• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Removing PBFD from your home

mythic55

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
There may be other birds out there that have the same thing...maybe you could foster those. Just a thought. I don't know how well you could hold up every time one of them dies though. But it may be your calling. :heart:
I was a foster. And it became a heartbreak, so I stopped.
Years later I decided: I need a grey in my life.
I dont want another bird.

mythic55

Avenue Veteran
We don't have the F10 fogger available in the US, but it is available in the UK (Meadows Animal Health and South Africa. So if you know someone in either of those countries who could purchase the fogger and ship it to you, that may be a solution. Perhaps your husband could bring a fogging machine back when he comes home from the US.
They DO or DONT have the fogger in USA?
I dont know anyone in either of those countries. Couldnt you put the F10 solution in a fogger? I contacted a bunch of comapnies- im waiting to hear back.

firdy num num

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Eden
I'm so sorry to hear that your grey passed, at least Siva is now in a better place where she can feel no more pain. :sorrow:RIP Siva, I'm no help but just am here to try and comfort you. :sadhug2:Once again I am sorry for your loss.

camelotshadow

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Christine
Maybe contact a marble floor expert but marb;e is sealed esp tough for floor use. The f 10 solution probably should be safe but contact someone or test a small corner in one room.

mythic55

Avenue Veteran
Maybe contact a marble floor expert but marb;e is sealed esp tough for floor use. The f 10 solution probably should be safe but contact someone or test a small corner in one room.
Cant find a marble expert on the internet that knows what f10 is. I will have to start calling around. I tested it on an area- we will see what happens.

After a lot of reading this is what I think I am going to do:

Remove all the bird items from the house, cages, toys, blankets, etc. (she was always on a blanket that got washed every day- never on the sofa, etc)
I will throw away porus type materials, toys, etc. The cage/bowels, perches- very thick solution of f10 on them... I will keep misting that with more solution every 15 minutes for 1 hour.
I will then power wash it off, let it dry, then do a heavy bleach mixture. Then powerwash again.

I will find a company that can steam clean the entire house with f10 (walls, furniture, etc). Anything that can be wiped down or touch steam will be.

Then I will get a hold of those f10 fog bombs and fog the place (including closets, etc) every week for 3 weeks.

*I cant seem to get myself to touch her things. I just start to cry.

Clueless

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
I am so so sorry.

camelotshadow

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Christine
I can imagine its quiet & seeing her empty cage must be very distressing.
At least now focusing on sanitizing & ridding the house of the terrible disease that took her life has kept your mind occupied & given it direction in this time of confusing emotions.

Floors are sealed hard. How are they washed? water OK. Find out more about f10 but it doesn't sound like a solvent that can cut through the sealant on the floor. /marble is very porous so it has to be sealed to be useful.

Testing a small spot & letting it dry a day will tell you if it looks any different.

What about that Mango cage solution ? that sounded good too. Not many people have heard of f 10.
I just learned about it from here. Its not well known

Good luck with the big give it back to that rotten little virus.
:hug8:

Bartleby

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Why not contact the makers of F10 and ask them about your marble conundrum? It seems that they would be the best resource on their own product.

mythic55

Avenue Veteran
I can imagine its quiet & seeing her empty cage must be very distressing.
At least now focusing on sanitizing & ridding the house of the terrible disease that took her life has kept your mind occupied & given it direction in this time of confusing emotions.

Floors are sealed hard. How are they washed? water OK. Find out more about f10 but it doesn't sound like a solvent that can cut through the sealant on the floor. /marble is very porous so it has to be sealed to be useful.

Testing a small spot & letting it dry a day will tell you if it looks any different.

What about that Mango cage solution ? that sounded good too. Not many people have heard of f 10.
I just learned about it from here. Its not well known

Good luck with the big give it back to that rotten little virus.
:hug8:
Your right... im still not thinking straight.
(I dont use water- I use a special conditioning marble cleaner- im slightly OCD).

I cant find the Mango here... the vets offices and pet stores sell f10 (but they dont have the fog bombs. I would need 14 bombs each time I do it (so if I do it 3 times- that is 42 bottles) and thats a lot of hide in a suitcase even if I did fly to UK or africa.
They said they cant ship/import into dubai. It cant 'Travel in air'... even in UK it has to be delivered by courier I guess. So im wondering if I can use a bug fogger- I contacted a couple companies and said I wanted to use f10- we will see what they write back.

If I were to launder items- for whites i can use bleach- but the fog is basically the only thing that would get it out- right?

camelotshadow

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Christine
Ask if you can put f 10 in your marble cleaner.
As far as the bombs guess it can't fly as it might explode. You're not going to be able to hide it.
See if f10 is temperature steam stable. Maybe you can add it to a steam cleaner?

mythic55

Avenue Veteran
Just got off the phone with the vet.
She said she thinks I am making too big of a deal about it. I am OCD, so things stayed extremely clean (she was not free flying around the house either). When she came she was astonished by the level of cleanliness. The cage and surroundings were actually cleaned twice a day, and when holding her I always wore a special robe- and she always walked on her blankets (all of which was laundered daily in bleach). Not saying the virus didnt get in my hair, clothing, the air, etc- but it is better than most and she was a baby, so it is not as if she lived here for 5 years.

