• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Re-homes parrot success stories please !

MotherOfBirbs

Meeting neighbors
I recently opens my home to a nanday conure a new home-her name is Annie- I’m looking for success stories. Success stories from anyone who adopted/took in a new bird who was possibly previously neglected, ignored, or just didn't have a great life before you. What are your success stories and what tips do you have to offer?
Thanks everyone !
Annie and I are getting along well for being new in my home tho I want to make sure I’m approaching everything correctly with her.

Hankmacaw

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Mary Lynn Skinner
Patience and if that doesn't work, more patience.

22 years ago I adopted as my very first bird a 19 year old wild caught male GW macaw that had been horribly abused for the prior 10 years. We made it though I don't know how and there were no internet forums nor much help then. I look back and the reason we made it through some very tough times was patience and a willingness on both of our parts to compromise. He was the meanest bird I've ever known when I got him and when he died 15 years later he was my heart.

Did I mention patience?

MotherOfBirbs

Meeting neighbors
Thank you for this. I’m so sorry for your loss too :( I can’t even think about when that day happens. I’m trying to have patience I just want to love on her but I know I’m still a stranger. When I think we’re getting somewhere something happens like today she bit me when normally she would step up. I’m also very afraid to have her on my shoulder so I take her down. She’s just to unpredictable for that. She’s definitely a roller coaster lol I hope she can learn to love and trust me someday

Begone

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Just some advices.
Don't handle her. Let she first settle in and find out on her own that she can trust you.
When she comes to you she is ready. (It can take weeks or months, but I can promise you that it is worth it. )
But be around her, give her some treats that she like, and be happy and calm. They can feel our emotions better then we think.
Never handle here when you are upset or angry.

Always avoid a bite. That she did bite you was to tell you that she first probably gave you several warnings and when you not listening she had no other choice then to bite you.

If I get a bite I hate myself for days, never the bird. I blame myself for not reading them well or didn't see their warnings.
That is what every bird owner should do.
Birds normally don't bite to be mean in an aggressive way, they bite for protection and because you not listening.

And thank you for opening your home to a rescue. ♥

MotherOfBirbs

Meeting neighbors
Just some advices.
Don't handle her. Let she first settle in and find out on her own that she can trust you.
When she comes to you she is ready. (It can take weeks or months, but I can promise you that it is worth it. )
But be around her, give her some treats that she like, and be happy and calm. They can feel our emotions better then we think.
Never handle here when you are upset or angry.

Always avoid a bite. That she did bite you was to tell you that she first probably gave you several warnings and when you not listening she had no other choice then to bite you.

If I get a bite I hate myself for days, never the bird. I blame myself for not reading them well or didn't see their warnings.
That is what every bird owner should do.
Birds normally don't bite to be mean in an aggressive way, they bite for protection and because you not listening.

And thank you for opening your home to a rescue. ♥
Thank you for this. I’ve had her for 5 days now. The second day I sat down with her cage open and she flew to me. At first she bit with her step ups then the next day she didn’t then today out of the blue she but again. She walked over like she normally does for a step up and just bit me. So while I’m sure she threw warning signs for some reason I didn’t see them and thought it was the normal “let me up” response but instead I got greeted with a bite :arghh:

Momo & Mido

Sprinting down the street
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Irene
Always great to hear that someone rescued a bird!

Momo came from a home where she stayed in a very tiny cage. They clipped her wings themselves, was being left alone for most of the time and only got seeds as her main food.
When I got her she was afraid of me and aggressive. So I just kept my distance. Let her out of the cage all day long and let her wings grow out. Over time she became curious and more confident and came and sat on my knee for short periods of time. Then she came over whenever we were eating, so I made sure we were eating salads (so we could share). Everyday we gave her seeds from our hands. It took a while, but after a year I definitely can say for sure that she trusts me. And that is the greatest feeling in the world!

Do you have some pictures of Annie?

Fuzzy

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Roz
Yes, I have 3 x rehome and rescue Amazons.

