• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Pet Store African Grey

jmfleish

Cruising the avenue
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Jen
I personally think that change is good for birds, especially birds that don't like it!:) In your case, I would move slowly with change. Obviously your guy was not happy with big changes! I think he'll probably come around now that things are back to normal but it will might take a few days. Try to slowly change things from time to time and see how he does. I don't think it's healthy to keep any bird on a strict schedule or to always keep things the same because life doesn't ever stay that way. You need them to be able to accept change. Keep working with him, you've only had him for a short time and you've got lots of happy years ahead of you! You and your fiancee and your grey will learn together!:)

Shinobi

Jogging around the block
We change our birds toys around once to twice a week and while Henry doesn't mind, Angel does. The Alexandrine that we once had, would become quite stressed when he watched us move or changed his toys. That never changed over the 2 and half years he was with us and it didn't matter if it was one toy or all of them. So we would move or change his toys when he was outside, so he couldn't see us doing it. Because we felt that it was not good for him to be stressed over it. The changes weren't the problem and he never stressed about the changes, he just didn't like seeing others touching what was his.

Unfortunately, like some humans, there are birds who are very possessive of their personal items and will always take offence to others touching them. So why stress them out and get them upset with you.

Kiwi and Mitch

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Mitch
You're fiancée moved HIS toys and he wasn't impressed about it at all, in fact he was so upset he went into HIS cage and closed HIS cage door. It would probably be better to put him into another room when you clean his cage. Some birds are quite possessive other their cage and toys.

I personally think that change is good for birds, especially birds that don't like it!:) In your case, I would move slowly with change. Obviously your guy was not happy with big changes! I think he'll probably come around now that things are back to normal but it will might take a few days. Try to slowly change things from time to time and see how he does. I don't think it's healthy to keep any bird on a strict schedule or to always keep things the same because life doesn't ever stay that way. You need them to be able to accept change. Keep working with him, you've only had him for a short time and you've got lots of happy years ahead of you! You and your fiancee and your grey will learn together!:)
We change our birds toys around once to twice a week and while Henry doesn't mind, Angel does. The Alexandrine that we once had, would become quite stressed when he watched us move or changed his toys. That never changed over the 2 and half years he was with us and it didn't matter if it was one toy or all of them. So we would move or change his toys when he was outside, so he couldn't see us doing it. Because we felt that it was not good for him to be stressed over it. The changes weren't the problem and he never stressed about the changes, he just didn't like seeing others touching what was his.

Unfortunately, like some humans, there are birds who are very possessive of their personal items and will always take offence to others touching them. So why stress them out and get them upset with you.
Thank you for the suggestions and information with regards to your personal experiences...

Here is the update today...It was like nothing happened. Zazu was back to his old self and had a good happy day. I am starting to think that he was upset that his toys were being moved by my fiancee and that she was spending all that time around his cage. She didn't even touch any toys in his cage, just the ones stored in a cubby beside his cage. Zazu does let me change toys, clean his cage and rearrange things with no protest whatsoever. He just, unfortunately, seems to dislike my fiancee.

I hope with patience and continued effort that will change over time!

greys4u

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Good to hear, yep, he was watching her and probably giving her the stink eye :giggle:

Dartman

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Terry
Nerd bird, my Maxi Pionus, was very cage and area territorial and only I was allowed to begrudgingly reach into his cage. Anyone else got da bitez. I respect his space and dignity and didn't do it a lot. They consider it their home, and all their toys and goodies are theirs too so no touchy unless you're the trusted and chosen one.
Lurch was my next Maxi after Nerd left us, he was bigger, more aggressive, and was highly protective of his house and toys. Changing food and water was a challenge but eventually he realized if he let me change them he got fresh water and food. I also got him a new bigger cage with easy to externally change dishes and that mellowed him out a lot as he had more room to stay away and he hadn't claimed everything yet. Unfortunately he escaped last year due to a dumb mistake and I now have Dobby, yet another Maxi, what can I say I like them. He loves his cage but has no issues so far with anyone he knows reaching in to move things or get him out. He is the most gentle and easy going, yet confident Maxi I've ever known. So it varies by individual and their situation and trust level. I have learned to read body language and leave em alone when it's obvious they are in a pissy mood about something. With Lurch it took about 5 years to get the trust and love bond but it did happen though he still had no issues correcting me if he felt I needed it whether I knew what I did or not. He also flew after me any time I left the room and loved scrathes and treats. Nerd was with me 31 years and we grew up together basically. Dobby likes everyone but my sister is his chosen one.

VictoryCC124

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Shanna
@Kiwi and Mitch
I just read this 5 page thread, and I must say tell you a few things..

