• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here
  • This forum is for advice about initial treatment given to your injured/sick bird until a qualified avian veterinarian is available.
    THIS IS NOT MEANT TO REPLACE VET CARE

Sad Update #165 - I think Bokka is going through Kidney failure

Status
Not open for further replies.

Billie Faye

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Billie Faye
YOU can keep him calm and get someone to drive you to the vets...sounds like he might be bleeding high up (charcoal color poops could be blood) and green bubbly poop is sign of infection....in his intestines...could he have gotten into something you didn't know about?
Get going to the vet...keep him in his blanket! The sooner you get him there the better off he is going to be!:hug8:

carlottalyn

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Carlie
I'm so sorry Mercedez... :( I'll second the earlier call a taxi suggestion if none of your family/friends can get there quickly. Huge hugs to both of you.

jmfleish

Cruising the avenue
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Jen
Mercedez, I'm so sorry that Bokka is sick but you have to take him to the vet immediately. You have no idea what is going on and it might be something you can treat. Taco was pooping dark, dark poop before he passed...it was e. Coli and totally treatable in most cases. Please, take him in...it might not be his kidneys at all.

April

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I'm so sorry to hear this,many :hug8: for you and Bokka.

luvsgreys

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Stephanie
Sending many prayers and healing thoughts for Bokka! :hug8: :hug8: I hope there is someone there that can help you get him to the vet!

Mystics Mom

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Tanya
Mercedez:hug8::hug8::hug8::hug8::hug8::hug8:

Gen120

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Victoria :)
Hoping and praying he'll be Ok and that you'll stay calm and be able to think straight- :hug8:

Chantilly Lace

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Chantel
I agree with others, get him to the vet. Maybe they can save him! If there were any hope whatsoever I would have been there already, and there is always hope. Just call a cab...the benefit definitely outweighs the risk at this point.

Birdbabe

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
:hug8:Hope everything turns out ok...keep us posted.

Yoyo'sMom

Jogging around the block
Real Name
Carol
I'm so very sorry you're going through this. Lots of positive thoughts and prayers coming your way.

Bokkapooh

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Mercedez
I've been calling people all morning. Finally reached my mom who reached my brother. He's on his way. Bokka is not good. Is not good. He's totally paralyzed, biting himself and delirious. Please pray for him.

birdlvr466

Hit the Road
Real Name
Pat
Oh Mercedez I am just seeing this. My prayers are with you and Bokka.:hug8:

Deej

Real Name
Deena
Praying hard for you and Bokka. :hug8:

srtiels

Ripping up the road
Mayor of the Avenue
Avian Angel
Real Name
Susanne
If your vet can supply you with Sub-Q fluids and show you how to inject them and the frequency this has been the one thing I have learned that can bring a bird out of renal failure.

This is something I saved from past postings, and the info has saved several past birds...
------------------------------------------------------------
They CAN be treated sucessfully and live a long healthy life.

Renal problems are not exclusive to diet or genetics. A simple accident where the tiel get wedged somewhere with the wings up...even for a couple of minutes can cause a chill to the kidneys...thus crystalization of the urates, and if not caught soon enough and the bird Sub-Q hydrated it can go into renal failure and die. Quick action of Sub-Q therapy can actually reverse the renal failure and save a bird. Clipped birds that have a draft going upwards can also suffer the same fate. Over the years I lost several birds this way (verified by necropsy's)

Excess protein in the diet can contribute to to renal problems and failure. A breeder friend of mine added powdered protein to her handfeeding formula to beef up her babies. Within 24 hours 11 out of 12 babies went into renal failure.

Pesticides or toxins can cause renal failure.

Typical indications of renal problems: The bird acts lethagic. The muscles feel bunched and tight. The eyes are slitted from excruciating pain. There is either blood (pinkish discoloration) in the urine, or the urates will be thin, gritty, and chalky looking.

Initial treatment would be a medication called allopurinol. Usually you will see a dramatic improvement with the bird within a day. Other helpful things are adding a small amount of cranberry or cherry juice to the drinking water. This helps to break down some of the crystals formed from the uric acid. Hulled oats (oat groats) helps to reduce uric acid levels. Celery greens and seeds are good for renal problems and act as an antiseptic to disinfect the urinary tubules. The silk from ear corn (organically grown or a herbal extract) will sooth the damaged urinary tract, and improve urine flow. Plus corn silk is a source of potassium, Vitamin C and K. Plain grass, roots and all (no joke, cats/dogs will eat this if they have urinary problems) will benefit both the liver and kidneys. Dandilion greens helps with the liver, but it also aids the kidneys by stimulating them to remove toxins in the urine. Coconut water (not the milk) will help with hydration and balancing the electrolytes in the body.

The above is a few simple things to help those with renal/kidney problems. I've personally used many of the above things to help the bird and not lose it.

Celery:
Celery is an excellent food that digests well with almost anything else. It contains the necessary mineral sodium, which is present in a ratio that can be easily accessed by the body. Sodium is critical, along with the mineral potassium, in managing the body's electrolyte balance.
Electrolytes create electric osmotic pressure which helps the body to move fluids through the cell's membranes. It can be eaten with any other fruit or vegetable.

GG.

Enjoy the small things
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
GG
I'm glad someone is on the way to help you

sending prayers and healing energy for Bokka :hug2:

itzmered

Welcome to Parrotdise
Super Administrator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Chris
:hug8:

KimKimWilliamson

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Kim Williamson
Oh Mercedez, I feel so sad for you, and scared for Bokka. I hope your vet can help stabilize him until you all decide whats best for him.
My thoughts are with you in this difficult time.

Love My Zons

Cruising the avenue
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Claire
I am sorry Mercedez and I hope that Bokka will be okay. Keeping you guys in my thoughts :hug8:

Status
Not open for further replies.