• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Scentsy products + birds

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Banner Hoarder
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
Everyone keeps calling them "burners" - we are not burning anything here. We are warming scented wax to just above room temperature. No smoke or flames involved. Just wanted to clarify.
That's correct, however its not the wax, smoke, or flame that is an issue. It's the scents and oils that are the problem.

StellaMacaw

Walking the driveway
Avenue Veteran
Aside from the scents, I think the wax "could" be an issue too. You never know. I did a quick search on paraffin wax, and found this:

III. Acute Effects :A. Inhalation :If heated it emits paraffin wax fumes :- possible irritation of the eyes and the respiratory tract, more particularly in sensitiveindividuals- nausea.

source: http://digitalfire.com/4sight/hazards/ceramic_hazard_paraffin_toxicology_364.html

I think most of us can agree that a bird can be considered a "sensitive individual", especially when it comes to anything to do with the respiratory system. Personally, I would not take the chance either. I don't really like smelly stuff anyways, so no loss on my part.

Last edited:

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Banner Hoarder
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
I think the wax "could" be an issue too. You never know. I did a quick search on paraffin wax, and found this:

source: http://digitalfire.com/4sight/hazards/ceramic_hazard_paraffin_toxicology_364.html

I think most of us can agree that a bird can be considered a "sensitive individual", especially when it comes to anything to do with the respiratory system. Personally, I don't think it would be wise to take that chance, but everyone is entitled to their own opinions.
Good point, thank you!

Birdasaurus

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Andrea
I think of it this way.....strong smells trigger my migraines, be it from candle, perfume, scented wax, even soap. Thus, strong fragrances, no matter their mode of transmission, can cause issues in sensitive individuals. I wouldn't risk the stuff being near my birds, but wouldn't worry about it in a completely different part of the house with a window cracked.

Amaterasu

Walking the driveway
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Jessica
I don't think the risk is worth it. I think natural methods of a good smelling home smell better any way. I'm going to start growing herbs inside with my Aerogarden. I'm sure that will make my house smell great without putting my birds at risk. The only true risk is my cats chewing anything I grow inside to little pieces. :rolleyes:

Status
Not open for further replies.