• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here
  • This forum is for advice about initial treatment given to your injured/sick bird until a qualified avian veterinarian is available.
    THIS IS NOT MEANT TO REPLACE VET CARE

Sad Update #165 - I think Bokka is going through Kidney failure

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bokkapooh

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Mercedez
I'm not sure what I can do. There is no miracle treatment on kidney problems. I don't want him to go. I'm not ready. Oh baby Bokkapooh. I love you. Please dont leave me.

Saemma

Ripping up the road
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
:confused: Why do you think he is going through kidney failure?

Birdiemarie

Feather Snuggler
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Marie
OMGoodness....:( :hug5:

Renae

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Oh dear, I know nothing about kidney failure, but I hope he will be okay. :( :hug8:

suncoast

Cruising the avenue
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Ginger
Mercedez you need to get him to the vet's NOW. They will be able to evaluate him and get him stabilized. And Sweetheart, even if it's his time to go, they will be able to help him through it with less pain and suffering. Prayers for the both of you.

Ginger

Billie Faye

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Billie Faye
What is the vet saying? What were the signs before hand? What is the vet doing to help him? What types of foods are you giving him or have been giving him for helping the kidney's after all the meds he has been on?
I am so sorry to read this....:hug8:

sl8tr

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Karen
Mercedez cannot imagine what you might be going thru. Hope you can get him to the vet for an evaluation immediately. You guys are in my thoughts and prayers.

WingedVictory

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Gary
Please if you have not already: start the bird drinking cranberry juice several times a day as well as Aloe-Detox. Does you avian vet have the bird on Allopurinol now? Dietary changes will also help.

Gary

Birdasaurus

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Andrea
Thinking of you Mercedez....:hug8:

Bokkapooh

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Mercedez
Please if you have not already: start the bird drinking cranberry juice several times a day as well as Aloe-Detox. Does you avian vet have the bird on Allopurinol now? Dietary changes will also help.Gary
Bokka was on Allopurinol when I first got him, but my avian vet at the time said he didn't need it at the time due to liver problems, and his kidneys appeared to 'get better'. His liver got better but He has always had kidney problems. My vet who saw him then, did tell he probably has only 10 years due to the severity of his kidneys. But He doesnt usually squirt poop out like a squirt gun, its not all watery, but whole and circular with perfect amount of feces/urate/water combo. This morning he has charcoal poop in his cage. But act 100% fine (except clingy) and was able to fly. Then he cuddled me for a couple hours. He was fine until an hour ago and half ago. He is acting partially paralyzed, drooping wings, wobbly, unstable, shooting bubbly water out, and he is fearful of the ground and acts like he doesn't know me. When he runs he rolls over. His eyes are full of fear. I did force feed him harrison mash with small amount of red palm oil. He also popped two bright green, bubbly poops. Right now he is cuddled up against my chest under the blanket and just beak grind. Yesterday I had a plumber and carpet person come by, lots of stress. My AV said stress can cause the kidneys to fail due to how damaged they already are. I want to get him to the vet NOW. But I don't know how. I don't want him dying on the way not knowing who I am if dying in my arms in my blankies more comfortable.. under my blanket he is calm, talking to me in a quiet voice, grinding his beak, tonguing my face, almost normal Bokka stuff. I don't know what to do. I can't think straight. He is the love of my life.

suncoast

Cruising the avenue
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Ginger
Mercedez, get someone to drive you to the vets so you can hold him.

Ginger

Saemma

Ripping up the road
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
:( Thanks for giving us more info Mercedez. I hope somebody can drive you both to the vet or a taxi?:(

Bokkapooh

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Mercedez
What is the vet saying? What were the signs before hand? What is the vet doing to help him? What types of foods are you giving him or have been giving him for helping the kidney's after all the meds he has been on?I am so sorry to read this....:hug8:
He hasn't been on any meds for his kidney problems for several years now. But I continue to take him to the vet twice a year to check blood levels to monitor his kidneys. His liver is healthy now. But he has always had kidney problems. He gets Harrisons, dry and softened with red palm oil and flax seed. He also gets a homemade blended juice concoction. Well all my birds do. As I drink it, they drink it. Every day he gets steamed carrots, sweet potatoe, squash in the winter, and bell peppers, peas and corn. He won't eat anything else veggies/greens wise. He eats all sorts of fruit. I was told more 'moist' foods will make his kidneys happy. So thats what I feed him. I moisten up almost all of his foods.

Last edited:

Bokkapooh

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Mercedez
:( Thanks for giving us more info Mercedez. I hope somebody can drive you both to the vet or a taxi?:(
Getting there isn't the problem, the problem is how Bokka will react. Right now he is content in my blankets. But when I get up, he wants on me but acts like he will faint. Edit: Oh you mean someone to drive us there. I'm caloing my family and friends to see if anyone can help.

Saemma

Ripping up the road
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Yes. I hope someone can come over and take care of the both of you. Bring you to vet and support you while you tend to Bokka.:)

all4stvoyager

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Sara
Aw, I am so sorry to hear this. He sounds a bit shocky. My heart is with you!

Status
Not open for further replies.