• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here
  • This forum is for advice about initial treatment given to your injured/sick bird until a qualified avian veterinarian is available.
    THIS IS NOT MEANT TO REPLACE VET CARE

(Sad Update #98) White Capped Pionus with Rapidly Spreading Skin Infection

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mrcrowley

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Jim
Still makes me cry she was a sweetheart:(

unicornlady7

Real Name
Christa
:hug8:So very sorry for your loss...Fly high and free little Meg's!

ortegah

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Heather Ortega
I'm so very sorry for your loss :(

Chicobo

Real Name
Erin
Oh no...

I'm so so sorry to see this is the outcome of all of that struggle. Poor sweet girl. In some ways, I hope, her passing eased the strain on both you and on her -- it is absolutely heartbreaking to watch a beloved pet suffer and have no idea how to help him or her.

You did everything you could do, and that's all anyone could ask. You loved her, and she knew that. She's out there waiting, and no longer in pain.

Fly high, fly free, little one.

Thugluvgrl187

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Miriam
I'm so sorry for your loss. Many virtual hugs coming.

Sent from Miriam's Samsung Galaxy epic 4g touch Droid.

Coffee

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Kristy Fowles
Thank you again for your comforting words. I am very heart sore, I would have thought I would have run out of tears by now, seems not though .. To ease the pain I sometimes try to tell myself that she was just a bird .... But she was never "just" a bird, she was infinitely more than that.

I should be hearing from the vet this week regarding the lab results and will most likely meet with them on Saturday to settle my bill. I let them take care of Megs' body, they said that she would be cremated. My husband and I sat out in the garden and prayed together as a bit of a memorial, I also said my goodbyes .. Which I never got a chance to do .. Somehow I always believed that she would pull through.

I can't bring myself to sort out her cage and that yet. I still have her seed and veg in the fridge .. I ate two of her apples today .. I am also not able to face making plans about giving away her cage, trees and toys .. Thinking I may one day wish to own another fid. I don't want to be rash though as I am no longer a student and won't be able to spend full days with a new fid, the way I did with Megs.

I had Megs from when she was about 3 to 4 weeks old, I fed her Kaytee, weaned her and spent a lot of time with her .. But I fear that even she was taken for granted as time moved on, as i started working full time and when we bought a house .. I have prayed for her forgiveness over that and hoped that for the most part, that she did have a happy life and feel loved as my fid.

She had an amazing personality .. She couldn't talk, but loved to do the sound of the phone ringing (pre-cell phones) and would make the cutest little whine if you didn't scritch her when she wanted .. Even to the point of making you feel bad as she sad there and scritched herself .. If you said "head scratch", she would immediately bend her head forward in expectation of a scritch and saying "step up" largely meant prying her feet off the perch one by one, although she would never fight you about it. She would dance and spread her wings for the vacuum cleaner and loved to be blow-dried with a hair drier after a bath. Although she would never bath herself and was not impressed when her human thought it was time to do so. Megs even let me clip and file her talons whilst she stood about on my bed.

Cashew nuts were her favourite and she would look at you indignantly if you forgot to give her one .. She enjoyed dropping them into a shallow dish of water and making "nut soup". She loved her food, especially apple and watermelon (the seed treasure hunt was such a treat), she would scramble up her cage to get to her veggies as soon as I put them down for her every morning. No matter how much time I spent making her breakfast, her gratefulness always made it worth while.

Once she passed puberty, she became very placid and loving, she never tried to bite and if you wanted her to step up when she didn't want to, she would simply whine, the cutest, saddest little sound, but she would still comply. She never screamed or demanded her on way, the only things that upset here were children (bizarre one since she has never had any bad experiences with them), sunglasses, caps, cameras, cell phones .. and if you changed your hair style.. In which case she would puff up make what my mom refers to as "the squeaky bear sound" which sounded like one of those squeaky dog chew toys, just to inform you that she did not approve.

I really do have such fond memories and she has been in my life longer than my husband even ... She has seen me through so much and just always been there. There is a definite part of myself that died with her the day that her spirit departed. I do miss her.

I am now fid-less .. But you guys have all been such an amazing community of supporters, thank you so much for everything, especially the hope I needed to be strong when things were looking grim.

My husband sat with Megs on the Thursday that she was home, but not looking well, the day that we took her back to the vet. He came home from work just to see her. He had his quiet time with her and prayed and said to her that if she needed to go, that it was ok, that she could rest .. So sad, but he got his closure then ... My husband has never owned a bird before and although Megs was always seen as "my pet", he was deeply saddened by her illness and the loss of her. I do think that his first bird experience was a good one.