Ollie Orange-Wing was the first. Very scared of humans - even eye contact would send him scurrying to the back of the cage. Never thought I could ever touch him which was fine with me. He was cage bound for the first 1.5 years so after I worked on approaching him, I then worked with him inside the cage. It took 6 months to be able to touch his head and gently give him a scritch. He still has a phobia about hands which is fine. He will now step up on a hand held perch, he can touch a target, he turns circles on cue, he'll hold his feet steady so I can cut his claws. I also taught him to enter a travel cage for our house/country move (it took year to teach him!). He has climbed down on me about 2 or 3 times and stepped on my arm which I was amazed at. I love Ollie so much - he has gone from being incredibly fearful to swinging upside down on hanging gyms etc. He's a real clown now and enjoys life enormously despite having Aspergillosis (methinks from being stuck inside a tiny, incredibly filthy cage for 4 years). Ollie has been with me for 9 years.

Chico (Panama) is over 50 years old and came to me extremely aggressive towards women. His aggression nearly got him euthanized. It has taken a lot of work to be able to skritch his head through the bars of the cage and then without bars. It was very difficult to interact with him to begin with as he would just climb the bars to lunge and try to bite, despite being wracked with arthritis. He wouldn't take any treats so it was hard to find a reinforcer to work with. So I could only use desensitization until he realized he LOVED skritches. I've had Chico 5 years and it has only been this year that he has begun greeting me like he would a male human - by coyly scratching the side of his face. I feel we have an understanding now. He is just about blind but will come to take a treat from me when I tap the cage bars. To be able to clean out his cage, I get him to station for skritches so that he doesn't chase me. Here he is waiting for a skritch...

Bobbie Red-lored was unsure of me at first. She couldn't fly when she first arrived but over the 5 years she's been with me she has been practicing mostly using the settee as a landing pad. She gets so excited at take off she lets out a squawk. She's pretty good at flying now. She came to trust me pretty quickly and would rather hang out with me than with her birdie friends. I've taught her to target and turn circles on cue.

Would Annie bite if you offered your arm instead of your hand? Or get her to step up on a hand held perch for a treat? You want to try to get her out of the habit asap. So maybe use a perch whilst she's getting to know your arms/hands. Will she take treats from you? That might be a way of associating your hands/arms with something good.

When she does step up on your hand/arm, can you reinforce with a treat? Then put her immediately down again. When she's doing this with no hesitation, then start teaching duration (the amount of time she is on your arm/hand) before giving her the treat and putting her down again. So first time 1 second. Treat and down. Next time 2 seconds, treat and down. Reason for the treat is that she will be physically unable to bite you and reach for/eat the treat at the same time. Reason for putting her down immediately is so that she doesn't even have the opportunity to bite. She'll start to associate stepping up with good consequences. Later you can fade out the treat and use more natural reinforcing consequences like carrying her somewhere of value to her or playing with a favourite toy.

Last edited:

MotherOfBirbs

Meeting neighbors
Always great to hear that someone rescued a bird!

Momo came from a home where she stayed in a very tiny cage. They clipped her wings themselves, was being left alone for most of the time and only got seeds as her main food.
When I got her she was afraid of me and aggressive. So I just kept my distance. Let her out of the cage all day long and let her wings grow out. Over time she became curious and more confident and came and sat on my knee for short periods of time. Then she came over whenever we were eating, so I made sure we were eating salads (so we could share). Everyday we gave her seeds from our hands. It took a while, but after a year I definitely can say for sure that she trusts me. And that is the greatest feeling in the world!

Do you have some pictures of Annie?
That’s great to hear. I hope I can build a trusting relationship with her. I keep reading stories of conures (nanday specific) out of the blue becoming aggressive. So I’m worried she will never love me haha it’s silly I know. 6BF00982-46CF-4192-8E8F-7B21F5641DD8.jpeg

MotherOfBirbs

Meeting neighbors
Yes, I have 3 x rehome and rescue Amazons.

Ollie Orange-Wing was the first. Very scared of humans - even eye contact would send him scurrying to the back of the cage. Never thought I could ever touch him which was fine with me. He was cage bound for the first 1.5 years so after I worked on approaching him, I then worked with him inside the cage. It took 6 months to be able to touch his head and gently give him a scritch. He still has a phobia about hands which is fine. He will now step up on a hand held perch, he can touch a target, he turns circles on cue, he'll hold his feet steady so I can cut his claws. I also taught him to enter a travel cage for our house/country move (it took year to teach him!). He has climbed down on me about 2 or 3 times and stepped on my arm which I was amazed at. I love Ollie so much - he has gone from being incredibly fearful to swinging upside down on hanging gyms etc. He's a real clown now and enjoys life enormously despite having Aspergillosis (methinks from being stuck inside a tiny, incredibly filthy cage for 4 years). Ollie has been with me for 9 years.

Chico (Panama) is over 50 years old and came to me extremely aggressive towards women. His aggression nearly got him euthanized. It has taken a lot of work to be able to skritch his head through the bars of the cage and then without bars. It was very difficult to interact with him to begin with as he would just climb the bars to lunge and try to bite, despite being wracked with arthritis. He wouldn't take any treats so it was hard to find a reinforcer to work with. So I could only use desensitization until he realized he LOVED skritches. I've had Chico 5 years and it has only been this year that he has begun greeting me like he would a male human - by coyly scratching the side of his face. I feel we have an understanding now. He is just about blind but will come to take a treat from me when I tap the cage bars. To be able to clean out his cage, I get him to station for skritches so that he doesn't chase me. Here he is waiting for a skritch...

Bobbie Red-lored was unsure of me at first. She couldn't fly when she first arrived but over the 5 years she's been with me she has been practicing mostly using the settee as a landing pad. She gets so excited at take off she lets out a squawk. She's pretty good at flying now. She came to trust me pretty quickly and would rather hang out with me than with her birdie friends. I've taught her to target and turn circles on cue.

Would Annie bite if you offered your arm instead of your hand? Or get her to step up on a hand held perch for a treat? You want to try to get her out of the habit asap. So maybe use a perch whilst she's getting to know your arms/hands. Will she take treats from you? That might be a way of associating your hands/arms with something good.

When she does step up on your hand/arm, can you reinforce with a treat? Then put her immediately down again. When she's doing this with no hesitation, then start teaching duration (the amount of time she is on your arm/hand) before giving her the treat and putting her down again. So first time 1 second. Treat and down. Next time 2 seconds, treat and down. Reason for the treat is that she will be physically unable to bite you and reach for/eat the treat at the same time. Reason for putting her down immediately is so that she doesn't even have the opportunity to bite. She'll start to associate stepping up with good consequences. Later you can fade out the treat and use more natural reinforcing consequences like carrying her somewhere of value to her or playing with a favourite toy.
I love love love so much reading your success stories!!
So annie flew to me the second day after having her. I did start step up training with her and she was doing great stepping up one finger after the other. I know now her cage is her safety so I let her come out as she pleases. Usually while she's on top of her cage she doesn't bite except this morning. So now I'm home from work and just letting her fly and explore. Shes acting like she wats to step up but I'm not offering since she bit me before. I figure if she wants me she can fly to me. Tho she did fly onto a curtain and needed help so I helped her down. I guess I'm just letting her do her thing right now, letting her get used to her surroundings and explore everything.

cassiesdad

Ripping up the road
Weather Authority
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Bob Weisman
We adopted Cassie B Bird (LSC) in August of 2008...with no prior Cockatoo experience...we did have years of experience with smaller birds...budgies, tiels, conures, and finches. With no real internet connections, we went "flying blind"...with a cockatoo.

She was a very loved and spoiled bird for a long time...then for some reason (I never did get a reason why) Cass got banished to the basement...with predictable results...she picked herself clean from legs to mid chest.

So...there it was...a plucked 'too that was basically tossed aside.

We let Cassie set the pace. We'd open the cage...and go about our business. We'd talk to her, give ambient attention, and let it go at that. Over 3 or 4 months, Cass began to become comfortable...and decided to "give us a try"...her way. She'd come out of the cage...walk a few inches towards us...stop and look around...then scurry back to her cage. We acknowledged what she was doing, but not in an overly aggressive way...after all, Cass was calling the shots.

She did this for about another month getting further and further away from her cage...and imagine the absolute joy I had one day as I opened the cage and started to watch TV...I felt claws coming up my arm! Cassie had completed her "leap of faith"...and come over to visit me.

As time went on, Cassie became totally bonded to me....and became my "heart bird".

I love all my birds...but Cassie will always be "The One"...:heart:

MotherOfBirbs

Meeting neighbors
We adopted Cassie B Bird (LSC) in August of 2008...with no prior Cockatoo experience...we did have years of experience with smaller birds...budgies, tiels, conures, and finches. With no real internet connections, we went "flying blind"...with a cockatoo.

She was a very loved and spoiled bird for a long time...then for some reason (I never did get a reason why) Cass got banished to the basement...with predictable results...she picked herself clean from legs to mid chest.

So...there it was...a plucked 'too that was basically tossed aside.

We let Cassie set the pace. We'd open the cage...and go about our business. We'd talk to her, give ambient attention, and let it go at that. Over 3 or 4 months, Cass began to become comfortable...and decided to "give us a try"...her way. She'd come out of the cage...walk a few inches towards us...stop and look around...then scurry back to her cage. We acknowledged what she was doing, but not in an overly aggressive way...after all, Cass was calling the shots.

She did this for about another month getting further and further away from her cage...and imagine the absolute joy I had one day as I opened the cage and started to watch TV...I felt claws coming up my arm! Cassie had completed her "leap of faith"...and come over to visit me.

As time went on, Cassie became totally bonded to me....and became my "heart bird".

I love all my birds...but Cassie will always be "The One"...:heart:
This is the cutest thing ever!! 'toos are my dream bird ! I love their personalities so much. Im so happy Cassie bonded to you. My 'tiels are bonded to me, they were easier as they were hand raised, Annie is right now exploring my place. I figure if she wants to come to me she will. Currently shes sitting on the window looking out. She has flown to me here and there but flys off soon after. I hope someday she can become at least half as cuddly as my 'tiels.

TikkiTembo

Real Name
Chelsea
I've got no good advice from personal experience since I'm in the same boat, but I'm sending hugs :hug8:
Annie is lucky to have a caring and attentive owner, and one day, we'll be able to celebrate the love we get from our Nandays together!

MotherOfBirbs

Meeting neighbors
I've got no good advice from personal experience since I'm in the same boat, but I'm sending hugs :hug8:
Annie is lucky to have a caring and attentive owner, and one day, we'll be able to celebrate the love we get from our Nandays together!
I cant wait!! I was actually trying to find a way to msg you this morning after she drew blood on my finger lol just to share in the nanday mom struggle :roflmao:

cassiesdad

Ripping up the road
Weather Authority
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Bob Weisman
I cant wait!! I was actually trying to find a way to msg you this morning after she drew blood on my finger lol just to share in the nanday mom struggle :roflmao:
I think you have to have 25 posts to PM..you're not that far away...so keep on posting! ;)

Ripshod

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Linden
I'd been a foster carer for more years than I care to say. But in the last year I decided I'd had enough of looking after other peoples' fids, getting attached then saying goodbye, and that I was ready to give a few birbs a forever home. I have a tiel, a GCC and two lovies in my care now.
I really want you to read Tau the tiel's story, but it is a long one. So I hope you don't mind that rather than rewrite the story I give links to the threads on here in chronological order.

Two New Challenges | Avian Avenue Parrot Forum

Tau - A Wee Update | Avian Avenue Parrot Forum

Tau makes the weight | Avian Avenue Parrot Forum

Tau Had a Whoopsie | Avian Avenue Parrot Forum

Flying Soon | Avian Avenue Parrot Forum

A Little Update | Avian Avenue Parrot Forum

Momo & Mido

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Irene
The goal we had with Momo was: as long as she is happy and healthy we did a great job rescuing her. The bonding and trust part is extra. I was just happy that we could create a better situation for her. I guess we downplayed our expectations and are now so thankful of all the love she wants to give. In the beginning my boyfriend said: We have to keep in mind that this could be the situation we will be in forever with her. And even that was fine with us.

