• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Panama amazon? Yellow Crown amazon?

Status
Not open for further replies.

KBEquine

Meeting neighbors
Avenue Veteran
I've been debating resurrecting an old thread on my topic, or starting a new one . . . same question (Is it a Yellow Crown or a Panama?) but a different bird . . . so I resurrected the old one.

Apologies for anyone who already saw this on a different forum. I've gotten replies that say, "Definitely a Yellow Crown" and "Definitely a Panama." I just found this forum, so I'm asking again . . . thanks for your tolerance!

He (probably "he") is a yellower green than most amazons. His beak is the dark-and-horn combination color, but lacks the "cherry" or reddish tinge I usually associate with a yellow front. His feet are fairly gray, not really dark. His head & nape feathers are green & have a dark edge. He has yellow on his head that ends in a point. He has eyelashes & he has a few yellow feathers around his eyes. He growls to warn, beaks but doesn't really bite (except his own leg when he is thinking about biting the human), enjoys a good neck-scratch & head-scratch, crawls off his cage when ever he has someplace to go & wrestles human & toy alike.

I haven't discounted the possibility he is a hybrid. But if anyone can definitely identify his species (and tell me why) I'd love to know. Pictures below.

He has only lived here a couple weeks & was listed on craigslist as a yellow nape. His breeder cannot be contacted (we've been down that road), so I'd be happy for opinions. He hasn't seen a vet yet, but will see one on Wednesday (He is plucking. Then again, 4 homes in 2 months . . . I'd probably pluck, too. But I want to rule out medical reasons before assuming stress.)

Thanks!

Kim

Conurekidd

Jogging around the block
Real Name
Ryan
Panamas have clear beaks and feet. Yellow crowns have a mix of the clear reddish orange and then deep black. Panama. Panama Amazon- Aves International. Panama AmazonYellow crown. Yellow-crowned AmazonPanamas are born with black beaks and lighten to clear (horn colored) beak. Also panamas are the same size as yellow crowns. No differences other than personality and beak and feet color. And yellow crowns are the nominate species

henpecked

Sprinting down the street
Real Name
Richard
I'm with conurekidd , my vote says YCA,it could be hybrid, PanxYC, which is not uncommon IMO.If you were to sit that bird beside any of my 4 Panamas you would see a difference (my Pans are in 375-450 gram range).A better answer might be , i don't think that is a true Panama. Just my opinion.Edit; i should add that i don't keep YC or YSA and i'm only judging from your photos. If your not breeding what species it is shouldn't bother you, all can be great pets.

Last edited:

Conurekidd

Jogging around the block
Real Name
Ryan
I'm with conurekidd , my vote says YCA,it could be hybrid, PanxYC, which is not uncommon IMO.If you were to sit that bird beside any of my 4 Panamas you would see a difference (my Pans are in 375-450 gram range).A better answer might be , i don't think that is a true Panama. Just my opinion.
A perfected answer. I agree. If not yellow crown not a true blooded panama :)Both great birds though!!!!!

Coco's Momma

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Robin
KB's bird just doesn't look like a pure YCA to me. I've never seen a pure YCA that had blonde nares . A Panama with blonde nares - yes, but not a YCA. To me, it looks like there's a good chance of some hybridization somewhere in the background.

Last edited:

crt95

Jogging around the block
Real Name
Christine
To me it looks like OWA, BFA, OWA, BFA, OWA. Not 100% certain about the second BFA. And that brings up another difference between the two species: beak color. The BFA has a darker nearly all-black beak. The OWA has a lighter base on both the upper and lower mandible.
I agree based on the beak color, shade of blue and yellow checks!

Also, there is a baby Panama Amazon at my local birdstore. He is about the same size as the baby TAG's. Super cute and nice!

Conurekidd

Jogging around the block
Real Name
Ryan
Well YC can have reddish orange nares. Blondish nares and blackish nares. It looks like your typical yc to me honestly

Status
Not open for further replies.