• ALL Threads/Post in Rehome Highway will be reviewed for compliance to forum guidelines before being approved.
  • Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Questions about rehoming a bird from craigslist

Status
Not open for further replies.

jeanna

Sprinting down the street
Avenue Veteran
1. What do you consider to be a reasonable or low rehoming fee?
2. Do you deal with the owner through email until you agree to pick up the bird or do you try to meet the bird first?
3. Do you pay the asking price or do you try to bargain with them to bring down the rehoming fee?
4. What are important things to ask about the bird that I might forget to ask?
5. Anything else I should know?

Just wondering... :innocent:

tibanks

Real Name
Tina
]1. What do you consider to be a reasonable or low rehoming fee? I think this depends on the species. I got my congo from CL two yrs ago she was 14 mos old..she and her cage were $600

2. Do you deal with the owner through email until you agree to pick up the bird or do you try to meet the bird first?I dealt via email asking a few ? about the bird then exchanged numbers. I met the bird and had an instant connection..Had the connection not been there I would have looked else where

3. Do you pay the asking price or do you try to bargain with them to bring down the rehoming fee? She was asking $700, I asked if she'd take $600. cash, and she was fine with it. Considering that I knew what she paid for the bird and the cage was very large and nice..I felt like I was getting a bargin.

4. What are important things to ask about the bird that I might forget to ask? Age, reason for rehome, what type of routine does the bird have, like's dislikes, what is the bird use to eating, any health problems, how many homes has the bird had, use to other animails, kids etc...Bedtime routine..I know there are many other questions.

5. Anything else I should know? Do not buy on impulse, meet the bird and go with your feeling. Make sure the bird looks healthy, try to get a look at the vent, droppings in the cage, are the eyes clear and alert, are the nostrils clean and open? And if you have other birds be sure to quarantine.

evsrin

Rollerblading along the road
Well I think with birds, the rehoming fee has a wider range depending on what kind of bird it is. Personally, I'm very against an individual charging anywhere near what they paid for the bird and cage if it comes with one. I don't like the excuse of "Bird and cage is $400, paid $500 for cage"... because at that point they are just trying to make money off the cage when it's an item the depreciates just like a dog crate for a dog does. If I don't like the cage I'd offer to take the bird without it. If it is just the bird alone I'm getting, I would only be willing to pay what I think is "reasonable" and not them making money...

I would try to reason with them if the fee is high, I'd say I'm willing to put money in an account with the Vet, or I'm willing to go out and buy stuff for the bird... and if all they see is money being taken from their pocket then I'd sadly just walk away from that situation.

I would talk through email or phone several times and then want to go meet the bird. When I go to meet it, I would observe everything and even ask some questions they already answered before, just to see if they are being honest or trying to hide something. If they are trying to hide something, then they are not going to want you to to spend the time meeting the bird, they'd rather you just take it and give them the money... I would just do my best to steer clear of that situation!

Well that's how I feel about it. I offer a wonderful home and if people really want a wonderful home then they shouldn't be concerned about you giving your money to THEM, because that's less money you can spend on whatever it is you're adopting.

That's my thoughts on the matter... I'm sure you will get alot of different opinions though.

BTW-I agree with everything Tina said.

jeanna

Avenue Veteran
Wellllll... there's a 1 year old B&G macaw on CL that I am looking into adopting. She's still a baby and already being rehomed due to divorce. A B&G has always been one of my dream birds and it just made me sad to think that she might be rehomed again and again in her young formative years, especially as she starts to get hormonal. So she caught my eye and I emailed the owner with a nice, thought-out email about what kind of life and home her macaw could expect to have with me. I asked what the rehoming fee was and if she came with a cage. She sent me back an email that simply said "450 OBO" and NOTHING more.

It makes me think she doesn't care at all about where the bird goes as long as she gets a good amount of money for it. I just replied asking again if she came with a cage and if so, what size. The rehoming fee isn't high, but I'd rather spend the money on the bird, you know? Plus I've never really believed in buying a new family member.

tibanks

Real Name
Tina
Erin brings up some good points, if the people are more concerned about the money and not the welfare of the bird then I have a hard time dealing with these folks.

I also forgot to mention that when setting up the appointment to see the bird let them know you are just coming over to meet the bird and not buying at that time. You want to make sure there is some kind of connection, not to mention you want to see the temperament, I like to see the bird interacting with its care takers. I also want the people to get a good feeling for me so that they feel comfortable placing the bird with me..If they are stand up folks they will care where the bird is placed. If everything feels good let them know your interested and set up a time to get the bird.

