• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Scentsy products + birds

Status
Not open for further replies.

mrstweet

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Amanda
Lindsey, I do stay away from the stronger scents or the ones that feel like they have a cologne-type smell (most of the ones from the scentsy man line are what I'd include in this). I turn the warmers off about 10-20 minutes before our extended out time in the evening. There is also a door between the room that I use it in and the bird rooms. :)

TheBeesKnees

Real Name
Lindsey Champine
Thanks for the advice....yeah I would only get softer clean smelling items anyway, or maybe tropical in the summer...but that'd be it!! :D

Meatball

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
I got a warmer and some scents for Christmas. But I am afraid to use it even in the other room because my place is so small. :(

ortegah

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Heather Ortega
My favorite right now is Peach a la mode! It's not super strong or perfumy. It makes me hungry though! :lol:

Lauren and Jack

Real Name
Lauren Watson
Yeah I have been too scared to burn anything with Jack. So the only time I ever use candles (soy candles) or oils or anything is in the bathroom... While taking a bath. And its so far from him and I close the bedroom door and the bathroom door. Then I open the windows... Over paranoid I guess.

waterfaller1

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
carole
I still wouldn't touch this stuff with a ten foot pole.:p

greymatron

Real Name
Nicole
I guess another plus with the Scentsy product is that with children, even if your child consumes say the room spray, you don't need to call poison control or anything. Your child will probably have an upset stomach, but that's it.:D Good to see someone else is a consultant as well.:p

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]

mjones

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Melody
I am actually a consultant and use it regularly. I do not put them in the sunroom with Tinkerbell. but she is in our main eating/dining/living area most of the time and I have Scentsy in the "kitchen bathroom" and living room pretty often. It is a huge open area. i don't like the strongest scents so I am not sure if that would have an effect on her or not. I have had Tinkerbell for over six months now and she has shown no ill effects. The vet I use (an avian vet) has also not found there to be a problem. He didn't say it wasn't a risk but he hasn't found it to be a problem with the clients he has that use it thus far. Scentsy will tell you there haven't been any complaints about using it around pets in general (or birds specifically). They do say they understand that birds have very sensitive resperitory systems so it would be up to the customer to use it around them. I hope this helps and feel free to ask me anything else. I can find out answers from the company or give you the direct number.

Thank you Natalie. That post is informative and definitely addresses some of my concerns. I don't know if I'll use it or not. I just wish there was a product out there that I know is safe to use with them.

mjones

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Melody
This is how Scentsy answered the questions about using it around birds. I don't think they beat around the bush at all and are very up front. ( I just wanted to add that I would not use the room spray around them. They are very strong compared to the scent in the wax):
Q. I have a customer who has petbirds. She wants to know if Scentsy products are safe to use around them?
A. Many of our customers use Scentsy products with noadverse effect on their indoor birds. However, Scentsy cannot guarantee thatour products are safe for use around all birds.
Indoor birdscan be very delicate. According to bird veterinarians, breeders and resellers,any scented product can cause illness or fatalities in birds. Dr. MarlaLichtenberger, DVM, stated in an article posted on www.thebirdclinic.com: “Many…airborne agents can createa critical respiratory event: aerosols, burning candles, incense, cleaningagents, or smoke (tobacco or any other source).”
Q. Why would Scentsy products bedangerous for birds when they are safe to use around other pets?
A. The respiratory system of a bird is unique comparedto mammals. It is more susceptible to irritation and inflammation from inhalingscented products such as scented candles, incense, carpet freshener or airfresheners. Scents do not have to beburned or sprayed to damage the lungs of an indoor or exotic bird.

Scented products – including ScentsyBars, Scentsy Bricks, Car Candles and Room Sprays – contain volatile oils(scent oils are volatile oils) that are dispersed into the air when thefragrance is released through warming the wax. The fragrance in these scentoils can cause irritation to a bird’s respiratory system. According to expertsat www.avianweb.com any fragrancecan potentially be toxic and/or cause illness and possibly death in birds.

Q.Doesn’t the fact that our fragrances are warmed instead of burned make themsafer for use around birds?

A. A bird’s respiratory system is sensitive tofragrances whether they are burned, warmed or sprayed into the air. We dobelieve our products are much safer than wicked candles in nearly everyinstance. However, the fragrances themselves — and not the way they aredispersed into the air – can be dangerous to birds.

Q.What should I tell potential customers about using Scentsy products aroundindoor or exotic birds?

A. Many people already use Scentsy around their birdswith no ill effects. It is important to tell your customers that you cannotguarantee how their particular bird(s) will react. Most bird owners shouldalready be aware of the potential issues regarding using scented productsaround their birds. If they are unsure, tell them to check with theirveterinarian before using scented products of any kind.

