• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Pet Store African Grey

Kiwi and Mitch

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Mitch
A great big hello to all fellow bird lovers/enthusiasts! My name is Mitch, I am new to the forums and have a question regarding purchasing an African Grey. I welcome all input, good or bad, and appreciate that there is such a great place where people can come and get some help with these tough situations!

Here is the scenario...at my local big chain pet store (I know this sounds bad already) they have an African Grey. It has plucked all of its tail feathers, may be a little undersized as far as weight is concerned (420 Grams at 14 months) and is aggressive to nearly everyone according to the people that work at the pet store. The first time I went up to the Greys bird enclosure it made a clicking sound, so I made the sound back to the parrot and it immediately walked closer to me (it was in its cage) and bowed for head scratches. Fast forward about three weeks and I visit the parrot about three times a week and every single time she greets me, bows for head scratches and has showed ZERO signs of aggression. Additionally I have had the staff open the cage for me twice. One time a young male employee took the parrot out of the cage and the bird was okay with it but not super happy. He explained that he was the only one that could handle the bird easily. I was at the store two days ago and asked if I could handle the bird. They opened the cage for me and I walked up to the bird and said step up, threw my arm right into his cage and as the two employees observed this looking a little scared, the parrot stepped right up on my forearm and bowed for head scratches. They said they had never seen this bird allow scratches while being handled out of the cage.

So my question to everyone, for my first African Grey...

Do I get an undersized (I think?), tail feather plucking Grey that apparently doesn't like too many people? Or am I better off going to a breeder for a Grey?

A few more quick points that may be relevant...

1) My Fiancee has spent time with the parrot at the store by my side and the parrot has displayed aggression towards her once, but allowed head scratches a few times.

2) I have never owned a Grey before and currently have only a Quaker Parrot, I do work from home and am in my mid 30s so I know I can dedicate the necessary time for a Grey.

Harleyandme

Sprinting down the street
I have never owned an African Grey nor even been around one, but I do know how smart and wonderful they are. I feel like you have formed a bond with this bird, and since it doesn't like too many other people then you should buy him. The plucking problem is not the greatest sign but if he stops, the feathers will eventually grow back and if he is cared for well then you may have him a long time. The bird seems tame enough and he would be a great companion with a bit of training. Remember to take in all the factors, like the cage, the toys, the food and the vets. Also, do LOTS of research beforehand. Good luck :heart:

Kiwi and Mitch

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Mitch
I have never owned an African Grey nor even been around one, but I do know how smart and wonderful they are. I feel like you have formed a bond with this bird, and since it doesn't like too many other people then you should buy him. The plucking problem is not the greatest sign but if he stops, the feathers will eventually grow back and if he is cared for well then you may have him a long time. The bird seems tame enough and he would be a great companion with a bit of training. Remember to take in all the factors, like the cage, the toys, the food and the vets. Also, do LOTS of research beforehand. Good luck :heart:
Thanks so much for the reply, I feel like I can never stop researching as there is so much to learn and I am sure the relationship with any Grey evolves so much over time that one must continue to educate and understand. I have taken into account the cage, toys, food, vet costs etc and those are all great points.

The plucking concerns me and I do not have any experience with Greys, so I really need to get as much help and info before I jump into what could potentially be a 50 year plus relationship with an avian friend!

AvianCrew

Real Name
michelle
African Greys... so much dust... have fun cleaning up all of that :lol: Plucking, probably from stress, bad diet, boredom, or health problems. Look at the good, bad, n ugly pinned to the top of African Grey Alley.

Harleyandme

Thanks so much for the reply, I feel like I can never stop researching as there is so much to learn and I am sure the relationship with any Grey evolves so much over time that one must continue to educate and understand. I have taken into account the cage, toys, food, vet costs etc and those are all great points.

The plucking concerns me and I do not have any experience with Greys, so I really need to get as much help and info before I jump into what could potentially be a 50 year plus relationship with an avian friend!
Happy I could help. I'm sure you'll do great as an African Grey parront :)

zoo mom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Elaine
Follow your heart. If your heart says this is the bird and you are willing to accept that it may always pluck then go for it. Just remember even if you go to a breeder, plucking may develop later. Many here have birds who are pluckers. Some were adopted that way others developed the habit and we are unable to stop it completely.

If you choose not to get this one, I would recommend looking into a rescue. But ultimately the choice is yours.

@ncGreyBirdLady @Greycloud . I have tagged a couple very knowledgeable grey owners for you.

emdh

Walking the driveway
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Elizabeth
My opinion is that you ask if you can get a vet check first just to be sure that if you do bring him home, you're not heartbroken to find that there's an underlying reason for the plucking. But other than from what I can see, this guy is as good as as rescue in that you'd be taking him from an environment where he may feel isolated and alone to one where he is loved and has company and the right kind of stimulation. Will he stop plucking? Maybe, maybe not. I also know great grey owners whose birds start plucking for no apparent reason other than habit. Let's face it, the best homes we give them will never be their natural habitat. I have four birds-one of whom is a grey and I adore him!!!!

jmfleish

Cruising the avenue
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Jen
Sounds like you just found a grey who picked you! Let me tell you a little secret about greys...they aren't a whole lot different than other birds. Yes, they are intelligent, almost to the point of being empathic sometimes, but don't let that worry you. Keep them busy with toys and engage them in plenty of conversation and most importantly, socialize them and I don't think you'll ever be disappointed.

I agree that you should see if the store offers any kind of health guarantee that you can take advantage of. Most do and you'll want to get the bird vet checked anyway. And just a forewarning, I am owned by four greys!

jh81

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Jan
Make up your mind quickly, or you might find some day you go there and the bird is gone!
That said, you would do the bird a great favor from getting her out of the store! Stores are no places any parrot should be in my opinion, regardless of how well they mean! If this bird likes you, then by all means go for it :) you might not get another bird like that. And you show responsibility by comming here, you will do well as a parront :)

ncGreyBirdLady

They call Me crazy like its a bad thing!
Administrator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Bonnie
I agree with what has already been said.The grey has picked you.There is no guarantees that any bird(from a store/rescue/breeder will be a better companion then another.Get the vet check up and bring that baby home:) 420 grams is really not a bad weight.Keep us posted on what you decide:hug8:

Tyrion

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Annette Thompson
It sounds like this lil Grey has picked you for his /her person ...my Tyrion picked me and he was from a pet store ..no matter where they come from once they pick you its over they have your heart ...you may find with good care and diet the feather picking will go away its been known to happen ....read all you can on the subject so you know how to help this lil one and research Greys and you should be set to take this one home ...:)

greys4u

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Yep, you have found your heart bird

Kiwi and Mitch

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Mitch
Follow your heart. If your heart says this is the bird and you are willing to accept that it may always pluck then go for it. Just remember even if you go to a breeder, plucking may develop later. Many here have birds who are pluckers. Some were adopted that way others developed the habit and we are unable to stop it completely.

If you choose not to get this one, I would recommend looking into a rescue. But ultimately the choice is yours.

@ncGreyBirdLady @Greycloud . I have tagged a couple very knowledgeable grey owners for you.
My opinion is that you ask if you can get a vet check first just to be sure that if you do bring him home, you're not heartbroken to find that there's an underlying reason for the plucking. But other than from what I can see, this guy is as good as as rescue in that you'd be taking him from an environment where he may feel isolated and alone to one where he is loved and has company and the right kind of stimulation. Will he stop plucking? Maybe, maybe not. I also know great grey owners whose birds start plucking for no apparent reason other than habit. Let's face it, the best homes we give them will never be their natural habitat. I have four birds-one of whom is a grey and I adore him!!!!
Sounds like you just found a grey who picked you! Let me tell you a little secret about greys...they aren't a whole lot different than other birds. Yes, they are intelligent, almost to the point of being empathic sometimes, but don't let that worry you. Keep them busy with toys and engage them in plenty of conversation and most importantly, socialize them and I don't think you'll ever be disappointed.

I agree that you should see if the store offers any kind of health guarantee that you can take advantage of. Most do and you'll want to get the bird vet checked anyway. And just a forewarning, I am owned by four greys!
Make up your mind quickly, or you might find some day you go there and the bird is gone!
That said, you would do the bird a great favor from getting her out of the store! Stores are no places any parrot should be in my opinion, regardless of how well they mean! If this bird likes you, then by all means go for it :) you might not get another bird like that. And you show responsibility by comming here, you will do well as a parront :)
I agree with what has already been said.The grey has picked you.There is no guarantees that any bird(from a store/rescue/breeder will be a better companion then another.Get the vet check up and bring that baby home:) 420 grams is really not a bad weight.Keep us posted on what you decide:hug8:
It sounds like this lil Grey has picked you for his /her person ...my Tyrion picked me and he was from a pet store ..no matter where they come from once they pick you its over they have your heart ...you may find with good care and diet the feather picking will go away its been known to happen ....read all you can on the subject so you know how to help this lil one and research Greys and you should be set to take this one home ...:)
Yep, you have found your heart bird
A huge thank you to EVERYONE for all of your thoughts, advice and well wishes. I spent most of my day running errands and visiting yet again with the bird. I told them at the store I needed one more day to think about it and if I do proceed it will be tomorrow.

The only thing holding me back at this point is my Fiancee, she needed the extra day to think this over and I have to respect that.

To respond to some points that many have brought up...the bird does have papers, it has been tested for various health related issues and comes with a health guarantee period.

Also it does seem that the bird picked me, really does...they are amazing companions and such intelligent beings.

Again, a huge thank you to everyone that took the time to respond, I have reviewed everyones comments and suggestions with my Fiancee and it was very helpful!

cnyguy

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Gary
I had a similar experience with a young Grey at a local pet store. He didn't like interacting with the store employees, but would step right onto my arm and settle comfortably on my shoulder. He was always happy to see me when I stopped at the store. I couldn't afford the cost of the Grey, a good cage and all the needed accessories, so I wasn't able to buy him. I regret, four years later, that I wasn't able to bring home that parrot who chose me. I've since adopted a 12-year-old CAG, but I still think of that one at the pet store. I know what I would do in your situation, and wish you the best if you choose to bring home that Grey.

Kiwi and Mitch

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Mitch
I had a similar experience with a young Grey at a local pet store. He didn't like interacting with the store employees, but would step right onto my arm and settle comfortably on my shoulder. He was always happy to see me when I stopped at the store. I couldn't afford the cost of the Grey, a good cage and all the needed accessories, so I wasn't able to buy him. I regret, four years later, that I wasn't able to bring home that parrot who chose me. I've since adopted a 12-year-old CAG, but I still think of that one at the pet store. I know what I would do in your situation, and wish you the best if you choose to bring home that Grey.
Thank you for sharing your experience and I am sure that your lovely 12 year young CAG was the one that was meant to be for you!

I am going to go tomorrow and if the lovely Grey is still there I believe I will be making arrangements to bring her home!

Kiwi and Mitch

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Mitch
Just wanted to update the thread that I had started...

I purchased the bird and am so excited! I decided to bring home the cage and set it up today and pick up the bird tomorrow.

Once again all of your assistance is greatly appreciated!

zoo mom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Elaine
Congratulations.

DQTimnehs

Ri-DQ-lously crazy 4 TAGs!
Avenue Veteran