I always like to sleep on my decision..but that's just me.

Kathy

I agree with what's already been said.
I got my CAG Sporty from craigslist. I put up a wanted listing and a lady emailed me and said she'd take 500 for him and his cage. I got her down to 400. It was an older cage he'd lived in all his life but the powder coating was worn off in many places and starting to rust. Soon after getting him I got him a much larger newer cage.
Beakner was 150 from craigslist. His cage looks new and he loved his previous owner but the was given up because of no time for him.
I talked on the phone and went to see both birds. I asked lots of questions before getting either one.

evsrin

Wellllll... there's a 1 year old B&G macaw on CL that I am looking into adopting. She's still a baby and already being rehomed due to divorce. A B&G has always been one of my dream birds and it just made me sad to think that she might be rehomed again and again in her young formative years, especially as she starts to get hormonal. So she caught my eye and I emailed the owner with a nice, thought-out email about what kind of life and home her macaw could expect to have with me. I asked what the rehoming fee was and if she came with a cage. She sent me back an email that simply said "450 OBO" and NOTHING more.

It makes me think she doesn't care at all about where the bird goes as long as she gets a good amount of money for it. I just replied asking again if she came with a cage and if so, what size. The rehoming fee isn't high, but I'd rather spend the money on the bird, you know? Plus I've never really believed in buying a new family member.
Yikes! Well in this situation, I actually think that price is pretty low but makes you wonder why:confused:

Idk... tell them you want to come meet the bird and you are very serious about getting her. If you go meet her and really just want to get her out of there then go ahead and offer them less. Say $350, or $400 at the most. People don't put OBO in there unless they are willing to take less. Sounds like she will go to whoever goes over there and makes an offer first.

That's incredibly sad........ I just woundn't go putting too much $$$ out in this situation, considering it's almost a given that they don't really care and just need the money.

People suck!

allison

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Allison
1. What do you consider to be a reasonable or low rehoming fee?
It depends on the species, but the fee should be bellow what you would get the bird for from a breeder and the cage should be less than you could buy it new.

2. Do you deal with the owner through email until you agree to pick up the bird or do you try to meet the bird first?
I would meet the bird, also, I would have a conversation on the phone to get a better feel for them and to be able to ask as many questions as you want that might pop into your head.
3. Do you pay the asking price or do you try to bargain with them to bring down the rehoming fee?
It depends, if you feel the price is too high, just tell them. IE: "I've been comparing prices, and for your asking price, I could get a baby bird of the same species and a brand new cage, would you consider lowering the fee?"
4. What are important things to ask about the bird that I might forget to ask?
#1 is vet history, than diet, favorite treats, favorite activities, daily routine, favorite toys, etc.
5. Anything else I should know?
Do not be afraid to ask questions, and do not be afraid to just walk away if something doesn't feel right.

Edit: $450 is really good for a B&G I would not lower it IMO, even at rescues, the rehoming fee for macaws is generally $500-600.
Especially if this is a young macaw. I would see if she comes with a cage or not, and maybe offer $400 if she does not in order to get a proper cage.

Last edited:

atvchick95

Biking along the boulevard
Real Name
Kelli

and your thinking is correct
450 for a B&G is a Great price
add the OBO and it shows they do not care! Add in they said nothing else except that and it shows even more THEY DO NOT CARE

they just want it gone. They probably have to split what they get off of it with the person they're divorcing and if they're not wanting to do that they'll sell it for less and say "That's all i could get out of it"

but still shows they truly don't care about the bird what so ever

finerground

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Jess
I kinda brought this topic up yesterday...here is what I found on CL about a Blue and gold Macaw---the ad just said "parrot" and when you clicked on it, it showed a picture and said...

"Blue and gold macaw with cage.
Re-homing fee applies.
Email for more information"

so I emailed because I was curious and this is the response I got...

"We have 6 macaws, 5 cockatoos, and two other parrots. He is 500. Without cage and 600 with."

I wasn't interested in buying, just interested about the bird...so I sent this response...

"What is his temperament? Does he have any health issues? Any weird behaviors? Any specific "do not's" ? I have 3 children...how would he like that? My U2 came from a home with a yellow fronted amazon, so I know she get's along with other birds. Is he a talker? Also where are you located, and what is your reason for giving him up?"

Just a very basic line of questions...didn't get into diet etc...i was just being curious.