References & Resources
http://www.bird-haven.org/safety.html - Good, consumer-oriented information on the dangers of fragrances,from a non-profit organization dedicated to bird health and safety.
http://www.avianweb.com/topbirdkillers.html - This link explains how volatile (fragrance) oilscan potentially harm indoor birds’ nervous and respiratory systems.
http://www.thebirdclinic.com/Respiratory_Toxins_@_Lichtenberger.html – This link is a scientific, high-level medicaldiscussion regarding “acute inhalant toxicity” in indoor birds. The firstparagraph and beginning of the second paragraph give good backgroundinformation on airborne agents and the avian respiratory system.

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
Well at least they answered you. When I emailed them a few months ago regarding it, they never answered me. So at that point I pretty much wrote it off altogether!

I live in an apartment; I think I will stay firm at this point to not use the products :) Thanks for the information!

mjones

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Melody
Well I didn't ask the question personally. I did seek out the answers from other consultants and they told me where to go for the information. Just in case you ever need to contact them, call them directly is always the easiest way to reach them. 877-855-0617

Kathie

Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Kathie
I have the Scentsy warmer that plugs into the wall. I love it. I have used it for several months now.

Correct me if I am wrong, but isn't the issue with essential oils is them being carried by the soot from the flame of a candle and inhaled by the birds? I do not believe that the scent from melting wax is harmful. Am I correct on this? (Don't mean to start a debate).

mjones

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Melody
Kathie,
LOL don't worry the debate is already going strong. Some people believe that and some believe that just the essential oils being in the wax at all is harmful. So far my Tinkerbell and my family and my dog are fine. I have been selling Scentsy for over two years with no problems and actually Scentsy is the only candle I have found whose wax doesn't give me a headache or allergy issues. I am careful with the room sprays and also with any aerosal type sprays around Tinkerbell.

Kathie

Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Kathie
I don't know. It just does not make sense (or scents LOL) to me. The soot carrying the oils and being inhaled by the birds makes perfect sense. Using a warmer that melts the wax does not send the essential oils into the air the same as soot would, right?

Now we have people who are actually using essential oils to calm birds.

Suffice it to say my head is spinning on the subject.

mjones

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Melody
yeah, i know what you mean. I guess I am going more on the thousands of consultants that use the products and also have birds. Scentsy has a forum as well and we have openly discussed the products and the public's concerns. I know Scentsy has to watch its back and not say they are "safe" or "unsafe" for birds. I think they have done a good job being upfront about the concerns. I am still careful to not use strong scents or sprays around Tinkerbell but that is with all things, not just Scentsy. I have to agree with you Kathie. The whole reason Scentsy is supposed to be safer is because of how the Scent is carried and how there is no flame or soot involved.

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
From my understanding, it isn't the oils themselves that are the issue....its the things that they mix it with. Therapeutic grade oils are supposed to be safe for all pets, but many companies do not use them in things such as candles due to cost. Many use things that "dilute" the oil by mixing it with other things, if the oils are "essential" or not.

The Scentsy website says that "Scentsy uses both synthetic and naturally derived fragrances oils to achieve the highest quality and longest lasting wax bar. "

On a another Scentsy page: Scentsy Products are manufactured with fragrance oils. Fragrance oils can be all-natural or laboratory-reproduced copies of natural aromatic chemicals, depending on cost-effectiveness. In some cases, Scentsy Products also contain essential oils–natural oils derived from plants that can have therapeutic effects and are produced without regard to their cost-effectiveness. Scentsy Products may contain essential oils but do not necessarily contain them, so we make no claims about essential oils in our marketing. Please beware of unscrupulous marketing campaigns. “Infused with essential oil” could mean nothing more than one drop of essential oil in a very large batch. “Inspired by essential oil” means nothing more than the product contains fragrance oil.

Kathie

Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Kathie
From my understanding, it isn't the oils themselves that are the issue....its the things that they mix it with. Therapeutic grade oils are supposed to be safe for all pets, but many companies do not use them in things such as candles due to cost. Many use things that "dilute" the oil by mixing it with other things, if the oils are "essential" or not.

The Scentsy website says that "Scentsy uses both synthetic and naturally derived fragrances oils to achieve the highest quality and longest lasting wax bar. "

On a another Scentsy page: Scentsy Products are manufactured with fragrance oils. Fragrance oils can be all-natural or laboratory-reproduced copies of natural aromatic chemicals, depending on cost-effectiveness. In some cases, Scentsy Products also contain essential oils–natural oils derived from plants that can have therapeutic effects and are produced without regard to their cost-effectiveness. Scentsy Products may contain essential oils but do not necessarily contain them, so we make no claims about essential oils in our marketing. Please beware of unscrupulous marketing campaigns. “Infused with essential oil” could mean nothing more than one drop of essential oil in a very large batch. “Inspired by essential oil” means nothing more than the product contains fragrance oil.
Thank you for the explanation. I love learning. :)

What I am not comprehending is this: regarding warming wax - whether Scentsy or other - without a flame - what is the harm? That is where I am confused.

Jeddy

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Jan
I still wouldn't touch this stuff with a ten foot pole.:p
I am with you on this one Carole. I don't use scented stuff like this around Bodie. I would worry about the long term effects even if it did not seem like it was bothering the birds.

Status
Not open for further replies.