First, I was SOOOO glad to read that you chose to get "the" bird!!!! :loveshower:
I giggled to myself in excitement for you and the bird when read that part.
Second, I admire all the research and advice you seek, it will be forever beneficial to all of you.
Third, I would like to tell you a little story about my CAG, without making this a novel, hopefully.
Baby was literally hatched from an egg by her previous owner, who was an elderly woman who used to breed parrots. It was just her and her 4 birds until she was too sickly to care for even herself anymore. We adopted Baby into our chaotic house with kids and dogs and other birds when She was 4 years old. She adapted quite well. She fell in love with my husband, and wasn't sure about me. After about 5 months she decided that she hated my husband (I said he was smothering her, he disagreed...). She peaked an interest in my 4 year old. She begged for his attention, but he was leery of the big bird. In time she would climb down her cage to see him and give him kisses (with adult supervision of course, Levi asks permission first). Baby now loves Levi and I. Her and I have formed a trust that I wasn't sure we'd ever have, and the same goes with her and Levi. She does not like it when anyone but me messes with her toys or moving her cage. She's gaining more trust with my oldest son as time goes on as well. Everyone in my house is worthy of receiving her kisses apparently. We've had her just over a year now. My point is, only time will tell. Patience is key. Perhaps if your fiance spends some extra time just talking to him and offering treats, a better trust will form there. That's how we did it here, but every bird is different. So I can only tell you my experiences and wish you luck with yours. :smileflower:
I wish you all the best!! You're already doing wonderfully!

PS I failed at avoiding a novel, I'm sorry.

Kiwi and Mitch

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Mitch
Good to hear, yep, he was watching her and probably giving her the stink eye :giggle:
Hahaha!!!! YES!!!

I have observed him while she is around since that day and he definitely does give her the stink eye, and every other kind of look and body language one would expect to see from a grumpy grey.

Kiwi and Mitch

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Mitch
Nerd bird, my Maxi Pionus, was very cage and area territorial and only I was allowed to begrudgingly reach into his cage. Anyone else got da bitez. I respect his space and dignity and didn't do it a lot. They consider it their home, and all their toys and goodies are theirs too so no touchy unless you're the trusted and chosen one.
Lurch was my next Maxi after Nerd left us, he was bigger, more aggressive, and was highly protective of his house and toys. Changing food and water was a challenge but eventually he realized if he let me change them he got fresh water and food. I also got him a new bigger cage with easy to externally change dishes and that mellowed him out a lot as he had more room to stay away and he hadn't claimed everything yet. Unfortunately he escaped last year due to a dumb mistake and I now have Dobby, yet another Maxi, what can I say I like them. He loves his cage but has no issues so far with anyone he knows reaching in to move things or get him out. He is the most gentle and easy going, yet confident Maxi I've ever known. So it varies by individual and their situation and trust level. I have learned to read body language and leave em alone when it's obvious they are in a pissy mood about something. With Lurch it took about 5 years to get the trust and love bond but it did happen though he still had no issues correcting me if he felt I needed it whether I knew what I did or not. He also flew after me any time I left the room and loved scrathes and treats. Nerd was with me 31 years and we grew up together basically. Dobby likes everyone but my sister is his chosen one.
Excellent information, thank you so much and I am sorry about the loss of Maxi and Lurch getting away. I am VERY happy to hear that Dobby is such a sweetheart though:)

Kiwi and Mitch

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Mitch
@Kiwi and Mitch
I just read this 5 page thread, and I must say tell you a few things..

First, I was SOOOO glad to read that you chose to get "the" bird!!!! :loveshower:
I giggled to myself in excitement for you and the bird when read that part.
Second, I admire all the research and advice you seek, it will be forever beneficial to all of you.
Third, I would like to tell you a little story about my CAG, without making this a novel, hopefully.
Baby was literally hatched from an egg by her previous owner, who was an elderly woman who used to breed parrots. It was just her and her 4 birds until she was too sickly to care for even herself anymore. We adopted Baby into our chaotic house with kids and dogs and other birds when She was 4 years old. She adapted quite well. She fell in love with my husband, and wasn't sure about me. After about 5 months she decided that she hated my husband (I said he was smothering her, he disagreed...). She peaked an interest in my 4 year old. She begged for his attention, but he was leery of the big bird. In time she would climb down her cage to see him and give him kisses (with adult supervision of course, Levi asks permission first). Baby now loves Levi and I. Her and I have formed a trust that I wasn't sure we'd ever have, and the same goes with her and Levi. She does not like it when anyone but me messes with her toys or moving her cage. She's gaining more trust with my oldest son as time goes on as well. Everyone in my house is worthy of receiving her kisses apparently. We've had her just over a year now. My point is, only time will tell. Patience is key. Perhaps if your fiance spends some extra time just talking to him and offering treats, a better trust will form there. That's how we did it here, but every bird is different. So I can only tell you my experiences and wish you luck with yours. :smileflower:
I wish you all the best!! You're already doing wonderfully!

PS I failed at avoiding a novel, I'm sorry.
Not a novel at all! Extremely helpful information and I have suggested the talking and treat method that you mentioned to my fiancee. She will be doing the talking but not the treats yet as last time she tried that he bit her :(

It is also so nice to hear that these birds can change and accept others over time...how is the relationship with Baby and your husband now?

Kiwi and Mitch

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Mitch
I just wanted to upload some photos of part of the family as well as Zazu's bird home (Cage). He has a perch beside the home that he can get to and he also spends some time with Kiwi our amazing Quaker Parrot. Zazu and Champ (the Newfoundland dog that weighs 130 pounds) are with one another 24/7

VictoryCC124

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Shanna
Not a novel at all! Extremely helpful information and I have suggested the talking and treat method that you mentioned to my fiancee. She will be doing the talking but not the treats yet as last time she tried that he bit her :(

It is also so nice to hear that these birds can change and accept others over time...how is the relationship with Baby and your husband now?
I don't blame her a bit. I'd hold off on treats too.

It took some time, but Baby and my husband are friends again. Not as close as they were, but it's a work in progress. Don't let that detour you, my husband created that situation himself. He's worse than a child, I swear. My 5 year old yells at him to "leave these birds alone" when he's trying to force his love on them by petting them, when they don't feel like it. Probably why Baby likes the 5 year old better than my husband.;)

Adorable pics, by the way!!

greys4u

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
That 3rd pic, looks like hes saying, 'whats your problem' :giggle:

Kiwi and Mitch

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Mitch
I don't blame her a bit. I'd hold off on treats too.

It took some time, but Baby and my husband are friends again. Not as close as they were, but it's a work in progress. Don't let that detour you, my husband created that situation himself. He's worse than a child, I swear. My 5 year old yells at him to "leave these birds alone" when he's trying to force his love on them by petting them, when they don't feel like it. Probably why Baby likes the 5 year old better than my husband.;)

Adorable pics, by the way!!
Haha thats so sweet your little one is one smart cookie!! I am glad that the relationship is improving :)

That 3rd pic, looks like hes saying, 'whats your problem' :giggle:
LOL yep, that sums it up!

Harleyandme

Sprinting down the street
I'm so excited! You decided to get the bird. I love the name and he is super cute! I absolutely love African Greys, and I am so glad you decided to get him. He seems happy and I hope you guys have a perfect relationship down the road with lots of wonderful memories. Makes me want to buy another parrot haha :o::heart:

Kiwi and Mitch

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Mitch
I'm so excited! You decided to get the bird. I love the name and he is super cute! I absolutely love African Greys, and I am so glad you decided to get him. He seems happy and I hope you guys have a perfect relationship down the road with lots of wonderful memories. Makes me want to buy another parrot haha :o::heart:
Awwww :) Thank you so much!

Kiwi and Mitch

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Mitch
I just wanted to update this thread for anyone that has been following along...

A few days ago Zazu had bit me for the first time. This behaviour occurred after my fiancee had moved some of his toys. I was concerned that it may have triggered some long drawn out pattern of aggressiveness. This was not the case at all, he had the one bad day and has been back to himself ever since.

My fiancee has been spending a little more time closer to Zazu, especially sitting on the couch as it is one of his favourite spots.

She still isn't comfortable trying to touch him although he did bow for her this evening. Baby steps I suppose.

I strongly feel that he will be okay being handled by her everywhere except for in and around his cage.

faislaq

I have macaws and don't post enough pictures
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Karen
We will be adopting a grey in the next month or so, and I know every bird is different, but I have been following this closely. I think your experiences and observations will definitely help us out when Roxi comes to live with us. :)

Kiwi and Mitch

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Mitch
We will be adopting a grey in the next month or so, and I know every bird is different, but I have been following this closely. I think your experiences and observations will definitely help us out when Roxi comes to live with us. :)
I am so happy to hear this!! A huge congrats in advance on the new addition to your family and I can't wait to see pics and hear how things are going!

I am also really happy to hear that this thread has helped to inform you. This forum has been an endless source of information and an incredible place to help me a better bird dad.

Nikomania

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Greys can become attached to their favorite person, especially if the others aren't interacting with them on a regular basis. Out of the six of us, my grey adores my youngest son followed by me. The rest of the family he either flies just out of their reach, or he'll actually dive bomb my oldest son who'd given him the stink eye from day one. He never forgotten that! This particular son has recently been working diligently to befriend Maalik. Slowly but surely it's working! Maalik no longer dive bombs him and he now takes treats from him as well as allows him to scratch him through the cage bars.

Long story short: CAGS can sense fear, etc., from those around them and will respond to those people accordingly. They're extremely smart with very long memories!

So glad you brought him into your fold! He's a very lucky little guy!