• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Safe bug spray?

Parakeet88

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
@Tser thanks for writing all that info out! I wasn't planning to use it in the bird room, I just kind of wanted to see how it works, it's so cheap even if I decide not to use it it's not too big a deal. I just ordered a bag yesterday so I don't have it yet and will check the silica and other things you mentioned. It's just me and the birds in my apartment so no other pets or health issues to worry about and the birds stay in their own room.

The fruit flies are really nothing more than an annoyance, especially because Ben screams his head off every time he sees one. With winter coming they should be dying down soon. I've tried so many different kinds of traps and never caught one. My dirty dishes in the sink catch and kill the most fruit flies lol

My parents brought the dehumidifier over and we didn't realize there was an outlet for a drain tube to be attached so there was water all over my floor when I came out of the bird room. So the dehumidifier hasn't been running so no updates there yet.

The poison traps always still scare me even if they're not in the bird room. Isn't it possible that the organism could ingest the poison and not die immediately? I mean the chances of them making it to the bird room are slim but still...I had a mouse problem in my other apartment and heard horror stories of the mice leaving poison pellets around exposed to the birds.

Tser

Meeting neighbors
Avenue Veteran
I'm laughing at screaming at fruit flies!

That's a very good question, it is very important to consider whether the poison is dangerous after consumed by the animal! Many poisons definitely are and can cause other animals to get sick or die. This happens especially with rodent pesticides.

The ant baits I use, however, are quite safe from what I have researched.

One ant bait I use contains abamectin "relatively non-toxic to birds". The concentration in the paste is extremely low -- 0.05%! The rest of the paste is sugar and oil and flavorings. In addition, when birds were fed small doses of abamectin over time, no chronic toxicity or ill effects were seen. Considering how tiny ants are, and how little abamectin they would consume per bite, even if they ate it and then crawled into a bird's cage, and were eaten by the bird, the bird would not get sick (from the minute amount of abamectin, at least).

I also use another trap which is tetraborate decahydrate (borax) liquid in sugar. Borax/boric acid/borate salts are also "practically non-toxic to birds" and the bait I use has a low concentration of 5.4%, the rest is sugar.

That said, I most certainly keep the traps locked up. I usually put them in an old margarine tub with small holes cut it in, and then put that inside a closed cupboard. That way it's double safe.

I hope you can get the dehumidifier up and running soon!

Erikalynnha

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Erika
It’s seriously miraculous! Non toxic so you can spray it on chicks.
Have you had anymore problems with roaches since you started using AIL? I haven't seen any in the bird room (knock on wood) but have in my basement and bathroom. I'm scared I'm gonna wake up with one in my face or in the bird cages!

Parakeet88

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Have you had anymore problems with roaches since you started using AIL? I haven't seen any in the bird room (knock on wood) but have in my basement and bathroom. I'm scared I'm gonna wake up with one in my face or in the bird cages!
I don’t have roaches, it was a cricket lol I don’t have an infestation so it’s hard to tell if it works or if it’s coincidence that no bugs have wandered into my apartment lately

Erikalynnha

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Erika
I don’t have roaches, it was a cricket lol I don’t have an infestation so it’s hard to tell if it works or if it’s coincidence that no bugs have wandered into my apartment lately
Since its gotten colder I've seen different creepy crawlies in the basement (that scary cricket being one!) The roaches bother me the most it hasn't been a alarming amount but idc I don't want to deal with roaches they are a pain to get rid of and are gross. I've been power cleaning but with birds there is always some crumbs here and there.