• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

I'm sold on Avian Insect Liquidator

saroj12

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
saroj
One time I sprayed liberally and my nose started burning. So now I do one or two cages wheels at one time. I sprayed a month ago and still no sugar ants in the cages! Also for two days had a big invasion of regular ants a month ago and haven't seen them since, even though there are crumbs on the floor. It goes a long way!

expressmailtome

Ripping up the road
Administrator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Matthew
I had never heard of that product before. It is good to know that it is effective.

Familyof12

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Liz
We use something called diatomaceous earth. It's a natural substance, you can eat it and works really well for a natural pest control. You can give them a dust bath with it. The flecks of this dust are so small it cuts into the outside of the bug's shell (chitin) and kills them. They will track it back to their homes and kill the others in their homes too. I also use something for ground ants if you see the mound. It is Vinegar, water (can add borax but it is toxic-only for outside use), mix and pour into the ant hole.

I hate killing even ants but it's really the only way. I spray the power of diatomaceous earth in my backyard when it is dry for the chickens to assure they don't get mites or ticks. You will have to re-apply after it gets wet.

finchly

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Finchly
I use both. Spray with AIL: Aviaries every 3 months, birds at the end of initial quarantine. DE: sprinkle around fairly regularly since it is FLORIDA and ants try everything to live in the house! I put the DE on the tray beneath the grates, and sometimes on the floor. And on ant trails.

Familyof12

Real Name
Liz
Exactly Tanya! We are in California and it is hot (but not humid) and lots of fleas, ticks, ants, etc. We dust. Chickens love sitting in it! We have to close the windows! They are so cute!! LOL. I love them so much!

lamagdalena

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Erika
We use something called diatomaceous earth. It's a natural substance, you can eat it and works really well for a natural pest control. You can give them a dust bath with it. The flecks of this dust are so small it cuts into the outside of the bug's shell (chitin) and kills them. They will track it back to their homes and kill the others in their homes too. I also use something for ground ants if you see the mound. It is Vinegar, water (can add borax but it is toxic-only for outside use), mix and pour into the ant hole.

I hate killing even ants but it's really the only way. I spray the power of diatomaceous earth in my backyard when it is dry for the chickens to assure they don't get mites or ticks. You will have to re-apply after it gets wet.
where do you get the diatomaceous earth from?
as from what i am understanding you, this earth has no danger for our birds? what if they breathe it in?

Familyof12

Real Name
Liz
DE is found at any feed store or online.

Diatomaceous Earth (food grade): Bug Killer You Can Eat!

Here is a link to what it is. There are some disagreements about breathing it but seriously you'd have to dump it on yourself and stay in it. My chickens dirt bathe in it and they've never ever had problems (almost 9 years old) and my mom has heavy asthma, it doesn't bother her.

finchly

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Finchly
I agree, it's very safe and i have all sorts of breathing troubles. Just don't toss it around in the air - lol. Sprinkle it down on the floor, counter or wherever.

You can get it at Home Depot.