• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

So who is a genius here?

Imogena

Jogging around the block
Real Name
Joanna
It is a fourth day now that Edgar refuses to eat his veggies. He eats only minimum amount. I think, he got bored with them and I cannot offer big variety till full spring. I try to prepare them in different ways though. Today I had this brilliant idea. Edgar loves his pellets so I decided to smash his pellets into a powder and sprinkle it on the veggies. To eat his beloved pellet he will have to eat some veggies.
I presented it to Edgar triumphantly and told him: I'm a genius, Edgar.
He just looked at me and I swear, if he could lift and eyebrow, he would.
Then he calmly proceded to remove tiny pieces of pellets from veggies, living veggies untouched. "Let's see, who is a genius" he thought.
Well, I don't feel that brilliand anymore. I got outsmarted by the bird. Again.

RedFoxBlackSox

Walking the driveway
LOL what a character XD that’s hilarious. I also try to trick my birds into getting morsels of veg by putting their seed mixes on top .... at least they get some green on their beaks? XD

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
:lol:

Imogena

Jogging around the block
Real Name
Joanna
@zoo mom it wasn't first time I thought I'm smarter than Edgar. And he quickly proved me wrong. So I would rather say Edgar 100 Imogena 0 :hehe:

Imogena

Jogging around the block
Real Name
Joanna
I also try to trick my birds into getting morsels of veg by putting their seed mixes on top .... at least they get some green on their beaks? XD
My thinking exactly. Edgar loves beetroot. Never eats it but shreds into pieces. And I'm quite happy. At least he gets some juice in the beak. Today he definitely got some green on the beak. I would prefer in the beak, or even better, in the bird. But no such luck.:D

geff

Walking the driveway
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Geoff
Haha they're smart.

Imogena

Jogging around the block
Real Name
Joanna
I know other parronts have blended the veggies and offered it in chop. Maybe that would work? :shrug:
I did try the chop and I did try completely blended. He doesn't like it. Usually he prefers bigger pieces so he can eat and play with them. Today I made him a chop and I sprinkled some turmeric on it. He ate a little and then he informed me: poop, Edgar, poop. And that was it.

Lodah

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Love it! :rofl:

Begone

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Edgar loves his pellets so I decided to smash his pellets into a powder and sprinkle it on the veggies.
And here I do the opposite so Akela will eat her pellets. But that is working. :)

Does this mean that I am smarter than you? :D
Or that my parrot are more stupid then yours? :bored::rofl:

Imogena

Jogging around the block
Real Name
Joanna
Does this mean that I am smarter than you? :D
Or that my parrot are more stupid then yours? :bored::rofl:
I think both mine and your's parrots are smarter than us together and smarter than we can imagine. Akela is cooperating because that's what she wants. I'm sure if she didn't want to eat something she would talk to you differently. That's what Edgar tought me.;):D

Clueless

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Just try, try again!!!

Secret won't eat sweet potato (MC's favorite). The bird picks at it but basically rolls it around and eats very little of it. Yet, after years and years of trying....

I had a tiny bit on a teaspoon the other night and offered it to her and THE BIRD ATE IT ALL... like I just provided the best treat ever!

Again and again she plucked the sweet potato off the spoon!

Imogena

Jogging around the block
Real Name
Joanna
@Clueless Edgar generally likes his veggies. Only now something changed. I even thought maybe I'll give him a break for a day or two, maybe he will miss them and on the third day will eat with pleasure.
Today he devoured banana. He liked it before, than stopped (I mean he ate banana but not so much, with obviously less pleasure) and today while he was eating banana, I was thinking how it is possible to eat so much when total body weight is only 300 grams.

Clueless

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Mine used to change their minds about pellets. I gave them 2 kinds in their bowls when we first took them in. We get a taste for things, figured they did too!

Imogena

Jogging around the block
Real Name
Joanna
Yes. Edgar is like this with broccoli. Either loves it or hates