• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Panama amazon? Yellow Crown amazon?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bokkapooh

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Mercedez
Whats the difference between the two species? Is there a difference?

drop

Rollerblading along the road
They are the same species, just different subspecies.

Here is a place that tells of the physical differences.

Yellow-crowned Amazon Parrots

Hope that helps.

I think in temperment, I think it is said the Panama tends to be even more mellow then the Yellow-Crown, but I could be mistaken.

TITANIS

Biking along the boulevard
The Panama is one of the most mellow and sweetest of the Amazon species. It is also one of the smallest. I don't know why the PA and YCA are still considered under one species because there is quite a difference between the two.

Bokkapooh

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Mercedez
The Panama is one of the most mellow and sweetest of the Amazon species. It is also one of the smallest. I don't know why the PA and YCA are still considered under one species because there is quite a difference between the two.

I have never been able to tell the difference. To my eye, they are the same size and look the same. Could you please explain the difference? :)

TITANIS

I have never been able to tell the difference. To my eye, they are the same size and look the same. Could you please explain the difference? :)
Size is probably the biggest difference. If you're familiar with Amazon species, here's a pic of a Panama and Cuban (don't have YCA and PA together):

Attachments

Bokkapooh

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Mercedez
They are the same species, just different subspecies.

Here is a place that tells of the physical differences.

Yellow-crowned Amazon Parrots

Hope that helps.

I think in temperment, I think it is said the Panama tends to be even more mellow then the Yellow-Crown, but I could be mistaken.

That was an awesome link! And it show's that Titanus's picture of the Panama with a pink/grey beak too!

Thanks for the link!:cool1:

BraveheartDogs

Cruising the avenue
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Vicki
Size is probably the biggest difference. If you're familiar with Amazon species, here's a pic of a Panama and Cuban (don't have YCA and PA together):
:omg::omg::omg: the one on the left!!!! I have never seen one but it is one of the most beautiful birds I have ever seen!! So cool looking! it reminds me of a Pionus!

Bokkapooh

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Mercedez
Yes something in that range. The Panamas, Cubans, WFAs and YSAs are definitely smaller, but they're oh so adorable! :eek:

They seem as small as the White fronted amazons... if they are near that size, THEY HAVE TO BE CUTE!

Ive met several WFA and they were TINY!!:eek: And super cute.. but they had HUGE personalities.. like the HOT 3.. so I didn't handle them.:o: Back then I felt intimidated by amazons.

BraveheartDogs

Cruising the avenue
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Vicki
They seem as small as the White fronted amazons... if they are near that size, THEY HAVE TO BE CUTE!

Ive met several WFA and they were TINY!!:eek: And super cute.. but they had HUGE personalities.. like the HOT 3.. so I didn't handle them.:o: Back then I felt intimidated by amazons.

I have a WFA and he is the cutest, sweetest little man:heart::heart::heart::heart: And, I love, love, love him:heart:

TITANIS

Other differences which are subtle, are lighter, more horn-colored beak, smaller lighter colored feet, smaller eye-ring and they look to have a somewhat lighter green however all of these could vary quite a bit. The ordinary YCA looks more like a Mealy. Here's some additional PA shots...

Attachments

J*M*L

Real Name
Julie
While we're on the subject, how do you tell the difference between an Orange Winged Amazon and a Blue Fronted Amazon? They both look the same to me. (Sorry if I'm stealing, Mercedez :o:)

TITANIS

While we're on the subject, how do you tell the difference between an Orange Winged Amazon and a Blue Fronted Amazon? They both look the same to me. (Sorry if I'm stealing, Mercedez :o:)
OWA are smaller birds. The blue on the OWA is much less intense and usually less extensive. The yellow on the OWA is tinged with orange and so are the wings (hence the name), whereas the wings on the BFA have yellow with red 'shoulders'. The eye-ring on the BFA is white, on the OWA it's darker, grey, greyish-blue or sometimes as dark as the nares. The OWA can have a whitish wash over its plumage that resembles a Mealy's. The BFA has much darker feather scalloping especially in the nape area.

BFAs have some of the greatest variation in coloring among all the Amazons and much confusion arises from this. The blue can be very extensive to very limited. Same thing with the extent of yellow.

GreenParrot

Sprinting down the street
I agree with all Titanis said! ;)

And here is a test for you... :D
Can you tell how many OWA and BFA there are in this pic? :)

Attachments

Stevo

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Stephen
I find the yellow cheeks to be the easiest way to distinguish an OWA from a BFA.

Love My Zons

Cruising the avenue
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Claire
Panama's look like mini Mealy's to me. I wonder if there is any correlation between the two? Their beaks are practically alike and they seem have have the same darker grey feet too.

:D

Lovely bird nonetheless. :heart:

Status
Not open for further replies.