'55 when RJ was in GB.
Real Name
Sandra
BTW, people are always saying to me, "I would never have a blind bird, I would be too afraid." There really hasn't been anything to be afraid about. You adjust quickly and then just know what they need.

It's been a long time now but I also had a blind horse. She lived to be 30 and had been blind since she was 5 years old. She was the most wonderful horse that anyone could ride. If she felt someone was slipping she would just stop. Or if they weren't a good rider but were asking her to go faster she wouldn't lol! She had had many babies during her life, had been a high level show horse when she was young and did just fine through everything.
And why on earth be afraid of a blind bird? Or anything blind?

roxynoodle

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I Can't Stop Posting!
Real Name
Audrey
I'm sitting here in the dark in front of my computer with my hands in the air going "WHAT???" Worst case scenario is you get bitten - meh, been there, done that and lived.

I know. And Merlin hasn't bit anyone the entire time I've known her. She's really so easy. She takes meds willingly. I can pick her up like a football. Or roll her around on my lap. The only thing that upsets her is being toweled, which I never have to do to accomplish anything because she is so cooperative.