• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Pbfd photos

MeinRabe

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Kay
I've been on the fence about sharing these photos. I never actually posted any photos of Obi for fear of judgement or glamorizing pbfd while he was alive. For some reason I feel like posting them today.

One picture is before he lost all his feathers. You may recognize him from my other account. He was a Vasa parrot, in case you're not familiar with the breed. Please do not say anything too harsh about him

88by75e.jpeg IMG_20170527_181232-01.jpeg IMG_20170114_224611.jpg IMG_20170213_202015-01.jpeg

WendyN

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Wendy
Most precious baby.

camelotshadow

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Christine
So sorry you both went through the path of tragic disease. Vasa are so nobile.
Such a sweet face & we all should try to love beyond the exterior.:sorrow:

I wish I LOOKED as cute with the few hairs on my bald head.

Last edited:

Clueless

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
His eyes......just look at his eyes, he loves...

Nikomania

Rollerblading along the road
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Thank you for sharing these pics. Feathers or no feathers, sick or not sick, he was your baby who you loved unconditionally. He was very beautiful indeed.

Tiel Feathers

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Deanna
He's gorgeous in all of those photos. In the last one I just want to kiss his little head! I'm so very sorry you both had to go through that.
:sadhug2:

zoo mom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Elaine
I am so sorry for your loss. Obi was beautiful. You can see the love and intelligence in his eyes.

Aubrey

Biking along the boulevard
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
What a sweet sweet baby :heart:

I'm sorry for your loss too :sorrow:

jmfleish

Cruising the avenue
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Jen
I too am so sorry for your loss. His memory will always live on in your heart and I hope that you find another parrot that you can bring home and love someday soon! He and you were both very brave and he looks like he was very happy. You did a wonderful thing!:heart:

JLcribber

@cockatoojohn
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
John
Beauty comes from within. That is all I can see. Anyone that tries to pass Judgement on someone else's pain/hardship/circumstance is an imbecile with a pea sized brain. Those are the ones that need to be judged.

Thank you for posting those pictures. :hug8:

Tinta

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
I understand why you'd be on the fence about sharing these kinds of photos. People with disabled birds or birds with visually obvious conditions can be understandably protective. People are very curious and you wouldn't want the being you love to be a side show attraction or open to harsh criticism.

It could be quite educational if you chose to tell the forum what it was like caring for Obi though. If you'd be up for that. It's completely okay if it's too hard or you just don't want to.

I've read that vasas turn white when they have PBFD. Vasas have a strange ability to change color without molting feathers, they do it throughout the year going from a matte black to a glossy brown. The color to their skin and beaks also cycle. They are the only parrot I know of with the ability to do this.
Did Obi turn white once sick or did the feathers just fall out?

From the photos it appears he is having some trouble keeping the color he should have had in his skin, beak and even toenails as well. Like his body just can't consistently color him. I can't tell if he is in season or not because in season the skin is typically a very intense yellow and out of season it's pink. He's mottled all over. His beak is also pretty patchy, but that's kind of common in young vasas. How old was Obi?
It's strange though because I don't think that the toenails change color in a healthy bird, but it appears as though Obi was losing or maybe lost the ability to retain the dark nails vasas normally have. You can see them turning pink near his feet and getting darker at the tips.

This is one of the very worst things that can happen to any parrot, I feel. It's a terrible thing to see in any bird, but especially hard with this species, I think, because you see it affecting them just that little bit more.
It must have been very hard for the both of you. I have to say though, that you seem like a very resilient person to me. To have gone through this and come out of it not only willing but wanting to love and care for another bird with the same disease...I really admire that kind of strength.

P.S.
He's quite cute feathered and not, don't worry. There's a certain vulnerability and yet outward strength to featherless birds that's honestly just ridiculously adorable. The nakedness reminding us of freshly hatched baby birds probably also plays a role. His photos are really great.

SchwuggieLove

Strolling the yard
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Jessica
Poor baby... He looks so sweet and happy even without his feathers..

cassiesdad

Ripping up the road
Weather Authority
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Bob Weisman
I thank you from the bottom of my heart for sharing Obi's pictures. His grace and beauty....PBFD could NEVER take that away from him....because like @JLcribber said, "Beauty comes from within."

Hankmacaw

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Mary Lynn Skinner
I too, thank you for posting the pictures of Obi. There are devastating illnesses out there that our birds may contract. Some show on the outside some are only on the inside, but they all are ugly. Your post illustrates that a parrot is loved whether it is well or ill and whether it is unattractive or beautiful.

I hope that some of the newer parrot owners realize that something similar can happen to their bird and they need to love them just as much, if not more.

MeinRabe

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Kay
I understand why you'd be on the fence about sharing these kinds of photos. People with disabled birds or birds with visually obvious conditions can be understandably protective. People are very curious and you wouldn't want the being you love to be a side show attraction or open to harsh criticism.

It could be quite educational if you chose to tell the forum what it was like caring for Obi though. If you'd be up for that. It's completely okay if it's too hard or you just don't want to.

I've read that vasas turn white when they have PBFD. Vasas have a strange ability to change color without molting feathers, they do it throughout the year going from a matte black to a glossy brown. The color to their skin and beaks also cycle. They are the only parrot I know of with the ability to do this.
Did Obi turn white once sick or did the feathers just fall out?

From the photos it appears he is having some trouble keeping the color he should have had in his skin, beak and even toenails as well. Like his body just can't consistently color him. I can't tell if he is in season or not because in season the skin is typically a very intense yellow and out of season it's pink. He's mottled all over. His beak is also pretty patchy, but that's kind of common in young vasas. How old was Obi?
It's strange though because I don't think that the toenails change color in a healthy bird, but it appears as though Obi was losing or maybe lost the ability to retain the dark nails vasas normally have. You can see them turning pink near his feet and getting darker at the tips.

This is one of the very worst things that can happen to any parrot, I feel. It's a terrible thing to see in any bird, but especially hard with this species, I think, because you see it affecting them just that little bit more.
It must have been very hard for the both of you. I have to say though, that you seem like a very resilient person to me. To have gone through this and come out of it not only willing but wanting to love and care for another bird with the same disease...I really admire that kind of strength.

P.S.
He's quite cute feathered and not, don't worry. There's a certain vulnerability and yet outward strength to featherless birds that's honestly just ridiculously adorable. The nakedness reminding us of freshly hatched baby birds probably also plays a role. His photos are really great.

It will probably take me two posts to really respond to all your inquiries, but I'm comfortable doing so. The photos above were taken over a course of four months and not all at the same time. He was very yellow when in condition.
IMG_20170703_102800.jpg
IMG_20170703_102752.jpg
These are the feathers he initially lost. You can even see the dander in there. Tips are normal with a different suffusion but you see a loss of architecture and a change to white down the shaft. I did not notice any real whiteness on his body when I got him but I noticed his down was greyish white. He also had many feather breaks. I assumed it was just from poor diet or a difficult living situation. Within 6 months he dropped all his feathers. First his tail and primaries, them the rest of his body in patches. For a while he was completely bare but he regrew the fluff you see in these pictures after about a year.

Obi was 5-6 in these photos. I had his beak inspected by a CAV and he said it was normal for his age. No necrosis or bruising.

ETA: just to clarify, obi never looked like an albino Vasa, as I've seen in photos of Vasas with pbfd. He never grew back proper feathers once they fell out.

Last edited:

saroj12

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
saroj
i'm so sorry you lost him to this disease :(

expressmailtome

Ripping up the road
Administrator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Matthew
I am very sorry for your loss.

JLcribber

@cockatoojohn
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
John
Did you ever discover the source of the disease?