• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Potential Cockatoo Owner....

BirdEE

Walking the driveway
And I suppose after seeing her. I figure we should go for a breed a bit less demanding at this point in our lives.

iamwhoiam

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
She sounds wonderful. Sorry that you decided not to take her but if you feel that it wouldn't work out then best to pass. Hope things work out with the Ringneck.

BirdEE

Walking the driveway
Right. Ill start looking for a ringneck towards the end of the summer. I thought since she had shown up in the classified I would go look. And I’m glad I did. My wife was extremely nervous of her beak too because of its shear power (she has little experience with larger birds beyond me telling her about them). I’m of course not nervous, but it’s a family effort. You can’t have someone in the house scared of her, especially something as large and smart as a Cockatoo. They pick up on that haha. She’s not nervous of the smaller birds, so that’s probably best for us until she is comfortable around them. That was really her first experience with a larger parrot.

Last edited:

Fia Baby

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Beth
Wish I was there... I think I'd snap her up in a heart beat. Probably would have come home with her...

kitwit54

Strolling the yard
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Rick
Do you have any children? If not are you ready to have a child at this point? I ask this in all seriousness because that’s what you’re about to do is have a child. This child will never grow up. It will never move out. It walks around with pliers. And it will probably outlive you. If you’re ready for that, you’re sort of ready for a cockatoo.

This bird will take as much time, effort, money and sanity as any child.
Plus if out all day got to be watched very well or your home will be destroyed.

M_Riddly

Strolling the yard
Something to know that I learned through owning a too/larger bird. Small guys tend to bite differently than bigger parrots. Small ones beaks, to me, are sharper and more likely to break skin per bite. My parrotlets are hell to be bit by. I thought it would be less than my tiels but NOPE. Worse. And they latch on sometimes and chew through the skin. Fun right? I would rather be bit by my too. Not that it's fun, but he has much better beak control. He understands biting equals the opposite of what he wants (my attention). The worst he has done is bruising to my dads toe. Yes a goffin is nothing compared to a U2 or M2. Just something to know. I think it is because their beaks are thicker and more rounded at the end.

Only one of my parrotlets latches on and chews and that is because she is kind of not tame. She is more a chill with bird and step up on a stick or tv remote as opposed to finger/hand. Like as in don't touch unless you already planned your outfit to match the color of your blood.