• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Signature sizes.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Oknuma

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Oknuma
most sig pics I am fine with
Its the tickers etc and the awards that do my head in. I dont see why the rewards have to be the biggest thing on the screen.

Renae

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
most sig pics I am fine with
Its the tickers etc and the awards that do my head in. I dont see why the rewards have to be the biggest thing on the screen.
I loveeee your new siggy! :highfive: Rosie Blush looks beautiful in there with the handsome Batman. :p

Shade

Crazy for Pois!
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Natacha
nope i dont think so, but wondering why they give out such a big award? i think its great to hand them out etc but could they not make a bit smaller?
The awards.
I received one for Celebirdy of the month and I was very pleased (and honoured) to receive it. I kept it on during the whole month it was awarded for but I also took down my normal signature during that time, because I found that otherwise it would be too much. I did save it and kept it on my computer though, if I ever feel like swapping signatures again.

I find that that particular award is on the larger side, specially if compared to the other awards given by AA.

pineview01

nope i dont think so, but wondering why they give out such a big award? i think its great to hand them out etc but could they not make a bit smaller?
Good idea!

Faen

Hit the Road
Also sort of off topic.... another thing that is slightly annoying is when people use abnormally large text in ALL posts. If you have bad eyesight there's no excuse. There's an option on your browser to make ALL text larger so you can read it better, or change the resolution of your monitor to make it large. I just don't see why people insist on using size 5 or 6 font size in all their posts. It's fin if your using it as a heading or your trying to get a point across and you want to make sure everyone gets it, but come on now, you don't need size 6+ font for your average post. I know this only really has to do with a few but just thought i'd throw that out there.... also wondering if anyone else feels the same way. :)

And regarding the awards, i think they'd be better if they were smaller. I don't see why they have to be larger than signature... just button almost would be fine.

IMO

GG.

Enjoy the small things
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
GG
Also sort of off topic.... another thing that is slightly annoying is when people use abnormally large text in ALL posts. If you have bad eyesight there's no excuse. There's an option on your browser to make ALL text larger so you can read it better, or change the resolution of your monitor to make it large. I just don't see why people insist on using size 5 or 6 font size in all their posts. It's fin if your using it as a heading or your trying to get a point across and you want to make sure everyone gets it, but come on now, you don't need size 6+ font for your average post. I know this only really has to do with a few but just thought i'd throw that out there.... also wondering if anyone else feels the same way. :)

And regarding the awards, i think they'd be better if they were smaller. I don't see why they have to be larger than signature... just button almost would be fine.

IMO

You also have the option on your browser to make the text smaller if the larger fonts bother you

Oknuma

Real Name
Oknuma

I loveeee your new siggy! :highfive: Rosie Blush looks beautiful in there with the handsome Batman. :p
aww thanks luv! I love it too, Cydney is super brilliant at making them isnt she? :D

i hate the large font too. The reason I have it though is because when AA first started there was a vote and it was requested that we do have it larger for the ease of some of the others on the board.

MollyMouse

Biking along the boulevard
I'm new here guys would you please tell me if mine is too big, should I put a wide one on instead? I'm just learning to put photos on so I can change it. Thanks

Faen

Hit the Road

aww thanks luv! I love it too, Cydney is super brilliant at making them isnt she? :D

i hate the large font too. The reason I have it though is because when AA first started there was a vote and it was requested that we do have it larger for the ease of some of the others on the board.
For the ease of others?

It's time for them to discover the tool on your browser to increase the size of the font on websites. After all, if they're having issues with a regular font size on here then chances are virtually all other websites they visit they'll have troubles with too.

Your right, i could make it so the font size is smaller but then everything else would be smaller, including other websites. I'm not going to change the setting every time i visit here. I'm sorry but i'm not doing that. It's a hassle changing it all the time, plus i'm usually on multiple sites at once as i like to flip back and forth from tabs.

Now for making it bigger it would save the hassle and trouble for everyone. I mean if people aren't willing to get their right proper glasses prescription then increase your monitor or browsers text size. It's really not that hard.

JMHO

TITANIS

Regarding font size, perhaps a compromise can be achieved by adding an option to the user preferences page that would permit viewing the forum without user text formatting? This could be included in the option to show user customizations when the option is ticked off. I don't know enough of forum design to give better advice, just trying to see if I could accommodate as many people as possible. :)

Oknuma

Real Name
Oknuma
For the ease of others?

