• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Potential Cockatoo Owner....

Fia Baby

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Beth
As far as the honey moon period goes, this is also your opportunity to set up a good structure and routine for her while she's still trying to get the lay of the land. Be as structured and as disciplined as possible now, while she's uncertain, in order to give her less opportunity to adopt bad habits and expectations.

faislaq

I have macaws and don't post enough pictures
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Karen

BirdEE

Walking the driveway
As far as the honey moon period goes, this is also your opportunity to set up a good structure and routine for her while she's still trying to get the lay of the land. Be as structured and as disciplined as possible now, while she's uncertain, in order to give her less opportunity to adopt bad habits and expectations.
What type of behaviors can I expect in the honeymoon period?

Fia Baby

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Beth
You know - when you're on your best behavior. Only it won't be because she's trying to impress you, but because she's just not comfortable enough to let her hair down. I expect she'll be quieter, more reticent, less reactive to you (fewer impulses to bite, less inclined to throw her crest around, dance, sing, play wildly...). And you never know, she may never bite you or scream her head off. She may be a relatively easy moluccan - I do believe they're out there! Good luck!! I'd really try to listen to the "between the lines" information of her current owner. There may be another reason, besides the new job, that's lead him to decide to get rid of her. I'd never let a job come between me and my 'toodle!

BirdEE

Walking the driveway
You know - when you're on your best behavior. Only it won't be because she's trying to impress you, but because she's just not comfortable enough to let her hair down. I expect she'll be quieter, more reticent, less reactive to you (fewer impulses to bite, less inclined to throw her crest around, dance, sing, play wildly...). And you never know, she may never bite you or scream her head off. She may be a relatively easy moluccan - I do believe they're out there! Good luck!! I'd really try to listen to the "between the lines" information of her current owner. There may be another reason, besides the new job, that's lead him to decide to get rid of her. I'd never let a job come between me and my 'toodle!
I was thinking the exact same thing. Which is what I’ll be trying to read closely. Someone who wants to get rid of their bird usually has a reason. So I’m hoping he’s being 100% truthful about it being only the job. But I’m also realistic and realize that’s probably not the only reason. I mean, If your Cockatoo is a biter it’s not like you’re going to tell people “oh yeah. You can’t trust her”, when you’re trying to rehome her. I will say, and I don’t know if it’s a good or bad sign (because he could be just trying to make a bit and not take as big of loss), but I don’t feel as if he’s trying to make money off her. He’s asking “the price of her cage, car carrier and all her toys”. And the price he’s asking is only slightly more than half the price of a baby Moluccan. And really about the price of a large well built cage ~$1000.

Last edited:

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
What type of behaviors can I expect in the honeymoon period?
The first months we had our 'too. He was very quiet. He talked but rarely screamed. He would only talk for me though, not my fiancé. I think because he had a crush on my fiancé. LOL. When he was out, he spent most of his time playing on top of his cage quietly. So much so, that I was concerned. (@JLcribber, I believe told me not to look a gift horse in the mouth- he was right.) He would come to us for short periods of time but then want to go back to play with his toys on his cage. So, basically, he was on his best behavior.

Now, although still a love, he is crazy bird. He screams a lot. Flies everywhere. Is into everything. And unfortunately, has bitten my fiancé. I think he's testing his boundaries now? Not sure. I just hope I pass the test. LOL.

Laylatoo

Jogging around the block
Mayor of the Avenue
You never know though. My 4 year old rose breasted cockatoo was sold to me because her previous owner was starting a new job and would be traveling more. She is seriously the best bird ever. I still keep in touch with her previous owner who adores her. She came to me well socialized and loved and there was no honeymoon period. She settled right in immediately. As a Craigslist rehome I still pinch myself to think of how lucky I was to find her. Maybe you’ve found the same:)

I was thinking the exact same thing. Which is what I’ll be trying to read closely. Someone who wants to get rid of their bird usually has a reason. So I’m hoping he’s being 100% truthful about it being only the job. But I’m also realistic and realize that’s probably not the only reason. I mean, If your Cockatoo is a biter it’s not like you’re going to tell people “oh yeah. You can’t trust her”, when you’re trying to rehome her. I will say, and I don’t know if it’s a good or bad sign (because he could be just trying to make a bit and not take as big of loss), but I don’t feel as if he’s trying to make money off her. He’s asking “the price of her cage, car carrier and all her toys”. And the price he’s asking is only slightly more than half the price of a baby Moluccan. And really about the price of a large well built cage ~$1000.

BirdEE

Walking the driveway
You never know though. My 4 year old rose breasted cockatoo was sold to me because her previous owner was starting a new job and would be traveling more. She is seriously the best bird ever. I still keep in touch with her previous owner who adores her. She came to me well socialized and loved and there was no honeymoon period. She settled right in immediately. As a Craigslist rehome I still pinch myself to think of how lucky I was to find her. Maybe you’ve found the same:)
That’s definitely exciting! I’m hoping this is the same way. I love Moluccan’s, and to have a super sweet one with temperaments like you explained, I would feel like I won the lottery!

That’s really great it worked out for you like that. It gives me hope too.

JLcribber

@cockatoojohn
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
John
The honeymoon is the easy part. There’s nothing really to know there. That is the time you need to learn about your bird and become familiar with them. It’s when the honeymoon’s over and the real bird starts to show up. You might be lucky, or you might not be so lucky. Time will tell. A great deal depends on your skills as a handler.

JLcribber

@cockatoojohn
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
John
One thing that is in your favour is that this bird is a female. It’s usually the males that turn into egomaniacs.

Just-passn-thru

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Suzanne
Honeymoon works both ways, most times in the beginning when people get a baby Cockatoo they fall in love with the cuddly fluffy white baby bird. They over handle coo and awe . Then life gets in the way and start losing interest or something happens and no longer have time.bird becomes a screamer, bitter, because it no longer has the attention it got. It's those early days that mold the behavior in most cases. I recommend you consider realistically how much time on an daily basis your willingly able to interact with this bird.For starters keeping the bird in a quiet corner of your house where family members congregate. Just let her take it all in. Without overwhelming her with to many demands to be handled is a good start.

Nancy B

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Nancy
You can read and research about cockatoos until your eyes bug out. You will never be prepared for that cockatoo. Trust me.
I find that what you read does help if you're trying to figure out body language or what has worked for others. Just as children don't come with manuals, there's many books on parenting, and we prepare the best we can but each child is unique. The same is true for my Freddy. We've had him since early December and I can see its a long time to get to know him each day he's a little different. His personality is emerging but I know we don't fully know his personality yet. Not sure how long that will take. That just depends on Freddy. He's funny, playful and inquisitive. He can also be mischievous and destructive. His curiosity keeps him investigating and into everything! We love him so much though.

BirdManDan

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Dan
[USER=55]@JLcribber[/USER] has it right with possibly one point. That being I wouldn't call it pliers but rather wire cutters. I have rehabed several toos and they can be a little troublesome but so can any larger bird. That being said with proper training all birds can be great family friendly parrots. Congratulations on the up coming too.
images (5).jpeg of all species!!!!!

JLcribber

@cockatoojohn
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
John
[USER=55]@JLcribber[/USER] has it right with possibly one point. That being I wouldn't call it pliers but rather wire cutters. I have rehabed several toos and they can be a little troublesome but so can any larger bird. That being said with proper training all birds can be great family friendly parrots. Congratulations on the up coming too.
View attachment 275151 of all species!!!!!

Tika’s full name is “Tika the knife”. Fully earned.

Begone

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Yes to this! :)
I think that the most important in the beginning is to be calm, consistent and don't handle them at all in a demanding way. Just try to be their friend, but always stick to the routines. And that is the routines that will never change. You will set up a working plan for this. Important!

Honeymoon works both ways, most times in the beginning when people get a baby Cockatoo they fall in love with the cuddly fluffy white baby bird. They over handle coo and awe . Then life gets in the way and start losing interest or something happens and no longer have time.bird becomes a screamer, bitter, because it no longer has the attention it got. It's those early days that mold the behavior in most cases. I recommend you consider realistically how much time on an daily basis your willingly able to interact with this bird.For starters keeping the bird in a quiet corner of your house where family members congregate. Just let her take it all in. Without overwhelming her with to many demands to be handled is a good start.
Yes this and also when they handle the bird to much in the beginning when it's still very uncertain it can lead to aggressive bird after settle in.
This combined to not reading and understanding their body languish could later be your worst nightmare.
It's so much better to always give the bird less time, then to give a lot in the beginning, and then you realize that you can't do that every day. A bird will never understand why, more then to feel abounded and not loved.

The best medicine if they are doing something bad is always to think that is happened for a reason.
For an example:
The bird was screaming and when you let it out you got bit.
Wrong reaction:
I will not not let the bird out of the cage because the bird will bite, or, I will punish the bird, first I scream at him in a angry way and then I put it back in the cage.
Correct reaction:
Birds always bite for a reason, birds always scream for a reason. It is up to you to find out why. And never be angry, it was probably your fault that the bird bite.
And a bite is not personal, it will hurt your feelings but remember that that is only a egoistic feeling. If you instead realize that you can learn something from this it will feels better.
One of my rescues where having some really bad behavior when I got her, but she had a reason for that.
Every time I was thinking what a rough and sad start she had in life when she was doing something bad, and that was helping us. I where always sorry for her sake and never took it personal. And she was realizing that I wasn't gonna hurts her, and that I would love her no matter what she was doing. After just some months she was bonding to me, and today I know that she will never hurt me and I trust her to 100%.

And I will also say that I'm different from others here that are saying that a bite is something to expect.
I don't think it is. I prefer to think the opposite, but I'm also good at reading them and leaving them alone/not interacting with them if they are not in a good mood.
And also when I'm interacting with them I'm calm in a happy and loving way.
Trust is something that must be their in both directions, for that is what is working.

I mean, If your Cockatoo is a biter it’s not like you’re going to tell people “oh yeah. You can’t trust her”, when you’re trying to rehome her.
I don't believe that any bird is a "biter". It can be a biter in that environment and with those people but in another environment and with other people it can be the sweetest sweet heart.
I think that birds are easy to handle in that way that if you give them love you will get love back. And if you expect a bite, you will get bit.

I think that you will be a great parront, as long as you realize that this is a life long commitment. And that is no matter what happens and no matters what they are doing.
They are so sensitive, and if you give them up you will break their heart. That is the most important thing to think about.
And also you can't travel without them, you will need to take them with you if you are having vacations.
If you have two birds it will be easier, but you can't leave them to long as they always will be sad as a part of the family/flock isn't their.

cassiesdad

Ripping up the road
Weather Authority
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Bob Weisman
I don't believe that any bird is a "biter".
I agree totally. Birds don't wake up in the morning and think to themselves, "It looks like a great day to bite someone"....