• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here
  • This forum is for advice about initial treatment given to your injured/sick bird until a qualified avian veterinarian is available.
    THIS IS NOT MEANT TO REPLACE VET CARE

(Sad Update #98) White Capped Pionus with Rapidly Spreading Skin Infection

Status
Not open for further replies.

Coffee

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Kristy Fowles
Almost a month on and received a final update from the vet, after many tests were run at the lab :

" I spoke to Dr Vergeer from the pathology laboratory again yesterday afternoon and the final finding was a severe ulserative nectrotic dermatitis with severe damage to all the layers of the skin. After multiple tests and special staining of the samples, they found some evidence of fungi. They could not say if this was the cause of the ulcerative necrotic dermatitis or just a secondary infection. It was definitely not pox. I am sorry that we did not find any more conclusive evidence as to what started this condition. "

When cleaning out Megs' room, I did discover some fungal growth in the far back right corner under the desk, it had formed under the plastic we had laid down to protect the carpet (This is the first time we had her in a carpeted room, she had always been on tiles before, so I had laid down some thick clear plastic on top of the carpet and placed the desk on top of it). There was however, also newspaper on top of the plastic, so Megs would never have been in contact with the fungi itself, but may have been adversely affected by airborne spores. I can only think a bit of apple or something must have fallen down the corner and somehow started something under there plastic. Still, for it to all start as a swelling on an eyelid remains a bit of mystery. The vet also said that the fungi may have been a secondary infection.

So it would seem that this chapter is closed, largely an unsolved mystery. I do miss my poor girl and pray that she rests in peace. Thank you all for your interest and valued input in this case.

DQTimnehs

Ri-DQ-lously crazy 4 TAGs!
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Jennifer
Thanks for updating us, Kristy. Sorry it was not more clear as to what happened. And so sorry again that you and she went through this and that you lost her! :sadhug2:

birdlady

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Leslie
Hugs to you....wish you had clearer answers, but at least she is at peace...I know the babies I have lost are taking care of her now...

Sent from my SGH-T989 using Tapatalk 2

SandraK

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Palm Coast, FL. Carioca'55 when RJ was in GB.
Real Name
Sandra
:hug8::hug8::hug8::hug8:I wish there was more I could say.

AzaleaMist

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Amy
I am so sorry...:( :hug8:

Status
Not open for further replies.