It's time for them to discover the tool on your browser to increase the size of the font on websites. After all, if they're having issues with a regular font size on here then chances are virtually all other websites they visit they'll have troubles with too.

Your right, i could make it so the font size is smaller but then everything else would be smaller, including other websites. I'm not going to change the setting every time i visit here. I'm sorry but i'm not doing that. It's a hassle changing it all the time, plus i'm usually on multiple sites at once as i like to flip back and forth from tabs.

Now for making it bigger it would save the hassle and trouble for everyone. I mean if people aren't willing to get their right proper glasses prescription then increase your monitor or browsers text size. It's really not that hard.

JMHO
entitled to your opinion of course but from memory the decision was reached because we do or did have quite a few posters who were older and/or not very computer literate. As I said I was not a fan of it at the time but figure if it makes others time here more enjoyable and It helps me get the knowledge from someone who may be a amazing bird knowledge base but not net /computer savvy then I am ok with it
Regarding font size, perhaps a compromise can be achieved by adding an option to the user preferences page that would permit viewing the forum without user text formatting? This could be included in the option to show user customizations when the option is ticked off. I don't know enough of forum design to give better advice, just trying to see if I could accommodate as many people as possible. :)
that sounds like a great idea

TITANIS

that sounds like a great idea
I would think so, everyone should be satisfied if it's possible. I doubled my font size because several people requested it last year. They thought my original font size was too small. To tell you the truth, I prefer my font this size now and glad they suggested I increase it. :cool10:

rockoko

Squawk and Meow!
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Martine
I'm new here guys would you please tell me if mine is too big, should I put a wide one on instead? I'm just learning to put photos on so I can change it. Thanks
awww mollymouse, what an adorable siggy!!! :heart:
It is not too big :D

itzmered

Welcome to Parrotdise
Super Administrator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Chris
You can change the font size you are using in your user cp on here. You are not changing for every website you go on. It is only changing it for this one :)

Birdlover

Avian Addiction!
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I think it depends on which font is used when you talk about sizes. Some are just fine as a 4 and others seem huge. I prefer them smaller myself but I know that when it was initially brought up the majority were asking for it to be bigger.

Unfortunately there isnt a way to make that part a end-user option. We did make two forum sets - one with larger text for everything and the default smaller size (neither which affected the post font sizes).

We adjusted one of the awards to match the other two. As far as signatures go the general guideline is no taller than 600 pixels in any direction (which should be the total signature size, not each image in it).

A lot would be lost to start restricting everyone to fit in a certain parameter (you can only have X font or so many images in your signature, etc) so while we do like to see things stay within reason, its not something we are likely to get too picky about...

Faen

Hit the Road
I would think so, everyone should be satisfied if it's possible. I doubled my font size because several people requested it last year. They thought my original font size was too small. To tell you the truth, I prefer my font this size now and glad they suggested I increase it. :cool10:
I think yours and Oknuma's font sizes are fine. They only seem like maybe one notch up from the regular size or so, and that's fine. I'm meaning like This or This like this is fine.... even this is not an outrageous size.

I think(while you are right Birdlover, it does depend on the font) that equivalent to about size 4 in the standard Ariel font should be the max.

And about the user cp thing i was meaning the text you VIEW it with, from my knowledge you cant increase or decrease the forums' resolution through that, correct me if im wrong though....

I'm still not understanding how people with bad eyesight only seem to have an issue with this forum, and not every other website on the net....

If you want me to do a tutorial on how to make the resolution or text larger on your computer or browser, i have no problem doing that. Like i said, if they're having issues with this forum, then they're no doubt having issues with every other site out there. :)

I'm off my soapbox now. I think i've said all i want to say having to do with this topic.

Oknuma

Real Name
Oknuma
hehe i can understand having soap box topics, I have a couple of my own :D

I think quite a few of our older/computer newbie posters only post here and no one else.
correct me if i am wrong of course though people

Faen

Hit the Road
hehe i can understand having soap box topics, I have a couple of my own :D

I think quite a few of our older/computer newbie posters only post here and no one else.
correct me if i am wrong of course though people
But they must view other sites too.... not just forums but like sites with current events, articles etc...

Ok now im done. lol

Oknuma

Real Name
Oknuma
hehehehe
i know that my mother in law has online dial up and only for the one site she uses which is a boating forum. she has no idea how to go elsewhere... there are people like that here too

Status
Not open for further replies.