• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Pet Store African Grey

VictoryCC124

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Shanna
Long story short: CAGS can sense fear, etc., from those around them and will respond to those people accordingly. They're extremely smart with very long memories!
I very much agree! If your fiancee is feeling nervous or anxious and can't shake it, she should maybe take a break from Zazu until she can return with calmness and confidence.

I'd also like to add...
That it's good for Zazu to beg for her attention by bowing for her. She should talk sweetly to him when he does this, and then only when she feels really tray and confident, she should pet him.
But if she's picture him biting her in her head at all, she shouldn't touch him. I SWEAR Greys can read minds, and if you're picturing them biting, they certainly will do it!! She literally need to picture him being sweet and letting her pet him. Might sound kind of silly, but I swear by this. This is how my 5 year old built a relationship with Baby. She was begging for his attention for weeks before Levi felt confident that she wouldn't bite him.
Levi has this natural respect (with a little fear) of animals, that he was born with. He'd always ask before getting too close to ANY animal, before he could really even talk. My birds seem to pick up on that, and I believe it's what helps Levi be able to give treats to any of my birds (even when the other boys cannot).
But I figure if it can work for the 5 year old, it can work for anyone.;):2cents:

Kiwi and Mitch

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Mitch
Greys can become attached to their favorite person, especially if the others aren't interacting with them on a regular basis. Out of the six of us, my grey adores my youngest son followed by me. The rest of the family he either flies just out of their reach, or he'll actually dive bomb my oldest son who'd given him the stink eye from day one. He never forgotten that! This particular son has recently been working diligently to befriend Maalik. Slowly but surely it's working! Maalik no longer dive bombs him and he now takes treats from him as well as allows him to scratch him through the cage bars.

Long story short: CAGS can sense fear, etc., from those around them and will respond to those people accordingly. They're extremely smart with very long memories!

So glad you brought him into your fold! He's a very lucky little guy!
I very much agree! If your fiancee is feeling nervous or anxious and can't shake it, she should maybe take a break from Zazu until she can return with calmness and confidence.

I'd also like to add...
That it's good for Zazu to beg for her attention by bowing for her. She should talk sweetly to him when he does this, and then only when she feels really tray and confident, she should pet him.
But if she's picture him biting her in her head at all, she shouldn't touch him. I SWEAR Greys can read minds, and if you're picturing them biting, they certainly will do it!! She literally need to picture him being sweet and letting her pet him. Might sound kind of silly, but I swear by this. This is how my 5 year old built a relationship with Baby. She was begging for his attention for weeks before Levi felt confident that she wouldn't bite him.
Levi has this natural respect (with a little fear) of animals, that he was born with. He'd always ask before getting too close to ANY animal, before he could really even talk. My birds seem to pick up on that, and I believe it's what helps Levi be able to give treats to any of my birds (even when the other boys cannot).
But I figure if it can work for the 5 year old, it can work for anyone.;):2cents:
Thank you both very much. I agree with everything that has been said and excellent advice on how to have my fiancee approach the relationship with Zazu. I think slow and steady wins the race here. When she is confident he will be much more receptive and they will both be more comfortable.

Thank you both again!

Kiwi and Mitch

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Mitch
Well it has been a while so I figured I would provide a Zazu update and we are pretty sure Zazu is a she, not a he, so I will refer to Zazu as such lol.

I have zero regrets getting Zazu and she has been an absolute gem. She seems like a very happy bird and is constantly talking, clicking, whistling, foraging, playing with her toys and is out of the cage from morning until bedtime. We provide fresh chop which she loves to munch on to supplement her pellet food.

On top of a lot of time throughout the day everyday, I spend at least one hour every night with her sitting on my shoulder watching videos on the computer. She bows for scratches and one night, only one night, she said "I love you" It was really sweet although who knows if she understands the meaning lol (we do say it to her a lot).

She is slightly dusty but showers keep the levels down and it does not bother me or the fiancee, I expected there to be much more dust. The area around the cage is a daily mess of thrown chop, food and chewed toys. We keep doggy pee pads around the cage to make clean up easy.

I must say that the most remarkable thing is how much the bond grows every day, how I am able to understand her personality and what she wants by reading body language and vocal cues. Even with the reading and preparation i had done, I never expected that the grey would be this complex of a being with so much personality.

