• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Two New Challenges

Ripshod

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Linden
I've recently taken on 2 grey 'tiels. They're very young but showing some yellow round the face so I believe they're boys. The vet originally said they were girls, but he was rushing over 100 birds through triage so he could get to help the sickest as fast as possible. They're unnamed as yet, don't need to get too attached just yet.

First, meet number 2:
Arrived home very quiet and very weak
_20181217_163929.JPG Had no tail feathers and virtually all his flights were broken and hanging useless so I had to cut them right back. Also had grazes to his cere and one leg, along with crash injuries to the front of his wings. These were cleaned with just water.
He had a good drink and a high protein, high carb, high sugar meal and went to bed.

Now number 1:
Again, very quiet and weak, lame on his right leg
_20181217_164002.JPG
Again no tail feathers and mutilated flights. Had the same problems as #2. Examined his lame leg. Lots of bruising but he grabbed my finger like his life depended on it so OK for now. Fed him and he joined #2 for the night.

When I got up this morning I sorted the other birds first. When I uncovered them they were both stood tall looking at everything they could. Almost seemed over-excited. Gave them a seed mix and fresh water and left them to feed. Left them for an hour, cage half covered with the doors open so they could hear then others.
The time I'd dreaded arrived. I had to handle and examine the birds. I was expecting claws, nips and screams and that's what I got. Decided right then that I didn't want to handle them again. They had really good grip do I've put them in their forever cage. Towel fashioned into a safety net near the bottom as we expect falls.
The situation right now.
#2:
_20181218_125447.JPG
And #1:
_20181218_125517.JPG
Let nature take it's course now, but I'm confident these guys will recover just fine. Just the fear of me to get over, with these that's my biggest challenge ever.
I'll keep this thread updated.

MommyBird

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Debbie
this is so painful to see these guys, I feel for them. And again I am so glad they are with you
Prayers for them and all the other victims.

Tiel Feathers

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Deanna
I’m so happy you are able to take in these two tiels. Poor babies sure look like they had a very rough time of it. I hope they will be okay and I can’t wait to see how they thrive in your care.

Ripshod

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Linden
The last photo today. Things really are looking good. They are both interested in eating, drinking, and some mutual preening.
These really are 2 tough little birds. I'm so proud of them already :yes4:
_20181218_193003.JPG

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
They are just precious. Thank you for helping them.

AviMom

Sprinting down the street
I agree, you are so great for helping these poor babies. They will quickly lose their fear of you, and will realize you're helping them. I hope they grow stronger every day, and thrive in your care. Keep us uodated, and post lots of pics of these precious angels

Ripshod

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Linden
I could tell before I opened the door to their room the are definitely getting back to normal. They were both calling in response to the budgies in the lounge, I left the doors open for them. Breakfast was a fresh boiled egg with brown rice, wheatgerm and groats.
I can now work near the cage and move round it without them bouncing round the cage (we've all seen and hate when they do that) .
I did something I wouldn't normally do. I've stepped forward in my own training program, and sat right at the side of the cage talking to them. They never backed off. Their eyes were on me but I saw no fear. They didn't just sit still. One at a time they'd move down and grab some food then come back. I stayed chatting with them for an hour, trying to learn a bit about them. One thing I have noticed is their very calm temperament. I think I'm going to enjoy these 2.
The redness has gone from #1's eyelids but there's still some obvious swelling. I think he'll keep his eye but I'm ready for him to be blind in it. In any case it's not slowing him down any.
So far the day has been about exploring, biting and preening.
The saying goes 'A picture says a thousand words' so here is a couple of thousand words:
_20181219_131745.JPG
_20181219_132403.JPG

Last edited:

Ripshod

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Linden
They do look so much better! do look like girls.
I'm kinda believing that the vet was right and they are girls. Certainly not as loud as the boys I've come across, and the yellow on their faces and their cheek patches are duller under FSL than under an incandescent light.
Looking to maybe name them soon.

Ripshod

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Linden
Nothing really new to report. Eating, drinking, pooping, preening, calling, playing. Everything I'd expect from new healthy birds.
#1 had a fall from the very top of the cage and was saved by the safety net. She struggled for 10 minutes trying to climb the vertical bars at the back of the cage. She obviously couldn't see the horizontal bars just to her right. I had to step in and she gladly accepted a lift with a wood perch.
Small steps ;)

Tiel Feathers

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Deanna
What great updates!:dance4: I love the pictures, And wow, they are settling in so nicely!:heart:

greys4u

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
:thankyou:for taking in those babies, shows what a little love and attention will do

Begone

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
I think you gave them the best Christmas gift ever! ♡

Thank you from the bottom of my heart! ♡ ♡ ♡

Ripshod

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Linden
Got a shock this morning.

#1's eye still wasn't open so I decided to wash it, and prepared myself for the pain. Got everything ready, grabbed my wooly hat and went to the cage. Still no alarm in them. That's still eerie but I'm getting used to it. Opened.the door and they both turned to face me. My hat was ready along with the perch but I did something silly. I brushed my finger down #1's abdomen to her feet and she stepped up for me.
OMG!
That wasn't it though. Seeing this #2 jumped onto my wrist to join us. I had to sit down a while and enjoy the moment. I don't know whether it was just submission or the birds really wanted this. I suspect the former but hope for the latter.
#2 then stepped to my left hand when offered and then onto the training stand so I could deal with this eye.
It was a quick job. I didn't need the hat. Yes she protested and had a little nibble on my thumb, but it definitely wasn't an attack. Applied some water to the eye and left it a while to soak, before a good wipe removed the gum and her eye was open. :D
I did a few checks and she seems to react to movement on her right, whether she's just seeing shadows I can't tell just yet.
She stepped back onto my finger, we collected #2 from the stand on the way back to their cage and they both stepped up calmly onto the main perch. How sweet that was. Treats all round.
I can't believe that happened.
Phoned the vet's office this morning. Initial results: Nothing parasitic, contagious or toxic detected. My tiel can join my flock today - and trust me they will.
In the first pic you can see how red #1's eye still is. In the second you can see just how swollen it is now. Nowhere near as bad as it was, but still bad.
_20181220_104240.JPG _20181220_104317.JPG

Last edited:

MommyBird

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Debbie
OMG, isn't that amazing and wonderful that they are not scared of people! :loveshower:
I sure hope something can be done for that eye. Has the vet given any antibiotics for it?
It sounds like you could even get away with giving them orally without too much stress.

Ripshod

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Linden
Both birds were injected with Piperacillin and Prednisone was given orally as a matter of course. Sure one of them is antibiotic. The eye itself is clear with no wetness or discharge so I'm not overly anxious for them to have any meds they don't need.The vet will actually be calling at my flat to see how the girls are doing some time tomorrow.
Now they have had a chance to rest and time for bruising to go down he'll have time to check their crash injuries to make sure they're healing okay. Both birds have been exercising their wings so I have no concerns.

ETA: Piperacillin is the antibiotic - just googled it.

Last edited: