• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here
  • This forum is for advice about initial treatment given to your injured/sick bird until a qualified avian veterinarian is available.
    THIS IS NOT MEANT TO REPLACE VET CARE

Please Help

Status
Not open for further replies.

Coco's Momma

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Robin
Waiting for updates is so hard....:( Bless that poor littl' thing... hugs and prayers.:hug8:

Deejo

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Doris
Try and relax!

Put a paste of cayenne pepper on the area bleeding and apply pressure. Mix the cayenne in to paste form with water. It will stop the bleeding and any ingested will help with pain.

gary
Very true - I suggested flour since not everyone has cayenne pepper on hand.
I hope they were able to stop the bleeding.

KimKimWilliamson

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Kim Williamson
Oh My God! I didnt even know this could happen!!?? Is there a lesson to be learnt here? Do not allow birds unattended on Counters or high places? (You'd think Wings would prevent a nasty fall like this) Gosh, these horror stories make me feel desperate to prevent things like this from happening to our birds but I can't imagine how to prevent something like this.....

...Im curious to know how the bird is doing! Any update???

Last edited:

Brigidt36

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Brigid Thompson
Okay, here's the update on Queen Esther.....we were able to stop the bleeding with the cayenne pepper. With all the blood it looked worse. She broke the tip off her upper beak, poor sweet girl. Dr. Zaffarano no longer has a practice here, which stinks since she was the most awesome exotic vet I've ever met. We called Dr. Vaughn's office in Louisville. He told us that since we were able to stop the bleeding, and driving an hour and a half might stress her out too much, that we needed to set up a hospital cage, keep her warm and calm, keep an eye on her through out the night and to bring her in as soon as they open. We are to call if anything changes. I helped set up a sort of hospital cage...we had to use a small animal carrier since they didn't have a small cage to put her in. We put a heating pad under one part of the carrier to keep her warm. She's very tired and was sleeping on her mommy's lap when I left. I didn't want to leave, but now that she and her parronts are calmed down, everyone needed to rest. I'm going to go with them to Dr. Vaughns in the morning, that way her mommy can sit next to her in the back and I can do the driving. They promised to call me if they need me anytime during the night, though the only help I can provide is moral support and driving. I'm praying so hard for Esther. I'm only her bird sitter, but gosh, I love her like she's one of my own. Please send her prayers, positive thoughts and energy. Oh, I also brought them some pedialyte in case they needed it. I remember reading about it on here somewhere and I sure hope my memory isn't faulty and that it's okay for birds.

Thank you everyone, you all are the best!!!! You all just jumped in and helped. You've helped us find a vet, you gave us wonderful help and advice, you've pm'd me with information. I can't thank you enough. When Diana called me about Esther, you all were my first thought for getting help. You all were able to keep me focused so I could do my best to help Queen Esther and her parronts. I love each and everyone of you. I've never 'met' more wonderful, caring and helpful people in my entire life. I don't know even how to begin to thank all of you.:hug8:

I'll let you know how everything goes. Bless all of you!

Saemma

Ripping up the road
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
:grouphug2::) Wow!! Thanks for the update!! Group HUG!!

itzmered

Welcome to Parrotdise
Super Administrator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Chris
Thanks for the update! I am glad to hear that it is under control and that it isnt as bad as it was first thought. Hugs and prayers for Queen Esther :hug8:

Jadie

Real Name
Jade
I'm glad they were able to stop the bleeding, and get her calmed down. Poor thing:heart:, please keep us updated. You are a great friend for helping and caring:hug8:

Deejo

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Doris
So glad that things are under control. Good for you, for being such a huge help for that bird.
I know you'll update us tomorrow.

Peteysmom

Sprinting down the street
Real Name
Heather
:highfive: Hoping and praying. :) Thanks for the update. I sure hope Esther gets better soon. So glad you were there to help her! ....Ever find out what the soldering gun was for? :confused:

Brigidt36

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Brigid Thompson
This is how the accident happened and it could very well have happened to me while taking care of her. When they got Esther, the breeder had already clipped her wings, a very severe clip. Her parronts were not happy about the clip at all. Being a baby, she is already clumsy, add in the horrible wing clipping and it makes her more clumsy. She is also a very happy, curious and active bird who wants to be in the thick of things. She still gets two syringe feedings a day. We feed her on the kitchen counter and she likes to hang out there while we clean up the syringe and wash all the bird dishes (there are 3 other birds besides Queen Esther). I just did that this morning. Esther has never tried to jump off the counter while I've been doing this. Tonight her mom was doing the same thing and for some reason Esther decided to jump down off of the counter before her mom could stop her. She was wasn't even 6 inches away from Esther. Because of the wing clipping, Esther dropped like a rock hitting the floor beak first, causing her to break off the tip. From the looks of the kitchen, the bathroom, Esther and her parronts it sure bled alot!!! Are beaks like our scalp wounds where they bleed a lot? I'd have died if this accident had happened while I was taking care of her. Just the thought of it scares me to death. I'm going to be so afraid something like this will happen to her while on my watch.

Brigidt36

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Brigid Thompson
Heather, their son is a doctor out in California and he told them that as a last resort if they couldn't get the bleeding to stop that they might have to cauterize (?) the wound to stop the bleeding to keep her from losing too much blood. So very glad they didn't have to go that route.

Riley's mom

Real Name
Cindy
I'm glad everything turned out okay. And yes, beaks do bleed alot. Thoughts and prayers with you all as you go to the vet today.

suncoast

Cruising the avenue
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Ginger
OMG I have a new streak of gray hair just reading this. Prayers that little Esther is okay this morning and will recover fast and regrow her beak. Prayers for her parronts. Thanks to everyone here on the board for their quick response and loving help.

Ginger

birdlvr466

Hit the Road
Real Name
Pat
Good morning Brigid. I logged on here before work just to check on this thread. :hug8: I am so glad everything got stable last night. Sounds like the vet you are taking Esther to is very good. These people are lucky to have you for a friend. :hug8: Give us an update later. Thanks everyone for all the advice for Brigid on how to stop the bleeding.

Birdiemarie

Feather Snuggler
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Marie
Brigid, I'm so relieved it turned out well and the injury is not any worse. And I'm very happy they have you as a friend thy can lean on for help and support. I hope Queen Esther spent a restful night and the vet visit goes well. :hug8:

birdlvr466

Hit the Road
Real Name
Pat
Oh My God! I didnt even know this could happen!!?? Is there a lesson to be learnt here? Do not allow birds unattended on Counters or high places? (You'd think Wings would prevent a nasty fall like this) Gosh, these horror stories make me feel desperate to prevent things like this from happening to our birds but I can't imagine how to prevent something like this.....

...Im curious to know how the bird is doing! Any update???
The best thing you can do is be prepared for when and if an emergency happens. Accidents can and do happen to everyone.
http://forums.avianavenue.com/bird-emergency-highway-911/138-emergency-first-aid-kit.html
http://forums.avianavenue.com/bird-emergency-highway-911/353-several-links-info-emergencys.html
http://forums.avianavenue.com/healt...you-need-know-before-your-bird-gets-sick.html

Thugluvgrl187

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Miriam
What a very scary situation. I would have been frantic. I am so glad that your friends had you and that you had the wonderful help of AA. It always feels like we have won a very important battle when these situations happen and us together can get them under control. With birds I always worry about them bleeding to death. After reading this I really need to get some cayenne pepper and some other items that are good to have on hand. I am glad the little girl is doing ok and I wish her the best with the vet visit.

Status
Not open for further replies.