The last point, the most important one...Zazu has not plucked a single feather since she has been home with us. At the pet store she had removed all of her tail feathers. It is always so hard to see these birds self mutilating, barbering etc and we just wanted to provide a happy, mentally stimulating, safe and stable home for this beautiful bird in hopes that it would enrich her life.

Clueless

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Congrats!!!!

zoo mom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Elaine
So glad to hear a good update on Zazu.

jmfleish

Cruising the avenue
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Jen
Well it has been a while so I figured I would provide a Zazu update and we are pretty sure Zazu is a she, not a he, so I will refer to Zazu as such lol.

I have zero regrets getting Zazu and she has been an absolute gem. She seems like a very happy bird and is constantly talking, clicking, whistling, foraging, playing with her toys and is out of the cage from morning until bedtime. We provide fresh chop which she loves to munch on to supplement her pellet food.

On top of a lot of time throughout the day everyday, I spend at least one hour every night with her sitting on my shoulder watching videos on the computer. She bows for scratches and one night, only one night, she said "I love you" It was really sweet although who knows if she understands the meaning lol (we do say it to her a lot).

She is slightly dusty but showers keep the levels down and it does not bother me or the fiancee, I expected there to be much more dust. The area around the cage is a daily mess of thrown chop, food and chewed toys. We keep doggy pee pads around the cage to make clean up easy.

I must say that the most remarkable thing is how much the bond grows every day, how I am able to understand her personality and what she wants by reading body language and vocal cues. Even with the reading and preparation i had done, I never expected that the grey would be this complex of a being with so much personality.

The last point, the most important one...Zazu has not plucked a single feather since she has been home with us. At the pet store she had removed all of her tail feathers. It is always so hard to see these birds self mutilating, barbering etc and we just wanted to provide a happy, mentally stimulating, safe and stable home for this beautiful bird in hopes that it would enrich her life.
Welcome to the world of totally whipped by a parrot! You are now owned!:). Congratulations!

VictoryCC124

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Shanna
This is such a heart warming update! Congrats!! I always tell my non-bird people about the amazing bond with my birds, but they just can't understand it. And you have built one of those amazing relationships, that will last a lifetime.
I would like to suggest maybe using newspapers around the bottom of the cage, as it's much less expensive.
I'm so happy for you!!
:loveshower::bounce3::bliss::yahoo:

Dartman

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Terry
You can also get the clear vinyl office chair and desk floor protector things. They are easy to clean, not expensive and if they get too nasty or worn out just toss them and get some more. We used those around Nerds favorite areas and it helped to save the carpet.

kathyth

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Kathy
What a fantastic update! It sounds like you're both very happy!
She's so lucky to have found you and I know that goes both ways. Enjoy!

Kiwi and Mitch

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Mitch
Congrats!!!!
Thank you!

So glad to hear a good update on Zazu.
Thanks, we are so happy things have unfolded this way!

Welcome to the world of totally whipped by a parrot! You are now owned!:). Congratulations!
Haha, oh this is so true and thank you!

This is such a heart warming update! Congrats!! I always tell my non-bird people about the amazing bond with my birds, but they just can't understand it. And you have built one of those amazing relationships, that will last a lifetime.
I would like to suggest maybe using newspapers around the bottom of the cage, as it's much less expensive.
I'm so happy for you!!
:loveshower::bounce3::bliss::yahoo:
Thank you so much for the kind words and newspaper suggestion!

You can also get the clear vinyl office chair and desk floor protector things. They are easy to clean, not expensive and if they get too nasty or worn out just toss them and get some more. We used those around Nerds favorite areas and it helped to save the carpet.
This is a fantastic thought, I MUST do this, thank you so much!

What a fantastic update! It sounds like you're both very happy!
She's so lucky to have found you and I know that goes both ways. Enjoy!
Thank you for the kind words!

A huge thanks to everyone here at Avian Avenue, if it wasn't for all the advice I received here who knows if I would have ended up with Zazu.

xgreenbudgiex

Walking the driveway
Reading this has inspired me so much,

I think what you have done for this bird is amazing.

You bought her out of a miserable life and gave her a new one.

Such a happy well loved bird :)

Kiwi and Mitch

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Mitch
Reading this has inspired me so much,

I think what you have done for this bird is amazing.

