• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

So who is a genius here?

cnyguy

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Gary
I read an article somewhere that said that parrots never get tired of eating the same foods over and over. I have to disagree with that. Parrots are no different from humans and they do indeed get bored having the same things to eat all the time. My QP Ralph's favorite food is fresh green peas, but once in a while, he decides he's had enough of them and rejects them for a day or two. I imagine that's what's happened with Edgar and he'll be eating his favorite vegetables again soon.

Imogena

Jogging around the block
Real Name
Joanna
@cnyguy It's very interesting. I think the article you mentioned is somewhat right because we all know here how difficult is to convert bird from seed diet into pellets and veggies. Many birds would stay on seeds for the whole life and be happy with it. But at the same time our birds get bored with the same foods. And I agree with you that this happens rather often.
My theory is: if a bird has good, balanced diet, he/she can choose what he/she needs right now regarding nutricions, vitamins and such. His/hers own body will tell, what the bird should eat. Like Edgar choosing whether he will eat broccoli or not.
Edgar eats rather healthy so maybe he decided he doesn't need so much veggies right now. Anyway, I think that two days without his usual portion will not do him harm.
By the way, thank you for reminding me about green peas. He gets them cooked, and likes them quite well.

Begone

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Parrots are no different from humans and they do indeed get bored having the same things to eat all the time.
I don't think they get bored like we do. But if they have a varied diet they will not eat something so they will get poison from over consuming a vitamin. And also eating more of the food they need.
I feed my parrots as natural I can. Incl fresh branches, grass, herbs, flowers, pine cones e.t.c from outside. And I see that they in periods eating more of something and then some weeks later not eating it at all.

My theory is: if a bird has good, balanced diet, he/she can choose what he/she needs right now regarding nutricions, vitamins and such. His/hers own body will tell, what the bird should eat. Like Edgar choosing whether he will eat broccoli or not.
That is more then a theory for me. :)
But that isn't always working well if the bird is raised on bad food that not have been varied.
They're brain will learn what different food will give to their body.
So if they want calcium they eat broccoli. (For an example)
And we are the same but often we are bad at reading the signals when our body trying to tell us that.
When I'm having low levels of salt I get almost sick wanted tomatoes juice really bad. And I don't like tomatoes juice that much, but my body knows that it contains a lot of salt.
So it's our job figure out what those strange needs means. :D
They say that when you are pregnant your body claim often strange things, but if you just figure out what that thing contain you will have a clue what your body trying to tell you.

I think this is really interesting. :)

Hawk12237

Biking along the boulevard
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Michael
It is a fourth day now that Edgar refuses to eat his veggies. He eats only minimum amount. I think, he got bored with them and I cannot offer big variety till full spring. I try to prepare them in different ways though. Today I had this brilliant idea. Edgar loves his pellets so I decided to smash his pellets into a powder and sprinkle it on the veggies. To eat his beloved pellet he will have to eat some veggies.
I presented it to Edgar triumphantly and told him: I'm a genius, Edgar.
He just looked at me and I swear, if he could lift and eyebrow, he would.
Then he calmly proceded to remove tiny pieces of pellets from veggies, living veggies untouched. "Let's see, who is a genius" he thought.
Well, I don't feel that brilliand anymore. I got outsmarted by the bird. Again.
Ahhh ha ha....have a grey with same attitude. Some days it's literally impossible to please him.
I find that some time size of the food matters. For instance I used to cut Apple's in 1/4 inch squares...turns them down...tried a bit bigger, turns it down.....cut darn apple in half and give half apple....ahh that's better as if he's saying. Then eats and picks at apple...it's presentation, and size.... My grey thinks in terms of super size me!!!!! Lol.

Imogena

Jogging around the block
Real Name
Joanna
@Hawk12237 Sizes!!! Yes!!! Till now I tried with smaller sizes for variety, because before Edgar prefered bigger (like 2-3 cm) pieces of veggies. Now I'll try with even bigger. Who knows?

Imogena

Jogging around the block
Real Name
Joanna
I feed my parrots as natural I can. Incl fresh branches, grass, herbs, flowers, pine cones e.t.c from outside. And I see that they in periods eating more of something and then some weeks later not eating it at all.
Ooooo, good to know that pine cones are ok for birds. And what kind of herbs can I give to Edgar?
And we are the same but often we are bad at reading the signals when our body trying to tell us that.
Too true. Especially if we eat junk food. I think it changes our body's perception of what is right and healthy and what is not. For example: the more sweets I eat, the more I want. I know in my mind it is not healthy, but my body lost its natural capacity of distinguishing healthy food from junk and craves junk. Ehhh, life :shrug2:

Hawk12237

Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Michael
@cnyguy It's very interesting. I think the article you mentioned is somewhat right because we all know here how difficult is to convert bird from seed diet into pellets and veggies. Many birds would stay on seeds for the whole life and be happy with it. But at the same time our birds get bored with the same foods. And I agree with you that this happens rather often.
Edgar eats rather healthy so maybe he decided he doesn't need so much veggies right now. Anyway, I think that two days without his usual portion will not do him harm.
By the way, thank you for reminding me about green peas. He gets them cooked, and likes them quite well.
Funny you mentioned cooking the veggies. My flock is picky....for the grey he likes them warm, partially cooked...my Zon likes them fresh uncooked, but not cold right out of fridge, room temp, my senny, mostly cooked. My senny is a funny little sausage, you can give him a dozen peas, he'll toss the first 5 out to floor. The sixth one, oooohhh, that looks like a good one and eats it, the right thru last pea throws out.......then silly bird wants more!!!

