• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Scentsy products + birds

Status
Not open for further replies.

mrstweet

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Amanda
I have recently been looking into a product called Scentsy. I have heard that it is safe to use around birds since it uses essential oils, not chemicals to create fragrance. I would plan on using this in my bedroom and my kitchen or living room. The birds do hang out in the living room, so I could turn it off when they are in there.

Are there any bird owners here with Scentsy (or a cheaper but safe alternative)? I'm still in the process of googling opinons in regards to the product and it's bird safe-ness. I would love to have a nice-smelling home and their products smell amazing.

rikkitikki

Biking along the boulevard
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Erika
I don't know that it can be known for sure that it is really safe. People have used it, however it hasn't been out on the market all that long, so we really don't know what the long term effects are. I'll let others use their birds to figure that out, I'm too paranoid...

Archiesmom

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Natalie
First, I adore Scentsy, and use it in my home :)

http://forums.avianavenue.com/healthy-highway/37610-sentsy.html

There is a ton of information in this post. I was speaking with the customer service of the company pretty extensively to ensure it would be safe. Conclusion was that its non-toxic to use, but as a precaution to birds sensitivities, I don't use it in the same room as my birds and if they are going to be out in my space, I am sure that the warmers are turned off so they aren't actively releasing the scent. :)

mrstweet

Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Amanda
Thank you Natalie. That post is informative and definitely addresses some of my concerns. I don't know if I'll use it or not. I just wish there was a product out there that I know is safe to use with them.

Archiesmom

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Natalie
I know what you mean. I am fortunate enough to have a separate room from my birds where I can keep them relatively unexposed to it while I'm burning it in my house. I still wouldn't be comfortable enough to burn it in the same room/presence of my birds because I know how sensitive their respiratory systems can be.

mrstweet

Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Amanda
I know what you mean. I am fortunate enough to have a separate room from my birds where I can keep them relatively unexposed to it while I'm burning it in my house. I still wouldn't be comfortable enough to burn it in the same room/presence of my birds because I know how sensitive their respiratory systems can be.
I do have separate bird rooms w/doors, which is why I was thinking it might work. I will occasionally burn candles in the living room or bedroom when the birds have been put away for the night. I keep the windows cracked and the vents shut for good measure.

gingersnap

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Selena
I use Scentsy ( and I looove it! ) I researched though before going ahead with purchasing stuff though. Our two Eclectus are in our living room & I use the stuff in the kitchen so it isn't right next to them but it is still downstairs with them. I haven't had any issues. :) I like it because it doesn't burn anything, just heats the wax with a little light bulb. Pretty nifty. :)

kcbee

Animal Lover
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Kacy
I have a Scentsy...and whoa! Is it strong. I used it once, and said that was enough. Gave me a headache and I couldn't imagine it being safe for the birds. I believe essential oils are bad for birds when they are breathed in like that - it isn't just the chemicals in candles that are dangerous, but the scents as well.

Just my opinion, of course :)

Last edited:

Zeb

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Zeb
I have a Scentsy...and whoa! Is it strong. I used it once, and said that was enough. Gave me a headache and I couldn't imagine it being safe for the birds. I believe essential oils are bad for birds when they are breathed in like that - it isn't just the chemicals in candles that are dangerous, but the scents as well.Just my opinion, of course :)
Just a thought, but being prey animals I think birds have heightened vision and hearing and lowered sense of scent and taste.

kcbee

Animal Lover
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Kacy
Well I know birds can die from candles, because of the scents (oils), not the chemicals....so I just wouldn't risk it. But of course we all have our own levels of what is ok or not in our own homes.

I don't really like smelly things anyways, so I don't mind not having them!

