• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Pbfd photos

MeinRabe

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Kay
Did you ever discover the source of the disease?
I believe he had PBFD when I purchased him, but I was too unfamiliar with the disease to recognize the early signs. I did not have him independently tested when I bought him because I naively trusted the woman who sold him to me. He came from a bird store, so I figured they must be very stringent with their testing anyways if they're going to board birds. The irony is that I actually found him on avian avenue from a girl who worked in the shop and told me she had a Vasa available. :(

Here is a picture of him looking very yellow:
20160822_205729.jpg

Here's another where you can really see his little bird weenie (called hemi-junk): (eta: the forum apparently does not allow you to say the p word! I'm sorry!)
DSC_0134.JPG

I'll try and post some gifs this week as he definitely looks much cuter and livelier in video.

Last edited:

Just-passn-thru

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Suzanne
I believe he had PBFD when I purchased him, but I was too unfamiliar with the disease to recognize the early signs. I did not have him independently tested when I bought him because I naively trusted the woman who sold him to me. He came from a bird store, so I figured they must be very stringent with their testing anyways if they're going to board birds. The irony is that I actually found him on avian avenue from a girl who worked in the shop and told me she had a Vasa available. :(

Here is a picture of him looking very yellow:
View attachment 252906

Here's another where you can really see his little bird weenie (called hemi-junk):
View attachment 252907

I'll try and post some gifs this week as he definitely looks much cuter and livelier in video.

That's the primary reason to never board a bird in a bird pet store, I would feel safer with taking to avian vet to board my birds.

cassiesdad

Ripping up the road
Weather Authority
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Bob Weisman
All you have to do is look at any of Obi's pictures...and look into his eyes...what a magnificent soul...

camelotshadow

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Christine
:sad7: Life is unfair sometimes. Least you both loved each other...

Should you get another bird & you should if you want to but you will have to dispose of all the feathers & stuff that can't be totally disinfected so as not to pass on the disease...

Its true about anytime you have your bird or yourself in contact with other birds there is a chance in contracting a disease. Some of them are hidden for a long time & are not suspect til the later stages.
Just one infected board in a petshop could infect many...

There ia a pet shop here that will only board vacinated birds...That's the best we can do I suppose.

Last edited:

Tinta

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Obi's naked photos are really heartwarming.
He was lucky to have gotten a home with someone as compassionate as you.

MeinRabe

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Kay
:sad7: Life is unfair sometimes. Least you both loved each other...

Should you get another bird & you should if you want to but you will have to dispose of all the feathers & stuff that can't be totally disinfected so as not to pass on the disease...

Its true about anytime you have your bird or yourself in contact with other birds there is a chance in contracting a disease. Some of them are hidden for a long time & are not suspect til the later stages.
Just one infected board in a petshop could infect many...

There ia a pet shop here that will only board vacinated birds...That's the best we can do I suppose.
I threw away a lot of stuff. Literally all my linens I couldn't bleach, anything that came in direct contact with him, my pillows, just everything. I want to keep the feathers but I'm torn. I have them inside three plastic bags and then in a plastic container. I don't plan on opening the container. It's the last piece of him I have left. I was hoping that would be enough.

Hankmacaw

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Mary Lynn Skinner
You can keep his feathers like that. The virus can't get through the plastic.

Lady Jane

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Dianne
Such a bittersweet story. You are courageous and so was Obi. I don't know much about this virus but wonder is the bird in any pain?

iamwhoiam

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
So sorry about Obi. Two very sweet souls....Obi & also you for giving him so much love.

MeinRabe

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Kay
Such a bittersweet story. You are courageous and so was Obi. I don't know much about this virus but wonder is the bird in any pain?
I thought about this often. I asked my vet about this multiple times. He said that obi was probably a little uncomfortable but not in so much pain that life wasn't worth it. He said if he was his bird he would not put him down. Obi was covered in pin feathers and didn't like them scritched the wrong way. Obi moved around a lot, enjoyed all the same things he did as before, would beg for attention, be sassy, get excited over treats, and destroy toys. He was not like a person in hospice care. That's why I couldn't put him down. You could look in his eyes and see he wanted to live.

MeinRabe

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Kay
You can try to get his feathers encased in acrylic...in a sort of a painting art or a paper weight. Something that will preserve them & you can see & handle it without spreading the disease.
That's a really good idea.

camelotshadow

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Christine
:fairy2:Sometimes I have good ideas...really would be nice!!!!

I got the idea as there was a lucite factory when came home from school. They threw out long plastic colorful things.

There is all sort of polymers you can use. You can try to do it yourself or I'm sure there are places that will do it in a mold.
You can create a few pieces with the feathers & maybe add his name like a plaque////lots of possibilities.

Clear Polyester Casting Resins Do It Yourself Embedments

Dartman

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Terry
Yep, I remember him and you well and I know it broke your heart when it became apparent he was sick but it's nice to see you and he never gave up. I know all us here were devastated too and it's nice to see pictures of him with such happy eyes still enjoying life and love you. I hope you find another fid to give all your love and a happy home to.

Valentina

Moving in
I'm so sorry you had to go through this. I read this thread before I joined, but registered today so I could message you privately (unfortunately I can't figure out how to do that) :(

CrazyBirdChick

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Diane
I'm so sorry you had to go through this. I read this thread before I joined, but registered today so I could message you privately (unfortunately I can't figure out how to do that) :(
I think you need atleast 50(?) posts before you can private message someone