To be honest, I don't think I would ever really be ready for her to go, especially not so young ... But I know she will be waiting for me on the other side. My brave brave little girl, she was so strong through all of this. I love her, even in memory.

Goodbye Meggles, you were stronger and braver than I ever cold be.
Rest in peace my girl, one day I will meet you on the other side xx

Last edited:

Jeddy

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Jan
Kristy what a special place you had for Megs in your heart. I am crying reading your tribute to her. She was very lucky to have found such a wonderful home for her time here. Bless you and your husband.:heart:

Love My Zons

Cruising the avenue
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Claire
Yes this was very, very sad indeed. You tried your very best and she gave it a fight too. I hope that someday you can bring yourself to get another bird. :hug8:

Billie Faye

Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Billie Faye
I am so sorry to read of Meg's passing...I was so hoping she would pull through...
Beyond TheRainbow

As much as I loved the life we had and all the times we played,
I was so very tired and knew my time on earth would fade.
I saw a wondrous image then of a place that's trouble-free
Where all of us can meet again to spend eternity.
I saw the most beautiful Rainbow, and on the other side
Were meadows rich and beautiful -- lush and green and wide!
And running through the meadows as far as the eye could see
Were animals of every sort as healthy as could be!
My own tired, failing body was fresh and healed and new
And I wanted to go fly with them, but I had something left to do.
I needed to reach out to you, to tell you I'm alright
That this place is truly wonderful, then a bright Glow pierced the night.
'Twas the Glow of many Candles shining bright and strong and bold
And I knew then that it held your love in its brilliant shades of gold.
For although we may not be together in the way we used to be,
We are still connected by a cord no eye can see.
So whenever you need to find me, we're never far apart
If you look beyond the Rainbow and listen with your heart.

I truely believe Meg will send another bird to you....because of the love you have and the need of another bird for that love that only you can give...Keep your heart and mind open....when you least expect it but need it most....Meg will know and open the door....:hug8:

Sierra_N_Fids

Sprinting down the street
I am so sorry to hear Megs Passed away. I thought she would make it too. I stopped checking back because i thought she was fine =(. I feel so bad for your family and for Megs. I know how truly amazing Pionus parrots are. My mom has a white capped that we also hand fed, i can imagine what a wonderful relationship you had built. This makes me want to cry because i know how awesome J.b. is and how much you loved Megs, she was beautiful. Many hugs and prayers for comfort for you and your husband. I think when the time is right you should get another Pionus of some sort, Pionus have a personality like no other, the new bird doesn't have to be Megs but i think you will be disappointed if you choose another species. Pionus temperament is amazing. Take care:hug8::heart:

Lovebird Lady

Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Sylvia
:sadhug2:Sorry I missed your post, Kristy. My sincerest condolences on the loss of sweet Megabyte. She was a sweet angel, and now she is a sweet soul flying high. So sorry she could not be saved. Take solace in the knowledge that she knew she was loved in your home. I wish you could have found answers early on. Such a puzzling mystery :confused: :sadhug2:

Coffee

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Kristy Fowles
The vet said that they are still seeking a definitive diagnosis. I will let you all know as soon as I hear.

I am just sorry that I never really got to say goodbye ... I suppose deep down I never believed that this would be the end of her. Perhaps "See you soon" is better than "Goodbye" after all ..

Danita

Ripping up the road
Super Administrator
Chief Beak
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Danita
Goodbyes are very hard :sad1:

Daisy's Mom

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Tiffany
I am soo very sorry for your loss.. :sadhug: Fly free sweet little Meg.. :hug8:

Coffee

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Kristy Fowles
The vet has kept her ID Ring for me, so I will go and collect that this weekend. I was thinking about putting it on a chain .. and my husband suggested that perhaps I put together a photo book of her as a keepsake.

It's been a few days now, but I still feel quite sad .. I remember when Megs went to the first vet a few times and we were still playing the "wait and see" game regarding her diagnosis .. I had put her to bed already and when I walked passed her room, I heard her crying through the door. She was already losing her eye at this point. I sat with her and cried that night, I told her I was sorry and didn't know why this had to happen. It was about that time when I started this forum post.

I miss my little girl.

Thank you to Jasmine (Zydabird) for this beautiful tribute :
https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=10150954409842234&l=46a57643b5

Last edited:

Vegemite

Real Name
Lynne
Such sad news. Krisy, my heart goes out to you at this time. Fly high, little Megs - No more pain for you. Zydabird, that tribute is stunning

Status
Not open for further replies.