Imogena

Jogging around the block
Real Name
Joanna
My senny is a funny little sausage, you can give him a dozen peas, he'll toss the first 5 out to floor. The sixth one, oooohhh, that looks like a good one and eats it, the right thru last pea throws out.......then silly bird wants more!!!
That's what Edgar does with pomegranate :hehe:
But... But... tadammmm!!!!! Sizes worked!!!!:yahoo: Thank you so so much for the suggestion. Edgar just ate healthy portion of veggies and I have pictures to prove it.:dancing: IMG_20190315_181620.jpg IMG_20190315_182105.jpg
IMG_20190315_182659.jpg IMG_20190315_183647.jpg
The mess was epic but who cares? I'm really happy because I started to worry a little.

Hawk12237

Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Michael
Told ya so!!!!
Lol.....happy for ya! It is the way it's presented!!! Sounds silly, and yes a bigger mess...and you feel your wasting food, but......that's how they sometimes like it!!!

Hawk12237

Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Michael
That's what Edgar does with pomegranate :hehe:
But... But... tadammmm!!!!! Sizes worked!!!!:yahoo: Thank you so so much for the suggestion. Edgar just ate healthy portion of veggies and I have pictures to prove it.:dancing: View attachment 298754 View attachment 298755
View attachment 298756 View attachment 298757
The mess was epic but who cares? I'm really happy because I started to worry a little.
That's a beautiful grey by the way....healthy....and yep saying " super size me"!!!!....what I learned about greys is that small sizes don't always cut it, they love holding their food, the bigger, the easier according to the bird!

Imogena

Jogging around the block
Real Name
Joanna
From now I'm going to prepare his veggies in different sizes. I don't care about the waste. I can finnish after him. Even better for me. I Will have healthy light super.

Imogena

Jogging around the block
Real Name
Joanna
what I learned about greys is that small sizes don't always cut it, they love holding their food, the bigger, the easier according to the bird!
Yes, and he was holding his food. He liked those smaller pieces untill he stopped. I knew he doesn't like the chop. Now I think it was probably because he couldn't hold it. I didn't think about bigger sizes. I tried to present him veggies in different ways, even gave him the chop (I thought maybe this time he will accept it), but nothing worked. Fortunately now it works. I'm really gratefull to you.

Hawk12237

Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Michael
Thank you very much. :) He is almost 9 months old and I find him quite handsome.
Aww he's a baby! I remember my grey getting weaned, could barely stand on his two feet...now 7 years later he's my boy, gets into stuff and sometimes a bad bird, but love the little squirt. Had quite the vocabulary too. He questions everything! Like saying...( And he says this about 6 different ways... The upper case is where the word in sentence is loud and emphasized.)... "WHAT you doing boo?" . .. "what YOU doing boooooooooo?" . .. " whatcha doing boo boo? "
When washing dishes, he'll ask... "Washy washy boo boo"?? Yep I say.....or say...." doggy farted" ....he did I say.... And he bobs his head up and down.....and a lot more he says....oh and says go lions during football game.

Imogena

Jogging around the block
Real Name
Joanna
@Hawk12237 Wow, quite a talker. I imagine it must sound hiliarous when he says WHAT you doing boo? Do you feel like you should correct yourself immediately? And it must be great when he says go lions.:rofl:
For now Edgar says poop, Edgar, Edgarku (diminutive from Edgar) and just today he said bye bye. Sometimes he says poop, Edgarku, poop in this special tone of voice like he is sighing at the same time.

Hawk12237

Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Michael
@Hawk12237

Wow, quite a talker. I imagine it must sound hiliarous when he says WHAT you doing boo? Do you feel like you should correct yourself immediately? And it must be great when he says go lions.:rofl:
For now Edgar says poop, Edgar, Edgarku (diminutive from Edgar) and just today he said bye bye. Sometimes he says poop, Edgarku, poop in this special tone of voice like he is sighing at the same time.
Ohhhhh yea, you have no idea! My grey I really got to get a few you tube videos of him talking. Had friends pop by and my grey knows them well...makes everyone laugh at his talking and gestures. Waves at people, talks up a storm. Naa, don't need to correct myself. He knows my name, calls out " Michael "!!!!! Other things he says...."doggy farted, chicken buck buck, I dropped my ball , aww grey grey good boy kiss kiss, Maggie come on whoo hoo go pottypotty, noooo, poppie shut the h*** up ( to my Zon), go lions, yeay!!!, Go outside yea?, Be nice ok, ....whatcha doing boo, ooooooooohhhh ok, plus sings partial tunes to songs, imitates gun shots( probably from too much tv cop movies or westerns) but says tons more, a bit gibberish at times but practice makes perfect.[/QUOTE]

Farlie

Real Name
Rick
Farlie hates banana. I've tried it in small pieces, smashed and a whole one but nope, just doesn't like it.

Hawk12237

Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Michael
Farlie hates banana. I've tried it in small pieces, smashed and a whole one but nope, just doesn't like it.
Mine bird didn't either, but when I put the banana boat song on, and sang with him, he would try it.... Day-o...oh dayaya ohhh...daylight come and me want to go home...hey mr. Tally man tally me banana......

Rain Bow

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Mr. Rick my friend, you've got to eat it 1st, open your mouth & show Farlie your chewed up food... Then he'll eat it!

:dance4: Only way I can get Buddy to eat poisoned Bananas :dance4: