• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Softhearted is not helping me now

SandraK

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Palm Coast, FL. Carioca'55 when RJ was in GB.
Real Name
Sandra
So I now have a blind Quaker in my house. Polly Parrot is 20 years old and has cataracts in both eyes. She was surrendered to Kayaker's (George) rescue by one of her owners (along with 2 'toos) because one of the two owners is suffering from dementia and was swatting the cages when the birds made too much noise.

If there's anyone out there who has experience with a blind bird, please share. Polly isn't vicious but she's obviously at loss about what happened. She came with a cage which I'll keep her in because she know where the food and water are.

So far, I've changed her perch to one that has a rough surface which is easier for her to hold on to. I've also put a platform perch under it covered with a towel but I'm not sure she'll like it.

SandraK

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Sandra
And while at the bird groomer's this afternoon, the young man who brought in his gcc for spa day told me about a tiel who had flown in to a friend's garage. Nice looking yellow face grey ... I'm going to have to look in the mirror and see if there's a decal that says "SUCKER". I may or may not have another tiel.

Clueless

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Not a sucker, you're a sweetheart......

Hi Polly! Welcome to the Avenue!

Nikomania

Rollerblading along the road
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Polly's lucky to have you looking after her now.
Let us know if you bring in the tiel, too!

Birdbabe

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
My retired vet said I had " sucker " printed on my forehead. :hilarious: He even lifted my hair once, and said " yep!, it says it right on your forehead.. I have two blind birds, they know where the food and water is, I never move it. The blind tiel sleeps on a flat perch, the blind dove sleeps on a rope perch. Both get around good enough, coz they know the layout of the room..they do bump along the wall sometimes, and know the food and water on the floor is never moved either. She will adjust, thank you for helping her.

JLcribber

@cockatoojohn
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
John
Familiarity is the most important thing to anyone blind. She's going to have a rough time for a while outside that cage.

Set all the things up you're going to do for her and then leave it. Some very light tuning of course.

A saviour's work is never done. :hug8:

faislaq

I have macaws and don't post enough pictures
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Karen
I don't suppose you could get a picture of her cage before she was surrendered? It would help you set things up the same way.

SandraK

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Sandra
Congrats to both of them! ♥
So far it's only Polly Parrot but if my cell rings and it isn't Fred in Florida it'll probably be about the tiel.

Polly's lucky to have you looking after her now.
Let us know if you bring in the tiel, too!
You guys will be the second ones to know.

My retired vet said I had " sucker " printed on my forehead. :hilarious: He even lifted my hair once, and said " yep!, it says it right on your forehead.. I have two blind birds, they know where the food and water is, I never move it. The blind tiel sleeps on a flat perch, the blind dove sleeps on a rope perch. Both get around good enough, coz they know the layout of the room..they do bump along the wall sometimes, and know the food and water on the floor is never moved either. She will adjust, thank you for helping her.
She came in a cage which, I was told was what she lived in. It's one of those flimsier wire cages, maybe 25" x 13" x 22", 2 food/water bowls at the bottom, 1 wood perch and a small boing.

Familiarity is the most important thing to anyone blind. She's going to have a rough time for a while outside that cage.
Set all the things up you're going to do for her and then leave it. Some very light tuning of course.
A saviour's work is never done. :hug8:
Fortunately she came with a cage and she does know how to navigate it. Since she's in a different room I'm going to try leaving her cage door open to see if she even tries coming out. Personally, I found it sad to think that Polly has only ever lived in this cage but w/o any history on her other than why she was surrendered I don't know how long she's had cataracts.

And she's a little cage territorial but once out is a doll. Can't say I can blame her, since she can't see, was in a rescue (with mainly large birds) until yesterday and now is in a totally different place soundwise. Yesterday when I was changing her water, I took her out, held and cuddled her a little and she was letting me break up some of her pinnies.

I don't suppose you could get a picture of her cage before she was surrendered? It would help you set things up the same way.
No, I don't think so since that would have to come from the original owners. She does know the layout of her cage now and wouldn't use the platform perch I put in. The only reason I did that was that she was unsteady on the perch she was on. I've lowered her perch so that IF she steps/falls off it she'll be walking on the platform. We'll see how it goes.

faislaq

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Karen
Our green cheek Harley isn't fully blind, but doesn't see well. We keep her cage mostly the same but do swap out toys; different toys in the same spots.

She did impress us by exploring more and more outside of her cage to the point where she learned the layout of the whole dining room! :)

I think once Polly gets settled in she may surprise you.

cassiesdad

Ripping up the road
Weather Authority
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Bob Weisman
Sandra, "sucker" isn't the word for you...it's Angel...:angel3:
And while at the bird groomer's this afternoon, the young man who brought in his gcc for spa day told me about a tiel who had flown in to a friend's garage. Nice looking yellow face grey ... I'm going to have to look in the mirror and see if there's a decal that says "SUCKER". I may or may not have another tiel.
I wish there was some way to bring that little tiel here..the budgie-size hole in our hearts has grown even larger...tiel size, since yesterday. Now it's a budgie and tiel size hole...

faislaq

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Karen
I wish there was some way to bring that little tiel here..the budgie-size hole in our hearts has grown even larger...tiel size, since yesterday. Now it's a budgie and tiel size hole...
Wouldn't that be perfect?! Surely we have roadies who are up for a road trip or are going on one anyway? :)

Last edited:

SandraK

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Sandra
Sandra, "sucker" isn't the word for you...it's Angel...:angel3:

It's a shame because Fred left Thursday morning driving down to Florida to visit sons & grandkids. If I'd had the tiel before/by then it could have gone with him.

JLcribber

@cockatoojohn
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
John
And she's a little cage territorial but once out is a doll. Can't say I can blame her, since she can't see, was in a rescue (with mainly large birds) until yesterday and now is in a totally different place soundwise. Yesterday when I was changing her water, I took her out, held and cuddled her a little and she was letting me break up some of her pinnies.
She could not have landed in softer place. She will quickly realize that too. You don't need to see to feel love. :hug8: