• ALL Threads/Post in Rehome Highway will be reviewed for compliance to forum guidelines before being approved.
  • Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Questions about rehoming a bird from craigslist

Status
Not open for further replies.

marian

Cruising the avenue
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Jeanna all you can do is try...if i were you I would go meet the bird as soon as you can.Then go from there.

pineview01

Rollerblading along the road
and your thinking is correct
450 for a B&G is a Great price
add the OBO and it shows they do not care! Add in they said nothing else except that and it shows even more THEY DO NOT CARE

they just want it gone. They probably have to split what they get off of it with the person they're divorcing and if they're not wanting to do that they'll sell it for less and say "That's all i could get out of it"

but still shows they truly don't care about the bird what so ever
Yep! They don't care and this bird needs you. See if they offer a number so you can talk and get a "feel" Go with $400 in $50's and see how low they go. I'd for sure think they will go for 400 cash as they state OBO.

HungryBird

Don't pay more than $300 or $400 at the most. I wouldn't pay even that much. I would say "Look, you can't keep the bird and I can give it a good home. If you'd rather make a tidy profit go sell it to someone else".

April

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
The Macaw for $450 never got back to her,she is now looking at adopting another B&G for $850.

pineview01

The Macaw for $450 never got back to her,she is now looking at adopting another B&G for $850.
I would E-mail them again if the ad is still up and ask if they still have the bird.

I e-mailed one lady about a cage four time before I heard from her. Everytime I asked if I could come see it she would write something else back. I think she was just scared about someone coming to her home and I can't blame her.

When I went to a different ladies house to get a cage she had somebody sitting in her driveway in a truck while we where there. She talked to the lady and she left but I noticed she did a couple drive by's. I believe they where just being smart, they didn't know us.

If she keeps trying, she may hear back yet.

evsrin

I would E-mail them again if the ad is still up and ask if they still have the bird.

I e-mailed one lady about a cage four time before I heard from her. Everytime I asked if I could come see it she would write something else back. I think she was just scared about someone coming to her home and I can't blame her.

When I went to a different ladies house to get a cage she had somebody sitting in her driveway in a truck while we where there. She talked to the lady and she left but I noticed she did a couple drive by's. I believe they where just being smart, they didn't know us.

If she keeps trying, she may hear back yet.
The only response she got from that girl was "450 OBO" and nothing else... so I highly doubt she's just scared of someone coming over.

Leza

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Annaleza
Spokane is pretty far, all the way across the state. I think the Portland, OR area may actually be closer.

I found a double macaw cage on craigslist that was only used 6 months. I could always buy that since it's faster than ordering one and no store around here carries them. Do you think he'll come down on the fee if I take just the bird and he can sell the other stuff separately?

i would do this, usually people selling a bird and cage are not in it for the welfare of the bird, just the price they paid for the stuff, cage, etc. he may want to sell the cage for more if its without the bird.

Sharpie

Avenue Veteran
I have gotten many critters and things off of CL, and it all depends on the situation and the people. Most times I wouldn't WANT the cage that people are offering to sell with their birds...

Now, if you all don't take this girl: HI MY NAMES TILLY I might have to! Except I don't really have room for another giant cage. She's what I want, only about two years too soon. Le sigh.

allison

Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Allison
If you want the other macaw and the ad is still up I would just email her and say "I'll give you $400 for the macaw" and nothing more, no questions, etc. Sounds like they are just interested in the $ and don't care about anything else. If you get there and the macaw looks unhealthy or is not what you thought, you can always say no. Then you can get the bird and that double macaw cage you found for probably less than the more expensive macaw you are looking at now.

Bokkapooh

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Mercedez
There are actually two macaws in the area in need of a new home. A ruby and a scarlet. Though I'd love to take one of them in, I don't think I'm ready for a mature scarlet macaw or a scarlet hybrid with baggage.
Parrot
HI MY NAMES TILLY
I'd go check out the ruby. He has a LARGE cage so you wont be needing to upgrade him for a while, and he looks like he needs some loving:heart: I'd take him if I had room for two macaws, but I do not, one is truly enough for me.

The scarlet is over 15 years of age, and scarlets are truly not at all bad birds, not at all! They are no different than blue and golds. The only thing that makes them different is that they are brighter and more colorful and kind of like cockatoos in their sensitivity department and intelligence. They can also be slightly more beaky than other species of macaws, but not at all hard to deal with. Why not you go check her out? It'll be a good reason for you to come over one of these days? You could bring your macaw and we can have a scarlet macaw day:D:p

Bokkapooh

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Mercedez
Here is a illigers macaw in Graham, not "too" far away from where you are now. And about the same size as your grey ;)

Illiger "Mini" Macaw w/cage

That ruby is truly precious:heart:
Parrot

Young baby blue and gold macaws
Bolivian Blue and Gold Macaw | Alsea | eBay Classifieds (Kijiji) | 2991227

Do you want a Hyacinth?
Hyacinth Macaw | Burlington | eBay Classifieds (Kijiji) | 6059552

I think they still have this miligold
Miligold Macaw Parrot | Raymond | eBay Classifieds (Kijiji) | 5648864

You willing to drive to Medform Oregon?
blue and gold macaw | Grants Pass | eBay Classifieds (Kijiji) | 6556343

I emailed the people with the 1y.o blue and gold macaw, I'll see if they still have her. I didnt ask any questions, and only said I'd pay $400 for her (NO Im not getting her just trying to help you out a little and get a response from them). I'll let you know if they respond.

Michaelg

Riding the Skies
Avian Angel
Real Name
Michael
You might want to see if they will allow a vet check before completing the deal. If the bird is sick or needs treatment, they pay for the vet, or make a more significent price adjustment. If the bird is OK, you pay the vet and get bird for a pre agreed price. Over the last 32 years, I've gotten birds from various sources including 3 off Craigslist.

jeanna

Sprinting down the street
Avenue Veteran
Thanks Allison and Mercedez! I think I will check out the ruby and the scarlet, which seem like the two most in need. I'll try contacting both of them tomorrow. I've been around more B&G and militaries than I have scarlets, which I've always heard were moodier and nippier than the other species.

I also just made contact with the person selling an HQ double macaw cage that was only used for 6 months, but is 2 years old. I'm going to go look at it and see if he will take less than the $395 asking price. I've never bought anything besides concert and football game tickets on classifieds, so this whole pet rehomes and used pet supplies thing is all new to me.

jeanna

Avenue Veteran
I called this lady about her macaws after my dad sounded less than enthusiastic about having an adult bird in the house that we didn't raise and don't know anything about. He thinks they'll have bad habits and not bond with us or something like that. :rolleyes: Though it is going to be my choice since it will be my bird. Anyway, that breeder has multiple clutches - 10 babies! I guess no one is buying them and three of them are about a year and a half old. She's even willing to drive up to her other place in Puyallup with several of the birds for me to meet. I wasn't considering buying one from a breeder, since I personally have never been a fan of buying a pet, but that's what my dad would prefer. And ultimately it's his money so he does get somewhat of a say. At the same time, it makes me sad that the older ones are still there without homes and probably not getting that much attention. The breeder told me she has basically resigned herself to the fact that she'll have to keep the oldest. That's the one I'm most interested in. I told her I'd contact her again tomorrow about everything. I should just not meet the younger babies because it is sooo hard to say no to little baby macaw faces!

I'm still going to meet Sammy and I did email the Ruby's owner. Watch, I'm going to end up with like 4 macaws to take over my house because I fall in love with them all! :lol: How do I decide what to do? It'll be whatever bird I feel the most connection with, but it's going to be so hard to decide with so many birds who need good homes.

jeanna

Avenue Veteran
Well I just talked to my dad about the whole situation. He wasn't as supportive of the rehome idea as I thought and wants to get a young one from this breeder. I'm a little disappointed because I was looking forward to giving an older bird a new start to life, but all birds need homes. But I pretty much know nothing about this breeder, so it should be interesting. She's bringing several babies up ranging from June hatches to 1.5 year olds for me to meet on Sunday. She's sending me pics later today and I'll make sure to post pics on Sunday in a new thread.

I feel really bad that I'm going to have to tell Sammy's owners that I won't be able to take him. All because my dad saw the rehoming fee and said that we might as well get a baby for that price.

Michaelg

Riding the Skies
Avian Angel
Real Name
Michael
It looks like you and your father are getting caught up in the enthusiasm of the situation and are now "running on adrenaline". Please stop and consider the situation a bit more before taking any of the actions you've discussed. I don't mean any offense, but my impression is that you and your father do not have a clue about what you would be getting into. Please attempt to get more insight as to what is involved, and experience with macaws, before acquiring any, so that you and your father might have even half a chance to effectively live with one (or more). There is a reason that so many lose their homes!!

