• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Safe bug spray?

Parakeet88

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
I've been killing bugs in my apartment like crazy, bugs I've never seen before. Saw an earwig for the first time last week. Then today I killed a huge spider and as I went to flush it down the toilet I saw something between the wall and the garbage can. I have no idea what it is, it was dead when I found it. I'm so sick of having giant, weird bugs in my apartment. It's one thing to have the occasional harmless spider but this is ridiculous. I can't feel comfortable sitting on the couch or reaching into a cabinet, who knows what might pop out.

I have no control over clutter/ plants around the property and I can't use typical sprays. All the alternatives I've tried don't seem to work. Peppermint, vinegar, I feel like I've tried everything. I don't remember ever having problems like this when I lived with my parents, I don't know why both apartments I've had always have bug issues.

:tmsmakesme:

IMG_8375.JPG

Erikalynnha

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Erika
I have also been unlucky with creepy crawlers these last two months. I'm guessing change in weather? It's been bad especially in are basement. Just found out are neighbor has a cockroach infestation (she has a cabinet on her porch with them crawling everywhere) after my mom came from over her house we found 2 (she didn't know at first):sad10: so now I'm super paranoid. I definitely don't want to deal with that. I haven't slept in almost 2 days cause I'm scared somethings gonna crawl in my bed at night or be in the birds cage. I am saving to board the fids for a couple days at a vet so I can have someone bomb and spray. I seen one of those things you posted, spiders and freaking flies have been bad around my area.

Parakeet88

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Did some research and found out the thing is called a spider cricket. It's not dangerous, eats pretty much anything. The one in my pic is a female, the stinger looking thing is an egg laying tube :depressed: luckily it shouldn't have laid any eggs, they usually lay in spring and hatch by may so I'm hoping there's no eggs.

As far as the bird room is concerned there are a couple fruit flies and a few days ago I found a spider on captains cage cover when I went in to wake them up. I'm pretty sure that was the same spider I killed today.

The spider cricket and earwig were both in the bathroom. I just poured ACV down the drains and my parents are bringing a dehumidifier tomorrow since most bugs like damp spaces. I know the birds need some humidity so I'm focusing on the rest of the apartment for now.

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Banner Hoarder
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]

iamwhoiam

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I also like the Avian Insect Liquidator.

Parakeet88

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
I don't think there's a leak, my whole apartment is always on the damp side, but the bathroom only has a tiny window so it's always dark. In my last apartment it was always too dry, can never win :banghead:

hrafn

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
I was gonna say that looked like a cricket! Man, I've never had crickets invade my house (except when they escape the gut loading tank :laugh:).
I'm dealing with a whooooole lotta spiders right now, but they always come in when it gets cold outside, and I like spiders so let them be. The flies, on the other hand, must D I E.

Avian Insect Liquidator is amazing!! For flies, I also like the hanging glue ribbons, but of course you wouldn't want those anywhere the birds fly.

I hope you're able to rid your apartment of the creepy crawlies and get some peace soon!!

Parakeet88

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
How does the avian insect liquidator work? How is it safe for birds but a repellent for bugs? Just curious, it even says you can directly spray the birds with it

finchly

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Finchly
How does the avian insect liquidator work? How is it safe for birds but a repellent for bugs? Just curious, it even says you can directly spray the birds with it
It is a conceentrate, you dilute it with water. I spray birds, cages, around cages, and nests (but not babies). For bigger birds (my ‘big’ is medium) 5 squirts. For a finch 1-2 squirts depending on how my aim was on the first one.

I also use diatomaceous earth in the bottom of cages, below the grate and sometimes around baseboards. It is so safe that at least 1 food mfctr puts it in their seed mix. Kills all bugs, if they will eat it.

iamwhoiam

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I've never sprayed it on my birds. I've sprayed it around the baseboards, cupboards and floors. Also sprayed it on bathroom counters.

Parakeet88

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Will definitely try the spray. I feel like I've heard of diatomaceous earth but what is it?

finchly

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Finchly
Here’s some info. I wouldn’t eat it though as they say there!

You can get it at Home Depot, along with this gadget. If you use this you wont’ create dust to breathe in like they keep talking about. (Mine’s a little different but I am trusting it works the same)

9409541A-BCA6-41A1-8067-33EB1A231A83.jpeg

Fergus Mom

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Elly
If you get the D.E. (diatomaceous earth) make sure you get the food grade stuff. (rather than the kind for swimming pools). I once dusted myself and the poodle with the swimming pool kind and neither of us could breathe right for quite a while. :( NOT fun.

Parakeet88

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
I have a bag of food grade in my amazon cart, comes with the little sprayer thing too

Fergus Mom

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Elly
I think I still have some DE in my outbuilding that is food grade, but in my experience it did not cure an ant problem, as someone suggested, darn it! I believe I got mine from the local big box hardware store. Hope it works for you!

Parakeet88

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
It's not too expensive so I figure it won't hurt to give it a shot. I also get a lot of silver fish so maybe it will at least help with those.

Teckechick

Ask me for a photo of my bird, I have to post one!
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Dawn
Sooo glad to see other people use DE!! We love it love it around our house and have given zippy bags full to friends with flee issues!!!!

Tser

Meeting neighbors
Avenue Veteran
Take precautions using DE, even food grade. I use it and it's awesome for some applications, but I think being educated on the risks is important so you can make your own choices.

Read the label or check the MSDS sheet, and check the amount of crystalline silica. Not all food grade DEs have the same amount; it depends on where they are mined. Go for the lowest amount you can find! 1%+ crystalline silica requires special labeling warning consumers of the danger, and food grade DEs are going to be below that. I have found different brands vary greatly, with numbers like .8%, .5%, and .1%.

The risk is from breathing it, and the scariest risk is silicosis. Silicosis is accumulative. It doesn't happen right away, it is something that happens years down the line in (though there is an acute form). That means any you breathe stays in your lungs forever. It builds up and starts to cause problems -- scarring in the lungs. Carefully using low-crystalline silica food grade DE in your house is a low risk, but people are usually exposed to silica through other sources as well, so it's something to be mindful of.

Amorphous silica, the main component of Food Grade DE, is considered safer, but it still causes lung irritation. This can be dangerous for anyone with compromised lung capacity, like asthma, COPD, heart failure, or other health issues. Anything that irritates the lungs can also be dangerous for birds, whose lungs are so much more sensitive than ours.

Also, although it's considered low risk to cause silicosis, studies have shown that prolonged inhalation of amorphous silica may cause changes in the lung, such as alveolar epithelialization. Basically, studies have not established that it is safe, or that crystalline silica contamination is the cause of these issues, so OSHA (Occupational Safety and Health Administration) does place a Permissable Exposure Limit (PEL) of amorphous silica of (80 mg/m3)/(% silica). (So for dust that is 100% amorphous silica that translates to 0.8 mg/m3.)

Also, as it is extremely porous, when dry it will absorb oils and moisture from skin, through capillary action. For some people that might be a good thing and it's used in cosmetics for that reason, but it's also known to cause dry skin and skin irritation for some people, and animals by disrupting the natural balance of lipids on their skin.

I use DE! But I never use it in a way it can get kicked up into the air. I don't use it around my parrot, who can kick up a lot of dust when she flaps her wings. I use it in static locations as a barrier, nowhere it will be disturbed or hit by a draft. When I am applying it, I wear a properly rated breathing respirator. Also, per OSHA’s and others’ safety guidelines, I always wet down any dust that may contain silica before cleaning it up, no dry dusting or sweeping.

Because of owning a bird, my severe asthma, and background in ceramics, I am just super aware of the dangers, I think! My precautions may be overkill, but I prefer to err on the side of caution with my and my parrot's lung health. Haha.

I primarily use it to keep mites out of my isopod cultures. I have tried it against infestations of sugar/odorous house ants with no luck, unfortunately. Poison traps, secured where pets absolutely can't get to them, are the only thing that have truly worked on ants, for me.

DE will not work against bugs when wet. That means if you’re using it in a damp location where it doesn’t dry out, it probably isn’t going to help. Even high humidity compromises its pesticide effect. (This is why, despite manufacturer claims, studies have repeatedly shown it ineffective as an internal wormer, and it doesn’t kill animals that produce mucus like slugs, earthworms, and snails.)

Also, just in case, for anyone who has cats, Avian Insect Liquidator, the bird-safe bug spray, is not cat-safe, so don’t use it in a house with kitties. It’s super toxic to them! It's a good choice with just birds and humans in the house, though, I know a lot of people who've used it to great success.

The earwig in your house, at least, was probably incidental, if that’s at all reassuring! Thankfully, earwigs do not cause infestations inside a house. Earwigs need soil to breed in, as the mother earwigs build a nest in the moist earth, and actively raise their young. If she’s disturbed, she’ll carry her babies to a new location like a mother cat carries kittens. I’m terrified of earwigs, but I’ve been trying to get a handle on it. Hahaha. Now, at least, I can be the one to put a cup over it and take it outside, instead of calling my SO to help me. XD

For fruit flies, I put a jar with an inch of ACV in it, and a drop or two of dish soap. The dish soap breaks the tension of the liquid surface, so that fruit flies that land on it fall in and drown. It works super well, and is very safe around pets and other animals. If it’s in a room with loose birds, I’d close it with a lid with a small hole in it.

Since you poured ACV down the drains, keep in mind that fruit flies sometimes breed in drains, and the ACV is just likely to attract them. I suggest pouring boiling water down the drains as well.

I hope the dehumidifier works! I think tackling the underlying problem is the best bet long term. If you can get a digital hygrometer (humidity gauge) then you can try to find a good balance between dry enough to make your house inhospitable to cave crickets, and humid enough for bird health. They cost about 9 bucks or less at a pet store. The dial type are rarely accurate without a lot of fiddling, so go for the digital type with a probe. You can identify problem areas in your apartment that way, as well.