You bought her out of a miserable life and gave her a new one.

Such a happy well loved bird :)
Thank you for the kind words and I am so glad you found this to be inspiring!

Congo love

Checking out the neighborhood
Real Name
Beth
Hi!! I'm a newer member that just rejoined the group. I have 3 greys & would love to hear how you and your fiancée are doing!

Aubrey

Biking along the boulevard
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I have really enjoyed reading this thread :dance4:

Nikomania

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
You've provided an amazing environment for Zazu in which she's thriving! The fact that she hasn't plucked since she came home is testimony alone. She's happy and appreciative! :heart:

Kiwi and Mitch

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Mitch
Hi!! I'm a newer member that just rejoined the group. I have 3 greys & would love to hear how you and your fiancée are doing!
Hi there! WOW 3 African Greys!!! What is that like? Do they all get along with one another or are they constantly wanting attention from you?

My Fiancee and Zazu have a mutual respect for one another that involves absolutely no physical contact. Zazu is okay with my Fiancee preparing her chop, opening her cage in the morning and that is about it. There have been a few occasions away from the cage that they can sit closely to one another and coexist peacefully :) She (my Fiancee) is constantly making an amazing effort and taking the slow and steady approach, not forcing anything as they are both still not ready to take the next step (whatever that may be).

Getting Zazu has not strained the relationship with my Fiancee, she knew going in that Zazu only liked me at that time and there was a strong possibility it may always be that way. We couldn't stand the thought of Zazu going to another home and we both feel that the right decision was made. I must admit, Zazu is on her best behaviour 99 percent of the time and has been such an easy companion to provide care for. Fresh chop daily, fresh pellets daily as needed, fresh water daily, cage open at 10:00 a.m. and bedtime at 11:00 pm. We haven't clipped Zazu's wings either, although it was done at the pet store. Zazu does fly as best she can from her cage to wherever she wants in the house, and we are okay with it as she easily returns to her cage for food and water. She is left out with Champ, our 130/140 pound (depending on time of year) Newfoundland Dog who doesn't even get up when Zazu is flying by him...he just lifts his head to observe. They are actually extremely good with one another. Kiwi, our Quaker Parrot, is also in the same area of the house but in a different section with an air purifier separating them. I spend time every day one on one with Kiwi, then Zazu and often combined time with Kiwi and Zazu. It really has worked out great!!!!

Kiwi and Mitch

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Mitch
I have really enjoyed reading this thread :dance4:
I am so happy to hear that :)

You've provided an amazing environment for Zazu in which she's thriving! The fact that she hasn't plucked since she came home is testimony alone. She's happy and appreciative! :heart:
Thank you for the kind words! I will do everything within my power to provide a loving caring home for her with lots of freedom and stimulation and hope that she doesn't turn back to the plucking...however this will be a lifelong journey and I must stay vigilant with regards to that.

atomicfriday

Sprinting down the street
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Shannon
This was a good read, congrats to you and Zazu! Love the lion king by the way. AA truly is such a wonderful place filled with even better people, a wealth of support and knowledge. I have had my grey Toby for four years now and I may not had decided to bring him home if it wasn't for the encouragement from this forum. I was still grieving the loss of my pionus, and he was offered to me by a lady that took him in from his original owners who had him for 12 years! I was told he would chase and bite them, and that the toys in his cage were so old they looked like they hadn't been changed in years. He was and still is a plucker, he probably started because of boredom and neglect and it became a cemented habit. He also never truly learned how to fly as his wings were always clipped, and when he does fly he is awful.

Toby has not ever once bit me and he is sooo sweet! He loves nothing more than to sit on my shoulder while I scratch him. I know you were initially worried Zazu would continue to pluck, i am glad she has stopped and I wish Toby would but he is such a wonderful personality it completely over shadows his physical appearance.

Kiwi and Mitch

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Mitch
Thank you for the kind words and my gosh Toby sounds so sweet...and zero bites in 4 years, that is incredible!!!! I am glad he found you :) Thanks for sharing your personal experience, what a heartwarming story :)

atomicfriday

Sprinting down the street
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Shannon
Thank you! I really love him and the house would just be so empty without his little noises. He is such a kind soul.