• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Removing PBFD from your home

mythic55

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
LOl yes I can mail it by courier ( week 8 of a mail strike here)
the F10 is pretty standard liquid. I've just bought some at lunchtime. I understand the fogging part of the operation is handled by a separate machine which I dont see advertised here. Anyway pm me when you're ready
I have the liquid.... need the fogger deal (looks like spray paint can). It is like a bug bomb.... except it kills a virus that kills our feathered friends
(not just annoying bugs)

Macawnutz

Seriously Nutz!
Super Administrator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Sarah
I would not continue looking for the fogger. Just put it in a spray bottle like you have and spray everything. You will have the same effect. For large items I fill the bath tub with water and F10 and let it soak. For items that can go in the washer I add F10 to the load. I have yet to have F10 ruin any surface...

mythic55

Avenue Veteran
Ok, well... first cleaning cycle is done. Everything is wet- there is no place to sit.
Furthermore, I can honestly say that I can eat off the cage.... it is nothing more than medical grade metal now. No love inside anymore.

I plan to get help- and we will all go through the home- we have a 'sprayer' for plants- which is easier for those with bad joints than the little spray bottle. We have a laddar, and we are spraying every wall- ceiling, you name it.
I also have the hazmat team coming in to steam clean everything once we are completed with the second round (takes about 6 hours to spray down the entire house). There will be no stone unturned.
Even the christmas presents are outside as they need to be unwrapped and wrapped again after being sprayed with f10.

I may be unreasonable. My husband says to slow down and think... but i cant. I just want this gone out of my life.
It took my babies life, and it still lives in MY HOME.
Since I got her- unless I was sleeping, I was never away from her for more than 2 hours a day total. And now I dont have to worry about the TV volume, or stopping the microwave at one second left so it doesnt beep. I dont have to make dinner and a separate plate for her, or pick up the toys when she drops them and says 'oopsie'.... I dont have to do anything and there is a void in my living room.... and a void in my heart.

Last edited:

Macawnutz

Seriously Nutz!
Super Administrator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Sarah
:sadhug:
Many of us have had these same feelings.

It will hurt forever... but does get easier.

Not anytime soon though. :sadhug:

ncGreyBirdLady

They call Me crazy like its a bad thing!
Administrator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Bonnie
:hug8: :hug8: :hug8: :hug8: :hug8:

RoxieW

Jogging around the block
Real Name
Roxie
My heart aches for you, :hug8:
I'm so sorry this happened, but completely understand the need to rid your home of PBFD that took your baby's life :(

iamwhoiam

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I think that you can take swabs of the walls, floors or other surfaces and then have those checked for the virus to make sure that it is not present.

Once again, I am very sorry for your loss.

lamagdalena

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Erika
I know where they live. But they are Arabs..... you cant touch them.

Thank you.... but hard to take you seriously with an image like that! :eek:
sorry, it's my halloween photo with my Tequila.

mythic55

Avenue Veteran
sorry, it's my halloween photo with my Tequila.
Its ok, really. I have very dark humor-

However I do have an update for everyone:
They took swabs of everything (including a couple closets). All came back negtaive except for the one crack right by her cage (I guess that is what you get when you are OCD). Since then.... I bought a 'plant sprayer' from the hardware store. I have sprayed down the entire house- ceiling walls, furniture.

I have realized that F10 Doesnt hurt any surface- I used it on silk, leather, seude, fur, etc.
So I just kept spraying. I went through 3 bottles of F10... and have been washing everything in strong bleach, or in F10- I thought for sure that my bedroom and bed would be full of it. But she says that not every piece of dust that flies off them contains the virus....
The air system gets cleaned tomorrow ($7,000 dhs) and then fogged (5,000 dhs more).

I think the key to not letting it spread on certain things is this:

Think about NOT moving things and treating, then moving things 30 minutes later and treating again. Your house will be wet!
I mean it will be soaking! all the walls will be dripping, countertops will be puddling, and fabrics will look stained. But once it dries it is fine. Squirt bottles wont do it- you need a hand sprayer- the superfine mist gets EVERYWHERE. Open your books, move your canned food, pick up your toothbrush!
The sprayer is the only way- spray bottle or a cloth doesnt work. The cloth removes too much moisture- it has to stay WET. So the rule is- leave everything in its place- sprayed the crap out of it!!!! Leave it 'damp' for at least 30 minutes (may need to spray again). Then came back, moved the items and sprayed again!

