• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Potential Cockatoo Owner....

cassiesdad

Ripping up the road
Weather Authority
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Bob Weisman
I don't know about that. I think Shannon, YNA, wakes up every AM thinking that. :D
Well, there are some birds that have "terrorist" thoughts from time to time...Tika the Knife is one of those for example @JLcribber could tell you about that...;)

Nancy B

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Nancy
Oh no Freddy has been snappy lately. I walked by him yesterday as he was sitting on a chair and he hissed! A full blown, crest up, hiss-Bob motion. I looked at him and said "really Freddy?" And he chirped his cute little chirp that makes me want to kiss him to death. But I didn't feel like an emergency room visit lol. I like the analogy they have a chain saw on their face. Freddy's probably got more like a paring knife but still don't want to feel that!

Nancy B

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Nancy
You know - when you're on your best behavior. Only it won't be because she's trying to impress you, but because she's just not comfortable enough to let her hair down. I expect she'll be quieter, more reticent, less reactive to you (fewer impulses to bite, less inclined to throw her crest around, dance, sing, play wildly...). And you never know, she may never bite you or scream her head off. She may be a relatively easy moluccan - I do believe they're out there! Good luck!! I'd really try to listen to the "between the lines" information of her current owner. There may be another reason, besides the new job, that's lead him to decide to get rid of her. I'd never let a job come between me and my 'toodle!
This is true, I am desiring to change jobs to make things easier with Freddy! Plus I am tired of retail, I want to find something with more of a set schedule will be easier for the whole family, especially Freddy. No, I wouldn't let a job interfere with my pets. Ask questions about her. I wouldn't let it scare me away from getting her, but I would want to know all about her.

cassiesdad

Ripping up the road
Weather Authority
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Bob Weisman
I walked by him yesterday as he was sitting on a chair and he hissed! A full blown, crest up, hiss-Bob motion.
Was that the first time you got a hiss from Freddy?

I know the first time I heard Cassie hiss (at my wife, naturally) I thought it was crazy...

Just-passn-thru

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Suzanne
And he chirped his cute little chirp that makes me want to kiss him to death. But I didn't feel like an emergency room visit lol.
Bentley's my Male MM2 is 2-faced. I've caught on to his wicked ways . He gets all sweet and fluffy and makes kissing noises and puts his beak between the bars of his cage making little sweet noises saying kisses. I got suckered a couple times . I don't want any lip piercings at my age.
:bored:

Nancy B

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Nancy
Was that the first time you got a hiss from Freddy?

I know the first time I heard Cassie hiss (at my wife, naturally) I thought it was crazy...
Yes it was! And I said REALLY FREDDY? I WILL REMEMBER THAT THE NEXT TIME YOU WANT TO EAT! I swear he can tell what I'm saying! He immediately put all his feathers back down and chirped. Haha! It was like he thought OH CRAP SHE FEEDS ME! His body language changed. Lol

cassiesdad

Ripping up the road
Weather Authority
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Bob Weisman
Yes it was! And I said REALLY FREDDY? I WILL REMEMBER THAT THE NEXT TIME YOU WANT TO EAT! I swear he can tell what I'm saying! He immediately put all his feathers back down and chirped. Haha! It was like he thought OH CRAP SHE FEEDS ME! His body language changed. Lol
:rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

It's like what I say about Milton..."He plays HIS games...I play mine". ;)

Nancy B

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Nancy
:rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

It's like what I say about Milton..."He plays HIS games...I play mine". ;)
He's spoiled I think lol. When I change his water I hold it for him so he can take a drink, he seems to love that. When I first got him I did it to make sure he drank. Now he expects it, but that's ok lol. I did get a small 30" cat tree and he seems to like that. It's got carpet material on it. His boing he's afraid of right now. He's too much.

EllaMay

Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
April
I knock on wood daily never have been bit ever from a feather being, maybe I read well who knows or just a tad lucky. Whitney U2 34 yrs never bitten, she slept nightly on my wrought iron bed in the morning tunneled under the covers to lay next to my body, just how it was and made her comfty. She put herself in her cage home everyday when I left for work long story how that ended up happening. She was out 24hrs unless I went to work and she would just go into her home no lock on the cage, I would state bye bye Whitney and she would run to her cage. Use to read stories on mytoos site and kinda laugh simply because Whitney was so not that cockatoo. I always state I will never meet another U2 like her again, she was one of kind that I miss very much. :xflove:

And as Cassiedad stated on the hiss, Whitney had a lovely cat type hiss for others she didn't like... :D

JLcribber

@cockatoojohn
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
John
I knock on wood daily never have been bit ever from a feather being, maybe I read well who knows or just a tad lucky. Whitney U2 34 yrs never bitten, she slept nightly on my wrought iron bed in the morning tunneled under the covers to lay next to my body, just how it was and made her comfty. She put herself in her cage home everyday when I left for work long story how that ended up happening. She was out 24hrs unless I went to work and she would just go into her home no lock on the cage, I would state bye bye Whitney and she would run to her cage. Use to read stories on mytoos site and kinda laugh simply because Whitney was so not that cockatoo. I always state I will never meet another U2 like her again, she was one of kind that I miss very much. :xflove:

And as Cassiedad stated on the hiss, Whitney had a lovely cat type hiss for others she didn't like... :D

You describe Amanda to a tee (U2 30yrs). I don’t have anything to complain about her. She doesn’t scream. She is the furthest thing from needy. Eats very well and entertains herself for hours on end. Someone brought her up very well.

Her boyfriend makes up for all of it in spades.

It was the best of times. It was the worst of times. :lol:

cassiesdad

Ripping up the road
Weather Authority
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Bob Weisman
You describe Amanda to a tee (U2 30yrs). I don’t have anything to complain about her. She doesn’t scream. She is the furthest thing from needy. Eats very well and entertains herself for hours on end. Someone brought her up very well.

They are the perfect pair....:)

EllaMay

Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
April

I always felt Amanda innocence in pics and videos was so much Whitney. Whitney could order a mean triple triple from Tim Horton's and the manager would serve my coffee and her special tea, she was a character.

Can you imagine the stories these sweethearts have when being naughty even Tika can fill a book I am sure.

Last edited:

Just-passn-thru

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Suzanne
She put herself in her cage home everyday when I left for work long story how that ended up happening. She was out 24hrs unless I went to work and she would just go into her home no lock on the cage, I would state bye bye Whitney and she would run to her cage.
Sweet birdie girl...
:hug2:

Just-passn-thru

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Suzanne
I always felt Amanda innocence in pics and videos was so much Whitney. Whitney could order a mean triple triple from Tim Horton's and the manager would serve my coffee and her special tea, she was a character.
I too empathicly "feel" my way with my animals.
:hug1:

BirdEE

Walking the driveway
So I went to go meet her. And she’s WONDERFUL. She’s got all her feathers and doesn’t pluck, is extremely nice and lives in a nice house. Her owner is definitely just getting rid of her because of his job (from what I gathered). He’s had birds in the past and is really good with her. She lets him trim her nails with not fuss. He said she doesn’t really get grumpy during horomome season either.

All that said, my wife and I thought about it long and hard after meeting her. We are doing some major home renovations this summer including a new wrap around porch, building a garage, and clearing about an acre of trees to extend the yard. So after thinking about it, I don’t think it’s fair to HER the we take her. She won’t understand when I say “Sorry, gotta go out and work on the porch”.

That said, if anyone in Michigan would like to meet her and can provide her with the home she deserves, PM me and I can send you the ad I found her on.

Therefore, we have decided to go with a less demanding but still fun, talkative, and crazy personality. A Blue Ringneck.

faislaq

I have macaws and don't post enough pictures
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Karen
:think1: Will you be getting the ringneck after the renovations?