TextsFromParrots

Real Name
Kristen
Hmmm very interesting thread and I'll have to look them up and do some research myself. I know a lot of candles advertise essential oils as making up the scents, then again I know a lot of it is what the flames give off smoke wise that's to worry about as well. I'll keep an eye on this thread! Every fall I'm just addicted to apple cinnamon scents and this'll be the first year I'll be missing on it. Be nice to find a good alternative. Well aside from always baking pie! :lol:

kcbee

Animal Lover
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Kacy
Hmmm very interesting thread and I'll have to look them up and do some research myself. I know a lot of candles advertise essential oils as making up the scents, then again I know a lot of it is what the flames give off smoke wise that's to worry about as well. I'll keep an eye on this thread! Every fall I'm just addicted to apple cinnamon scents and this'll be the first year I'll be missing on it. Be nice to find a good alternative. Well aside from always baking pie! :lol:
I found some yummy smelling apple/cinnamon beeswax candles that have no chemicals, an all cotton wick, produce no black smoke and use natural scents (not oils). Plus beeswax purifies the air and puts off a very warm glow! I love them. They also have a lighter scent to them, which I like, because I get headaches from scents.

Beeswax is 100% safe for birds (minus the flame!).

waterfaller1

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
carole
Why does the package say~"Keep away from children and pets"...if it is safe?

Archiesmom

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Natalie
Why does the package say~"Keep away from children and pets"...if it is safe?
Because the wax does melt to a liquid state. It's not warm enough to cause evaporation, and it only heats to a couple degrees over body temperature, but it can get quite messy if a kitty is dipping their paws in it and takes off afterwards (personal experience) or a child decides to make a wax encasing of his hand (also personal experience). It doesn't burn or hurt, it just sticks to EVERYTHING because it solidifies again so quickly due to its low melting point.

Archiesmom

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Natalie

I found some yummy smelling apple/cinnamon beeswax candles that have no chemicals, an all cotton wick, produce no black smoke and use natural scents (not oils). Plus beeswax purifies the air and puts off a very warm glow! I love them. They also have a lighter scent to them, which I like, because I get headaches from scents.

Beeswax is 100% safe for birds (minus the flame!).
Just be careful, there are health risks associated with breathing any sort of evaporated wax, and even an all-cotton wick will release chemicals into the air because it's actually being burned, not warmed (actually, I found a company in Germany who will make a cotton wick that is woven with cotton filament to stabilize it, but most come with a different fiber that when burned, the compounds change).

Last edited:

crzybrdldy

Real Name
Patty
I can't remember where I read it, but the article said that essential oils where not good around birds and should be avoided.

Why not use a SS pan with water, cinnamon, nutmeg and some orange peels. Bring to a boil and then turn down low and just keep an eye on it not letting the liquid cook down. Smells like a fresh baked pie.:D

Zeb

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Zeb
Also, for Scentsy products you are only supposed to use a tiny little square of the block at a time....and yes, it shouldn't burn or be directly near the birds. In the next room, however, I'm not sure it would be so bad.

As a guy, I could go without any scented product and be just fine. :)

Jally

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Sherry
I can't remember where I read it, but the article said that essential oils where not good around birds and should be avoided.Why not use a SS pan with water, cinnamon, nutmeg and some orange peels. Bring to a boil and then turn down low and just keep an eye on it not letting the liquid cook down. Smells like a fresh baked pie.:D
I also like to use dried cranberries. :)

spideysmom

Sitting on the front steps
Hi all! Just now saw this thread. I am a Scentsy consultant, and have been using Scentsy products in my house since I have had our current two birds. (2 years now). One of the biggest things I love and promote about Scentsy, is that nothing evaporates into the air. Our birds are in the family room, and yes, I do have a large warmer on the other side of the same room. I have never had any problems with respiratory issues. I do stay away from the very strong scents, and always always always make sure the warmers are off and the wax is hardened before letting the birds fly around. Can't say for 100% certainty that it is 100% safe for them, but after 2 years, I haven't seen any effects. Hope that helps!

TheBeesKnees

Real Name
Lindsey Champine
I am really glad I found this thread, as I have been invited to a party, and wanted to get opinions and facts before I go. I was only thinking of using this in rooms where Sozzie IS NOT, as that is also where my daughter would be too, and her little fingers would not be able to resist a pretty burner full of goo :lol:

Status
Not open for further replies.