• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Permits for all wild animals, (Even Parrots)?

Sylvester

Hit the Road
But even a cat that has been dumped ends up being feral to a certain extent for purely survival reasons. Some dumped cats remember life with a loving human and can be brought back in (we've had 3) but 2 out of the 3 were avid hunters no matter what. The really feral cats don't trust anyone.

When we lived in Argentina, my mum made friends with a feral cat and would put out food and water in the front of the house. When she became pregnant, mum put out a wooden box lined with old towels/cloths and kept feeding her. Mother cat would bring her "presents" like dead or half dead rats and leaving them on the door mat. She was never tame enough to pet and I'm not sure what mum did about the kittens (I was maybe 14-15).

But S. America is different, animals aren't neutered or spayed, it's considered normal to just let them breed and multiply. That was circa 1960s-1970s, but I don't know that very much has changed. Strays were always visible and skeletal.
Yes, kitty cats who are dumped out in the middle of nowhere without any food or fresh water usually resort back to hunting. Either that or raiding dumpsters.

That was so nice of your mother to give that little feline castoff attention and love. Your mother sounds like such a cool person. In her own special way she was trying to thank your mother. Not the most desirable way to show love but it was the only way she knew.

We have taken in half wild cats. I will never forget 'Lady Alice' a gold and white long hair cat my sister found in a barn. She was only about four months old but as wild as they came. One day I was sitting on the chair in the living room and she laid my hamster proudly down at my feet. I ran screaming through the house for my mom. Poor thing, she didn't know any better but it took a few months before I could look at her again.

A friend from Russia told me that Russia was the same way. Tons of stray dogs and cats can be found anywhere you turn. He always went out at night to feed the stray dogs and cats.

Barbara jasko

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Barbara
My thinking is, any animal or even children are a product of how they have been treated. An animal that is in a loving environment where people have the best intentions and are treated with respect and compassion are going to be much better "pets" than a neglected, hungry, abused or beaten animal. Unfortunately too many pit bulls and pit mixes fall into this category. They are a favorite breed for dog fighting and those who are looking for a macho dog. Therefore too many are aggressive and get a bad reputation.

cassiesdad

Ripping up the road
Weather Authority
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Bob Weisman
One word = Quaker. Someone called in that there was one in the household (there wasn't) - it was an IRN and had to be identified with a book on parrots because the authorities in question couldn't recognize a Quaker if it (very literally) bit them on the you-know-what.
This is essentially the story. Old neighbors would hold all night parties, and someone began complaining about them. (it wasn't us) So, out of spite, they complained to the PA Game Commission that we had "illegal wildlife"-Quakers.

They almost broke our door down...WITH A SEARCH WARRANT...looking for "illegal wildlife". We had, at the time, two budgies, two cockatiels, and an IRN...Titan.
They were CONVINCED that Titan was a Quaker...they had to get a manual to disprove that he was.

This is why I don't post many pictures or videos of my birds...I will never put that sort of stuff out on social media for people here to see.

Jas

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Jasmine
Why is it always the responsible people that have to suffer and their companions!

Featheredfuffs

Sprinting down the street
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Pearl
Wildlife should NOT be pets. It almost never works out. I run a small wildlife rescue and unpermited people keeping pet wildlife almost only leads to heartbreak. The animal dies due to improper care, mandatory euthanasia (rabies testing or beacause of the fact it has been traumatized or maltreated), and the unpermitted owner ends up with a heafty fine and painful rabies shots. Best to leave this sort of thing to the professionals!

Sylvester

Hit the Road
Why is it always the responsible people that have to suffer and their companions!
That's the way it is for so many things, someone has to ruin it for the rest of us. There are many people who weren't raised right when it comes to animals. You, the people on this site, and myself, should consider ourselves lucky, we all had parents who cared.

Sylvester

Hit the Road
This is essentially the story. Old neighbors would hold all night parties, and someone began complaining about them. (it wasn't us) So, out of spite, they complained to the PA Game Commission that we had "illegal wildlife"-Quakers.

They almost broke our door down...WITH A SEARCH WARRANT...looking for "illegal wildlife". We had, at the time, two budgies, two cockatiels, and an IRN...Titan.
They were CONVINCED that Titan was a Quaker...they had to get a manual to disprove that he was.

This is why I don't post many pictures or videos of my birds...I will never put that sort of stuff out on social media for people here to see.
You should have asked them as they were leaving; "How does that egg feel on your face?"

