• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here
  • This forum is for advice about initial treatment given to your injured/sick bird until a qualified avian veterinarian is available.
    THIS IS NOT MEANT TO REPLACE VET CARE

Please Help

Status
Not open for further replies.

Birdlover

Avian Addiction!
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Thanks for the update Brigid! I am so glad to know the bleeding was stopped and she was able to get some rest. Please let us know how the vet visit goes. She will probably be very tender on that beak tip for awhile. With her still getting handfeeding that will be a great help. Watch what other foods she is eating and be sure she has plenty of soft stuff - she may be too tender for anything hard. Big hugs to you for getting them the help they needed! :hug8:

Brigidt36

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Brigid Thompson
Here is an update on Esther. It's been a very long day, but it's good news. We were supposed to be at the vet when the office opened so got up early for the drive. Got a call that we needed to come later due to the vet needing to do an emergency surgery on a Cockatoo. Appt postponed til 3:30pm. Esther seemed to be feeling better, though a bit tired and weak. Didn't want to eat her formula, but we were able to get some in her. She was drinking fine.

We left for Louisville at 2pm and were a few minutes late for the appt due to construction. Esther perked up on the ride, making a racket in the car, throwing and destroying her wooden foot toys and shaking and rattling her plastic chain. The office was very easy to find and the 3 of us (I'm including Esther) liked the vet, Dr. Samuel Vaughn. Well Esther liked him until he took blood and swabbed her mouth, she still cooperated but wasn't her usual, loving and cuddly self.

Dr. Vaughn was very ticked off about the breeder selling an unweaned baby and he was a bit worried about her being unweaned, the lack of tail feathers (we think she's pulling them out, I found one whole, beautiful tail feather at the bottom of her cage each morning I was watching her) and said she was a bit underweight. He said her beak will be okay, her red blood cell count is very good, won't know about the white blood cell count until tomorrow, her gram stain was good but she did have a yeast infection and he put her on fluconozole (?) or something like that. She will be on it for a week and she goes back to see him next Monday. Once that is cleared up he wants to start weaning her as her protein level was 2.9 (I think) and not at an acceptable level. He only wants Harrison's in the food bowl, no seed treats at all and she can have good veggies and some fruit from the table when her parronts are eating. I hope I got it all right and remembered everything. I'm glad I got to meet the vet and I'm going to start getting my guys established there. It was a horrible feeling last night not knowing who to call or where to go. He could not refer us to anyone in Lexington at all, not even for emergencies, which is unfortunate. Oh, and as for the cauterizing with a solder iron, he doesn't recommend it, but he'd rather have someone do that then let the bird bleed out. He said that sometimes firm pressure, the use of cayenne pepper/flour etc as a paste does not always work especially if the bleeding is severe, and sometimes 'battlefield surgery' is the only way to save a birds life.

Birdlover

Avian Addiction!
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Im glad to hear the apointment went well and that you liked the vet. It is definitely nice to know where to go when you need one!! Will she eat the harrison's already? I wonder if making her the Harrison's bird bread would help. It would be softer than the pellets if she is at all tender. Ive been making it for Ringo (skinny also) and he really loves it.

itzmered

Welcome to Parrotdise
Super Administrator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Chris
Good update. I agree with Jill I would think if her beak is tender the pellets will not be easy to eat. Birdie bread or soaking the pellets in some juice might work also.

Peteysmom

Sprinting down the street
Real Name
Heather
So glad to hear such good news! Yay for Esther! :) It couldv'e been sooo much worse.

Brigidt36

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Brigid Thompson
Dr. Vaughn doesn't want to start weaning her until after she's all better with her beak. I gave Diana some regular flavor coarse and some pepper coarse. I told her she could chop it up and add some apple juice to it to make it softer and more mashy. I'll tell her about putting it in the birdy bread. The way the vet wants to wean her is too weigh her twice a day and if the afternoon weight hasn't fluctuated a certain amount then to take away that night feeding.

birdlvr466

Hit the Road
Real Name
Pat
Brigid thank you for the update. I am so glad your friends have you to help them through this. Sounds like you found a good vet. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.