• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Signature sizes.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Birdiemarie

Feather Snuggler
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Marie
I'm still not understanding how people with bad eyesight only seem to have an issue with this forum, and not every other website on the net........
Perhaps they do have an issue on other websites as well but here they have an opportunity to be helped a little so they can enjoy reading posts here. I think that's cool.

GG.

Enjoy the small things
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
GG

Perhaps they do have an issue on other websites as well but here they have an opportunity to be helped a little so they can enjoy reading posts here. I think that's cool.
very true Marie - that's one of the nice things about the Avenue is that we try to help each other out

jamie

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Jamie

Also, most news sites and many other forums have an option for the user to change the font size of the text on individual pages.

We try to be as accommodating as possible to everyone's needs here. Of course, that means that there are always a few people who are bothered by that, however, that is true for any community.

Some self control goes a long way in making one's time on any forum a little more pleasant. :)

jamie

Real Name
Jamie
Regarding font size, perhaps a compromise can be achieved by adding an option to the user preferences page that would permit viewing the forum without user text formatting? This could be included in the option to show user customizations when the option is ticked off. I don't know enough of forum design to give better advice, just trying to see if I could accommodate as many people as possible. :)
We use a commercial product called vBulletin to run the forum so there are a limited number of things we can do to customize it. Right now there is not an option for adding that amount of control at the user level.

Many major customizations require hiring a programmer familiar with the software. I do a lot of programming in my "real world job", however, not with the language vBulletin uses and I do not work on these types of web aplications (I'm also not an official "programmer", I'm a research engineer/advisor and use programming as an analysis tool)

Also, there are many extensions you can buy or download for free to add and remove functions. The problem with that is that they can cause problems with come browsers or they are incompatible with newer versions of vBulletin. Some of them also cause problems with each other. We have installed a couple of extensions to help with spam prevention and a few other things, but we do not want to go overboard with them.

Birdiemarie

Feather Snuggler
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Marie
I'm new here guys would you please tell me if mine is too big, should I put a wide one on instead? I'm just learning to put photos on so I can change it. Thanks
Your siggy is adorable and I am looking forward to when you get more proficient on the board and maybe even add to it. :D

Redtailslave

Meeting neighbors
Hi -

I'm new here, and promise to properly introduce myself... eventually. :) But I've been an active member on other bird forums, and have found this to be a bit frustrating as well. Mostly just because the bigger the signature, the more scrolling I have to do. Some signatures are so big and long, and take up too much vertical space, which is why one discussion can go on for pages! Anyway, I think it's perfectly fine with a pretty picture, as long as you don't hog too much space. :)

Nikki

Hit the Road
Real Name
Nikki
Seriously? There are about a handful of people on the board with bigger than average size sigs... I for one don't have a problem with it. I love seeing everyone's flock and awards for being outstanding members and great contributors of this wonderful board.

TITANIS

Biking along the boulevard
I want to thank the administrators and staff for the explanations given in this thread to clarify forum policy decisions. It is very much appreciated. :)

Hi -

I'm new here, and promise to properly introduce myself... eventually. :) But I've been an active member on other bird forums, and have found this to be a bit frustrating as well. Mostly just because the bigger the signature, the more scrolling I have to do. Some signatures are so big and long, and take up too much vertical space, which is why one discussion can go on for pages! Anyway, I think it's perfectly fine with a pretty picture, as long as you don't hog too much space. :)
:welave: Redtailslave. :)

There is a computer forum I'm a member of that grants awards to users by adding a title beside their username that permanently replaces the post count title. This would decrease the signatures for those who add their awards at the end of each post. I don't know how well that would work on this forum though. Here, there is more than one official award and space is limited.

atvchick95

Real Name
Kelli
Seriously? There are about a handful of people on the board with bigger than average size sigs... I for one don't have a problem with it. I love seeing everyone's flock and awards for being outstanding members and great contributors of this wonderful board.
thats all well and good on a decent sized monitor but it's pure He!! on a measly 13" monitor it distorts the screen and there is a whole lot of scrolling side to side up and down to read a post

on a different note - IF a font size on ANY website is too small - Hold down your CONTROL key on your keyboard (may look like CTRL) and use the scroll on your mouse and scroll UP - do it slow or else you'll end up with HUGE text you have to scroll down to read one line of (Yes i've done it lol)

it's a lot easier than going into tools and changing font size there

to Decrease font size if its too big Do the same as above only scroll your scroller on your mouse DOWN

UP = bigger font
Down = Smaller font

Simple, Easy, and IF you share a computer with some one who doesn't need bigger font it's extremely easy to put it back to a size they like.

itzmered

Welcome to Parrotdise
Super Administrator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Chris
I have a 13" monitor on my sons laptop and have never had to scroll side to side to see a post on here :confused:

TITANIS

thats all well and good on a decent sized monitor but it's pure He!! on a measly 13" monitor it distorts the screen and there is a whole lot of scrolling side to side up and down to read a post
OOC, which browser are you using and what is your display resolution?

Jacob

Real Name
Herdis
Also sort of off topic.... another thing that is slightly annoying is when people use abnormally large text in ALL posts. If you have bad eyesight there's no excuse. There's an option on your browser to make ALL text larger so you can read it better, or change the resolution of your monitor to make it large. I just don't see why people insist on using size 5 or 6 font size in all their posts. It's fin if your using it as a heading or your trying to get a point across and you want to make sure everyone gets it, but come on now, you don't need size 6+ font for your average post. I know this only really has to do with a few but just thought i'd throw that out there.... also wondering if anyone else feels the same way. :)

And regarding the awards, i think they'd be better if they were smaller. I don't see why they have to be larger than signature... just button almost would be fine.

IMO
Just my two cents. In the earlier days of this forum there was a special request made by the older members that we would increase our font sizes and have readable colors (i.e. not to light) so since we are all so nice and amiable we obliged. Hence many of us have larger fonts than we normally would have. :)

_Haley_

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Haley
Personally if you find the sizes too small, you can change the text size on your browser. Go to "View" and then "Text Size". Just sayin'.

Birdlover

Avian Addiction!
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Reasons have been given for how people feel and that is fine, but time has come to close the thread. We've taken everyone's feelings into consideration but have no immediate plans to change how things are. People have the choice on how they want to "personalize" their font, signature, etc and as long as its not outside "reasonable" we arent going to have them change it.

Status
Not open for further replies.