Well, I got no reply...none. People on CL are strange sometimes, I would be careful.

jeanna

Avenue Veteran
It makes me wonder what kind of care the bird is receiving if the owner seems so careless about letting her go. And yes I do wonder what issues the bird might have, but I am willing to work with most behavioral issues. After getting that 2 word reply, I am even more interested in getting him before some ignorant person with no experience thinks the macaw would make a great pretty pet and offers $500 for him.

I sent another email saying I forgot to include my number and that I'd love to meet her bird. Wish me luck!

Also, being the creepy stalker that I am, I looked her up on facebook. She looks like she's 20 years old! And she's getting divorced? So yeah, I am very curious about what kind of situation the macaw is in.

Last edited:

evsrin

It makes me wonder what kind of care the bird is receiving if the owner seems so careless about letting her go. And yes I do wonder what issues the bird might have, but I am willing to work with most behavioral issues. After getting that 2 word reply, I am even more interested in getting him before some ignorant person with no experience thinks the macaw would make a great pretty pet and offers $500 for him.

I sent another email saying I forgot to include my number and that I'd love to meet her bird. Wish me luck!

Also, being the creepy stalker that I am, I looked her up on facebook. She looks like she's 20 years old! And she's getting divorced? So yeah, I am very curious about what kind of situation the macaw is in.

It's not stalking............ it's investigating! :muahaha: Good luck, I would try to see what the least amount she will take once you get there.

Theresa

AKA TMS
Administrator
Chief of Police
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
She sent me back an email that simply said "450 OBO" and NOTHING more.
I would NOT assume she doesn't care just from this. It could very well be that she has gotten tons of emails, went into great detail in telling these people about the bird, and when the question of money came up, the people bailed on her :(
She might just be sick and tired of repeating it over and over again. If you have a phone # for her give her a call, and see how you feel. If you don't send her a polite email and ask the questions so they can be answered with a yes or no answer.
Example: Does he step up?
Is he on a pelleted diet?
Easier for her to respond to. Good luck :)

Edited to add that I started this post about 2 hours ago, and just discovered that I forgot to post it LOL

Last edited:

jeanna

Avenue Veteran
I'm trying not to assume, but I was definitely hoping for an email that included more than just a dollar amount. Or something that shows that she at least read my email and gave it some amount of consideration? Maybe she was just busy this morning. I am hoping she calls me!

And the price she's asking is not much, but that's $450 that I can be spending on a play stand, towards a huge cage, on toys, etc. I feel so stingy about rehoming fees because of that!

Bokkapooh

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Mercedez
I'm trying not to assume, but I was definitely hoping for an email that included more than just a dollar amount. Or something that shows that she at least read my email and gave it some amount of consideration? Maybe she was just busy this morning. I am hoping she calls me!

And the price she's asking is not much, but that's $450 that I can be spending on a play stand, towards a huge cage, on toys, etc. I feel so stingy about rehoming fees because of that!

Perhaps if your worried, you might want to sit this one out and get a huge cage and playstand in advance before bringing home your next new fid?

Theresa

AKA TMS
Administrator
Chief of Police
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award

I am glad you are giving her a chance to respond. I have my foster girl Sophie on CL and some of the emails I've gotten :eek: this one in particular makes me giggle, the man told me he has "an ovarian doctor, ovarian groomer" and she would live "in the ovarian room where the Latino Cockatiel lives" :huh::huh:
Spelling is not my strong suit, but this was just :omg:

jeanna

Avenue Veteran

Perhaps if your worried, you might want to sit this one out and get a huge cage and playstand in advance before bringing home your next new fid?
Do you know if there's a store around here that carries macaw/cockatoo sized cages that are at least 48x36? Or is online shopping my best option?

I am glad you are giving her a chance to respond. I have my foster girl Sophie on CL and some of the emails I've gotten :eek: this one in particular makes me giggle, the man told me he has "an ovarian doctor, ovarian groomer" and she would live "in the ovarian room where the Latino Cockatiel lives" :huh::huh:
Spelling is not my strong suit, but this was just :omg:
:lol: That's hilarious! I don't think avian and ovarian even sound enough for that to be a spelling mistake. And he actually had great spelling, just the wrong words!

Bokkapooh

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Mercedez
Do you know if there's a store around here that carries macaw/cockatoo sized cages that are at least 48x36? Or is online shopping my best option?
Apollos is the only store I know thats nearby. But I do know Kathie of mybirdsafestore.com can get alot of stuff for you and nicely priced, same with Nikk's store fancyparrotboutique.com which has nicely priced cages.

Status
Not open for further replies.