Sylvester

Hit the Road
Wildlife should NOT be pets. It almost never works out. I run a small wildlife rescue and unpermited people keeping pet wildlife almost only leads to heartbreak. The animal dies due to improper care, mandatory euthanasia (rabies testing or beacause of the fact it has been traumatized or maltreated), and the unpermitted owner ends up with a heafty fine and painful rabies shots. Best to leave this sort of thing to the professionals!
You mean I can't have that cougar I have always wanted? Just kidding.

I couldn't agree more with you. Every injured wild animal I have found I take to the Wildlife Rescue Center.

Sylvester

Hit the Road
My thinking is, any animal or even children are a product of how they have been treated. An animal that is in a loving environment where people have the best intentions and are treated with respect and compassion are going to be much better "pets" than a neglected, hungry, abused or beaten animal. Unfortunately too many pit bulls and pit mixes fall into this category. They are a favorite breed for dog fighting and those who are looking for a macho dog. Therefore too many are aggressive and get a bad reputation.
Exactly. Many times an abused child grows up to be a very angry adult, has children of their own, and the abuse cycle continues.

cassiesdad

Ripping up the road
Weather Authority
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Bob Weisman
You should have asked them as they were leaving; "How does that egg feel on your face?"
Yeah..the only problem ..these people had sidearms...;)

SandraK

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Palm Coast, FL. Carioca'55 when RJ was in GB.
Real Name
Sandra
Yeah..the only problem ..these people had sidearms...;)
You never want to piss off somebody who has just attempted to raid your house for something illegal and fallen flat on their faces. I'd imagine they'd have had to go back and report that the information was incorrect (at best) so they wouldn't have to admit to being idiots in reality.

Featheredfuffs

Sprinting down the street
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Pearl
You mean I can't have that cougar I have always wanted? Just kidding.

I couldn't agree more with you. Every injured wild animal I have found I take to the Wildlife Rescue Center.
Lol. You’d be surprised... I once heard a story about some guy in Tennessee buying his FIVE YEAR OLD a pet “Simba”. :eek:

Jas

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Jasmine
Lol. You’d be surprised... I once heard a story about some guy in Tennessee buying his FIVE YEAR OLD a pet “Simba”. :eek:
And then pet simba grows up, kid gets bored, simba neglected, simba hungry, simba hurts/kills kid or another family, News deems lions are dangerous and shouldn't be pets!

Sylvester

Hit the Road
And they realize the costs and care that goes into keeping that animal.... I always love people that do their homework,.. AFTER.

cassiesdad

Ripping up the road
Weather Authority
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Bob Weisman
Okay, no smart remarks then. :)
...yeah...no spoken remarks....but what I was thinking, well...

Just a passing thought...most athletes are pretty "well-gifted" in naughty words. (I'll say it that way) I'm definitely an expert in profanity...my thoughts about the Game Commission are very explicit and not appropriate for a forum like this...;)

SandraK

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Palm Coast, FL. Carioca'55 when RJ was in GB.
Real Name
Sandra
...yeah...no spoken remarks....but what I was thinking, well...

Just a passing thought...most athletes are pretty "well-gifted" in naughty words. (I'll say it that way) I'm definitely an expert in profanity...my thoughts about the Game Commission are very explicit and not appropriate for a forum like this...;)
I have friends who sign, I'll have to ask her - she's already taught me the sign for BS and you don't have to move very much. You fold your arms, right over left and use the two outer fingers to make a horn formation. With your left arm, folded under your right, your hand goes from a clenched fist to an open hand facing the floor as if you were dropping something.

cassiesdad

Ripping up the road
Weather Authority
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Bob Weisman
I have friends who sign, I'll have to ask her - she's already taught me the sign for BS and you don't have to move very much. You fold your arms, right over left and use the two outer fingers to make a horn formation. With your left arm, folded under your right, your hand goes from a clenched fist to an open hand facing the floor as if you were dropping something.
I like it!

We have some much old video of us playing hockey...there were a few videos that we "miked" a certain guy on the team...just for fun. I was honored to be miked twice...and to tell you the truth, you DON'T want to hear what I was saying during those games...:scared4:

Barbara jasko

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Barbara
I agree as has been mentioned South Florida has been inundated with pythons being released into the wild and breeding prolifically. A male can mate with 8-12 females in a breeding season each having and average cluch of 6 eggs each. Males can reach sexual maturity in as little as 6 months and femaile in 18 months. Soyoucan see why this issuch a problem down here wreaking havoc on our native species and evvitonment. Don't even get me started on the release of eguanas and other lizzards. Pet owners need to be held accountable and responsible!
Actually the Burmese python that is the biggest problem can produce 20 to 50 eggs, they reproduce every year and they have no natural predators in So. Fl.

[/QUOTE]