Reading your story, you are already giving her so much. This is already a better situation for her to have someone paying attention to what she wants and needs. For her it might be still an unsure situation. But it sounds like her curiosity towards you will overcome her fear.

People might not agree with me. But I would say, leave the tricks, like stepping up, for a while. Just let her get to know her surroundings and you. If she wants to be with you, she will come. First there has to be a feeling of safety before you are able to learning. It works like that with humans, so it might with birds aswell.

I love this threat though! These stories are lovely to read!

MotherOfBirbs

Meeting neighbors
The goal we had with Momo was: as long as she is happy and healthy we did a great job rescuing her. The bonding and trust part is extra. I was just happy that we could create a better situation for her. I guess we downplayed our expectations and are now so thankful of all the love she wants to give. In the beginning my boyfriend said: We have to keep in mind that this could be the situation we will be in forever with her. And even that was fine with us.

Reading your story, you are already giving her so much. This is already a better situation for her to have someone paying attention to what she wants and needs. For her it might be still an unsure situation. But it sounds like her curiosity towards you will overcome her fear.

People might not agree with me. But I would say, leave the tricks, like stepping up, for a while. Just let her get to know her surroundings and you. If she wants to be with you, she will come. First there has to be a feeling of safety before you are able to learning. It works like that with humans, so it might with birds aswell.

I love this threat though! These stories are lovely to read!
They warm my heart and thank you so much! I wonder if I just got overly excited with her flying to me the second day and when I started working on step ups it was great but still perhaps to soon since she is new. So yes lately, (after the morning bite :roflmao:) I am just letting her fly around, explore all while keeping an eye on her. She has flown to me, on my shoulder I am cautious not to move to quickly or anything but she's only there for a few minutes then she fly's off. When she wants to spend time with me she will come over and hang out I figure. I was just in the living room and she was calling for me and peaking her little head around the corner to see what I was up to. IT WAS SO CUTE! LOL

jh81

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Jan
I have 3 rehomes... 3 different stories also!

First i got Kaya, shes my little sweetheart! She’s a Senegal parrot, which can be a feisty species, but Kaya is none like that. She is very strong willed though. She really wants to spend every waking hour glued to my cheeck :)

When i went fulltime working again i wanted her to have a companion. Luck would have it i walked into a pet store and there was Jaco. I have absolutely no background info other then that he doesnt like men. He likes Kaya though, and that has always been my main goal. We have an understanding and i can usually do whatever it is that i need to do without him biting me. He goes nuts when my mom comes over though, he absolutely adores her.

Then in 2016 i got an Orange Winged Amazone... and boy has that been a rollercoaster i sometimes wish i never had :) Luka is fairly traumatized and absolutely afraid of everything! Her first months she spend in a cage with nothing but one perch, 2 bowls and papers on the floor. To this day shes still afraid of... well everything really, but at least she now has real branches and some toys.

I was actually about to send Luka off to a special parrot care facility where she would spend her days with same species. I didnt think she would ever be happy arround humans.

Thats when i ran into Coco! She belonged to an elderly couple who had to send her away because they had to go to an elderly gome that didnt allow pets. Sad really.. but lucky for me. Coco is a real cuddlebug. They said she would occasionally take a treat, but nothing more. To me shes ever so different! She wants scritches all day, and prefers beeing as close as possible. She does like to hang out with Luka as well, and although Luka is very unsure, so they maintain a few cm distance at all times, they do seem to learn from eachother! Luka would always step up, but never without fear. Coco showed her it isnt all that bad and since yesterday she actually seems to WANT to step up! As a result, i have decided to hold off the transfer fir a while, and see if maybe Luka CAN be happy arround humans :)

Momo & Mido

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Irene
She has flown to me, on my shoulder I am cautious not to move to quickly or anything but she's only there for a few minutes then she fly's off.
It took almost a year before Momo liked my boyfriend. What he did was always give her a treat when she flew to him. Now... she is glued to him.
So maybe you could have little treats to give her whenever she flies to you? Gives her something to do when she is with you and the association with flying to you will be positive.