I am not saying that you should not get a macaw. I am suggesting that you do what you can to not have an adoption disaster.

Last edited:

jeanna

Avenue Veteran
It looks like you and your father are getting caught up in the enthusiasm of the situation and are now "running on adrenaline". Please stop and consider the situation a bit more before taking any of the actions you've discussed. I don't mean any offense, but my impression is that you and your father do not have a clue about what you would be getting into. Please attempt to get more insight as to what is involved, and experience with macaws, before acquiring any, so that you and your father might have even half a chance to effectively live with one (or more). There is a reason that so many lose their homes!!
The reason why there is some haste to this is because I have a very small window of time that I can add a new bird. My dad is leaving the country on Thursday because his mother is dying and he will be gone for at least a month. I could wait until he comes back, but by that time I might be adopting Cheerio the U2. I want to be able to give whatever new bird I get some time to be the new bird before having two new birds that need to be quarantined and assimilated into the family. And we have been considering adding a macaw for about 2 years, it was just me that didn't know if I knew enough about them to really consider getting one despite reading published literature on them. Then I discovered this board a couple months ago and after reading hundreds of posts about living with a macaw, I realized that I CAN give one a great home.

We DO have a clue about what we're getting into. We may not have actually owned large birds before, but we've both been around the noise, mess, cost, bites, and every "drawback" to having a very large bird enough to have a good idea about it. The only time we have ever rehomed a bird that didn't die naturally or lost when a 5 year old let them out, was my old conure who was placed in another home while the house was being remodeled and really bonded with them after 6 years with us. I will never rehome any of my birds unless I was dying or the bird was IN LOVE with someone else who could care for them just as well.

So given the short window of time that I am comfortable with adding a new bird, I would like to because I can. I have all the resources needed and if I need help with anything, I know several macaw owners personally, some others live around me that are on the board, and I have this board to turn to as well. I was not picky about which bird I get, I just wanted to give one a home that I knew I could accommodate. It just happens that I've always had a father who likes to get me everything I ever mention wanted, and he knows I do enjoy babies. So like all the birds I've ever had, whatever bird I get will have the very best care and everything it would ever need. If I felt that it needed an indoor/outdoor aviary, we have the space and means to get started on it immediately. So I have a great home for any bird, not all of them but at least one or two more than the one I have now. Why not give a home to a bird who needs one, whether it is a rehome or a young one from the breeder who has no buyers?

Michaelg

Riding the Skies
Avian Angel
Real Name
Michael
Then I'll say it now, "I told you so!"

Good Luck

P.S. It takes 3 to 5 years to get "together" with a significant hookbill, if there are no real rapport problems.

jeanna

Avenue Veteran
Then I'll say it now, "I told you so!"

Good Luck

P.S. It takes 3 to 5 years to get "together" with a significant hookbill, if there are no real rapport problems.
Well that works out perfectly then. I have at least a year before I go to grad school for 2-5 years depending on if I go for my MPH, JD, or PhD. Until I have my final degree in hand, I won't have to work and so I will have more time to focus on getting to really know them and training them to be well-adjusted. And when the time comes that I do need to work, I would know in advance to get them used to a certain set schedule. If I move for school, the birds will come with me and I will be getting a house, not an apartment. Or some could stay at my parent's house for a couple of years.

I do not think I should wait until I'm past 30 to get a bird that can live 80 years. No one is guaranteed tomorrow, but being in my early 20s, if I can live to be a hundred, my birds can spend the majority of or their entire lives with me. The whole reason why I've waited to add a macaw is because I felt I was too young, too irresponsible, and didn't have a clear enough direction in life to have a large, demanding bird. I do feel I am ready now and I have thought this through for many many months. The contents of this post may not show that, but a bird could do much much worse than end up with me.

allison

Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Allison
I'm sorry your dad won't let you adopt an older macaw.
Michael, there are people who can commit their entire lives to a bird. Just because most don't, doesn't mean that Jeanna won't. She has done a lot of research and has spent time with larger birds. It's not fair to judge someone who you don't even know.

Status
Not open for further replies.