Bedding: Spray the crap out of it. THEN take the bedding off and wash in more F10 (when it is wet with f10- hard for the dust/particles to fly away). Spray the mattress with F10- then remove mattress- and spray the frame. THEN rent a super power steamer and steam the schnitt out of it.

Even if you never plan to get a bird again. Ensure you will never let this happen to another bird again.

camelotshadow

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Christine
Its ok, really. I have very dark humor-

However I do have an update for everyone:
They took swabs of everything (including a couple closets). All came back negtaive except for the one crack right by her cage (I guess that is what you get when you are OCD). Since then.... I bought a 'plant sprayer' from the hardware store. I have sprayed down the entire house- ceiling walls, furniture.

I have realized that F10 Doesnt hurt any surface- I used it on silk, leather, seude, fur, etc.
So I just kept spraying. I went through 3 bottles of F10... and have been washing everything in strong bleach, or in F10- I thought for sure that my bedroom and bed would be full of it. But she says that not every piece of dust that flies off them contains the virus....
The air system gets cleaned tomorrow ($7,000 dhs) and then fogged (5,000 dhs more).

I think the key to not letting it spread on certain things is this:

Think about NOT moving things and treating, then moving things 30 minutes later and treating again. Your house will be wet!
I mean it will be soaking! all the walls will be dripping, countertops will be puddling, and fabrics will look stained. But once it dries it is fine. Squirt bottles wont do it- you need a hand sprayer- the superfine mist gets EVERYWHERE. Open your books, move your canned food, pick up your toothbrush!
The sprayer is the only way- spray bottle or a cloth doesnt work. The cloth removes too much moisture- it has to stay WET. So the rule is- leave everything in its place- sprayed the crap out of it!!!! Leave it 'damp' for at least 30 minutes (may need to spray again). Then came back, moved the items and sprayed again!

Bedding: Spray the crap out of it. THEN take the bedding off and wash in more F10 (when it is wet with f10- hard for the dust/particles to fly away). Spray the mattress with F10- then remove mattress- and spray the frame. THEN rent a super power steamer and steam the schnitt out of it.

Even if you never plan to get a bird again. Ensure you will never let this happen to another bird again.

Congratulations you really showed that virus a thing or 2 & so happy you have made such great progress.

:hug8:

mythic55

Avenue Veteran
Congratulations you really showed that virus a thing or 2 & so happy you have made such great progress.

:hug8:
Thank you so much. Here things are still in a plastic bag in the garage that has been sprayed with F10. They have not made it to the rubbish bin. I walk up to them and start crying.
I thought that maybe a rescue- who had a PBFD positive bird would benefit. There is 6 bags of pellets, vitamins, disinfected toys, etc. But apparently there is no rescue here. When greys come in sick- they put them down. As my vet said this morning 'Dubai is evil, they have no humanity left'

At least I know that I will personally not be spreading this virus.

mythic55

Avenue Veteran
Another note about cleaning (I guess maybe someone may find this helpful if going through the same thing)
Often forgotten places:

Jewelry or makeup box
Purse
Inside of kitchen cupboards
Garage- including the lights/remotes
The fuse box
Behind the toilet/toilet paper
Outdoor furniture
Other pets toys- dog toy/cat toys, etc.
Your clothing- what are you wearing? wear plastic.... spray yourself. Then shower- scrub.
Under furniture that never moves- TV units, dressers, etc. But move these AFTER the first round.

I will also add. Stay calm. When disinfecting the parrot supplies and cage..... somehow at the end of the cleaning process, knowing all the virus was dead- but she was still not here.......her stand (4.5 ft all and 2 ft wide metal) 'slipped' (at least that is what I told my husband- moving very quickly across the patio) and ended up in the pool.
As it sunk down... it felt good. But... fishing it out.... not so much.

I may find more- and should probly put together a entire list on how to rid your home. It is not easy- but it must be done.

Last edited:

mythic55

Avenue Veteran
Furthermore: It is spread in the obvious ways- but mostly through feces and dust dander.

So while keeping your bird- cleanup. I dont recommend vacuuming as it can spread it. Instead, spray f10- regularly and wipe up after letting it sit for 30 minutes. and for those who are interested, there are two type of F10 sold. Both should be mixed to the top ratio regularly- the other ratio wont kill the super viruses.

F10:
One is the green version- which has some actual cleaner in it. It will create suds... which is ideal when you are doing floors, countertops, bathrooms and other hard surfaces/items because you can really 'see it' but it must remain moist for 30 minutes- so be liberal (8ml to the liter). I recommend this for: cabinets, floors, staircases, windows and adding to the washing machine. However, this must be rinsed off very well before exposing to things your other animals- so food dishes etc, should be scrubbed and then put in the dishwasher on a hot rinse cycle. Then follow up with the beige version below.

The second is the beige version: This is good for spraying and leaving. It has no residue (the other green has some....)- so it is ideal for sensitive furniture, etc. It has less odor also.
But in my experience thus far- it is more of a 'surface' cleaner, and needs many repeated coats. I do everything twice to make sure you didnt miss a spot. (then repeat tomorrow).

You will not be able to clean your house in one day. It needs 3 cleanings- preferably no more than 24 hours apart. Plan on taking the days off- and have help.
You also MUST turn off your AC or heat until you can have it cleaned. Otherwise you are just spreading the virus further (while you are working so hard to clean it). After the first cleaning, have your AC system cleaned.
Watch the cleaning crews- check on them! I caught a couple miss some spots with the spray on the wall, they were rather lackadaisical at first.

BTW- I interviewed many companies- they all said 'yes, it is like H1N1- we have cleaners that kill it', no not true. Ask them to use the product YOU want. F10 and Mango are what the vets use. (high concentrations of bleach and heat will work- but it will also ruin your house). Make sure they hit every wall.... and every ceiling. We dont have carpet or rugs- if you do in quantity, they should go or be cleaned a couple times in a row or removed.

Do NOT rely on 'foggers' alone. Clean like above, then fog. Then clean again. Then for a week- clean as you live.... doing your hair? did you spray the hairspray bottle that was in the back of the cabinet? did you spray the inside of the guest bedroom cabinets? etc.

Clean all the clothing in your closets. Wash what you can, and spray the rest.
Spray. Spray. Spray.

It will also make you feel better.

parrotluv

Avenue Veteran
You are doing a great job! Must give you satisfaction to know you are killing these germs that killed your baby. This is a healing process in itself. I know it doesn't replace your loss but you will have peace to know it will never affect another bird in your home.

camelotshadow

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Christine
:hug8: :hug8: :hug8:

So sorry you are going through all of this but be assured you gave a great life as she would have probably euthanized.
She showed you her love the short while she was here but you made that possible so try to be grateful for what you had together & remember her fondly as you did all that was possible to save her from this virus but there is no cure for it & sooner or later she would have succumb to it & I pray eradicating the virus as you have so well done will give you the satisfaction of clearing the house of this deadly bird virus.

I really feel your pain I think all of us do & hope with each moment you can rise above & find some sense of peace

:hug8: :hug8: :hug8:

mythic55

Avenue Veteran
Thanks guys- it is getting easier I think.... now im angry. I do have some great news!
I can get the foggers- they do 20 sq meters- so Im buying 20 bottles to start with. Ill test again after I fog the place.

The company said (and the vet agreed without hesitation):
The virus can and will travel on clothing, dust, etc. However, if every single piece of the virus could kill a bird- then no one could come into our vets office.
She said you have to take many things into account: how long the bird was there, what were your daily cleaning habits, where was the bird most often, do you have return air vents (I dont) etc. Other than setting a atom bomb off in my living room- this is a decent bet.

My house smells bad, and one of my walls look like a Jackson Pollock painting at a certain angle (accidentally used the solvent instead of the SC and maybe overdid it :o: )