So is going to come and swab now... 'so we can actually see what we are dealing with, but considering your cleanliness and the time she was there- I would debate whether or not just a good steam cleaning the entire house with f10 and changing the air filters would suffice'. But we will swab now, and after.

I can rent a steamer- and I can put the f10 in.... she said just go over every single surface (including walls- inside of cupboards, etc) and closet clothing. She said that while the virus still can exist- it is not always transferred like that. There are cold and flu viruses all around us all the time- it doesnt mean we will contract it. But I want it all dead. I wish I could hear them scream as they died....

I miss the way she smells.

mythic55

Avenue Veteran
"It takes more than one or two germs to create disease in an animal. Often the required dose is in
the millions or even billions of particles. Dose required depends on both virulence of the germ in question, and
the animal’s immune status. Increased dose leads to greater likelihood of disease, faster transmission, and
more severe disease."

She also mentioned since there is no carpet- and basically no fabric in general in the home (compared to people with big drapes, carpets, rugs, etc) you have a better shot than most of taking it out.

Gotta find out if F10 is steam stable... im checking that now.
If not- then a spray machine (thinking like a air paint gun). Everything will be wet for awhile... but thats life.

Last edited:

mythic55

Avenue Veteran
Oh, and someone said if there are small items.... spray with F10- then put in the dishwasher. The high heat, rinse after the disinfectant works well.

I have a question tho....
How do the fog bombs work?
They say that soaking an item (say a perch) in F10 wont kill the virus.... but a fog bomb will take it out of furniture?

I asked the company and they said that F10- if item is soaked for the right amount of time can remove it from the item- like a rope perch, etc. But you have to use the proper concentration. But the fog bomb will not remove it from the rope perch. But they stand by that it will remove it from the furniture? :huh:

camelotshadow

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Christine
Maybe a perch comes in full contact with the bird & furniture is a hard surface generally coated with wax or sealant
only covered with bird dust. How is the virus transmitted that's the question, air, feather dust, body fluids?
Guess that's a question for F 10. A rope perch is very porous & best to just throw those out anyway.

Irishj9

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
JP
We don't have the F10 fogger available in the US, but it is available in the UK (Meadows Animal Health and South Africa. So if you know someone in either of those countries who could purchase the fogger and ship it to you, that may be a solution. Perhaps your husband could bring a fogging machine back when he comes home from the US.
I live in Capetown South Africa, if you want to try this route

JP

mythic55

Avenue Veteran
I live in Capetown South Africa, if you want to try this route

JP
Can you mail it? at least a couple bottles for closets and such... I will pay you handsomely. We have PO box that will except packages (from my husbands work). They dont liek to accept packages- but we can let this go through. We dont have to talk about it here... you can PM me. I will build you a statue.

Greycloud

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I have been doing some reading and found that the only two products to kill the virus are F-10 and Virkon S. I know nothing of the latter but it is what is used by Avian vets and breeders in Australia. It is available most everywhere but sold mostly at farm supply stores.

mythic55

Avenue Veteran
I have been doing some reading and found that the only two products to kill the virus are F-10 and Virkon S. I know nothing of the latter but it is what is used by Avian vets and breeders in Australia. It is available most everywhere but sold mostly at farm supply stores.
Yes. I use f10... I bought out the entire supply from the store (only one importer) which was 4 bottles. I used one entire bottle already.
I guess it is funny because I was reading the same thing...'go to your farm store' farm store? farm store? I live in a place where more than half the year it is 112 degrees Fahrenheit. There are no farm stores.... this is the desert.
You can only get what they import, and they only import what the sheik allows on a basic level. It is Bologna. I do hear this Mango product works.... but I cant find it here. There is no 'Petsmart' or 'Target' to go to- and no delivery because there are no addresses. I have enough to basically bathe my house in.... I just want to do my part to kill this thing.

mythic55

Avenue Veteran
Good news is.... I tried the f10 on the marble... so far so good. So I put it in a sprayer and just stated spraying..... walls fabric etc (until the team can get here to deep clean the house). My entire living room is on the beach now.....

Irishj9

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
JP
Can you mail it? at least a couple bottles for closets and such... I will pay you handsomely. We have PO box that will except packages (from my husbands work). They dont liek to accept packages- but we can let this go through. We dont have to talk about it here... you can PM me. I will build you a statue.
LOl yes I can mail it by courier ( week 8 of a mail strike here)
the F10 is pretty standard liquid. I've just bought some at lunchtime. I understand the fogging part of the operation is handled by a separate machine which I dont see advertised here. Anyway pm me when you're ready