• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Panama amazon? Yellow Crown amazon?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Brigidt36

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Brigid Thompson
I think 3 Blue Fronts and 2 Orange Wings in the picture

Brigidt36

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Brigid Thompson
No, I take that back, 2 Blue Fronts and 3 Orange Wings

J*M*L

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Julie
I agree with all Titanis said! ;)

And here is a test for you... :D
Can you tell how many OWA and BFA there are in this pic? :)
Is it just the one BFA second to left? Gosh they all look the same to me except that one is so much bigger.

I find the yellow cheeks to be the easiest way to distinguish an OWA from a BFA.
They all had yellow cheeks in that pic!:confused::eek::eek:

Bokkapooh

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Mercedez
OWA are smaller birds.

Except in some subspecies of BFA they are the same size as a OWA.

Pics of BFA:

http://www.birdchannel.com/images/species/subspecies/blue-fronted-amazon.jpg

and OWA:

http://www.dkimages.com/discover/previews/869/959896.JPG

The OWA is a lot duller than the BFA. Duller in the green on its body, duller yellow/orange on its face and duller blue (a light sky blue) on its face.

The BFA is bright and vibrant. With bright blue and bright yellow on its face, and bright looking dark green body.

Bokkapooh

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Mercedez

Is it just the one BFA second to left? Gosh they all look the same to me except that one is so much bigger.

Those are a pics of BABIES. Those are not adults. Adults are really truly much more distinguishable.

thebirdnerds

Real Name
Jennifer
Those are a pics of BABIES. Those are not adults. Adults are really truly much more distinguishable.
I agree the OWA and BFA are my two faves in that order of the Amazons :)

GreenParrot

Sprinting down the street
Υes that was a pic of babies. If you excercise a bit by googling it and seeing pics of the 2 species I bet you'll be able to distinguish them easily in no time. ;)

Still in this pic I added earlier, one difference is pretty obvious. Just look at the beak color. :)

TITANIS

Still in this pic I added earlier, one difference is pretty obvious. Just look at the beak color. :)
To me it looks like OWA, BFA, OWA, BFA, OWA. Not 100% certain about the second BFA. And that brings up another difference between the two species: beak color. The BFA has a darker nearly all-black beak. The OWA has a lighter base on both the upper and lower mandible.

GreenParrot

To me it looks like OWA, BFA, OWA, BFA, OWA. Not 100% certain about the second BFA. And that brings up another difference between the two species: beak color. The BFA has a darker nearly all-black beak. The OWA has a lighter base on both the upper and lower mandible.
:D ;)

I have also noticed that OWA have kind of more flat heads on the top whereas BFA have rounder heads. :)

Bokkapooh

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Mercedez

I agree.:)

GreenParrot

Are you a breeder, BTW? What part of Greece are you located in?
No I'm not. :o: I just read everything I find concerning amazons just because I'm so fascinated by them. :) I live in Volos, that's a city by the sea in central Greece.

Stevo

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Stephen

They all had yellow cheeks in that pic!:confused::eek::eek:
Not really, if you look closely - the OWAs have yellow cheeks (that really 'pop out' to me) whereas the BFAs have yellow eye patches. They may appear subtle differences at first but once you've looked at a number of them it becomes quite clear :)

J*M*L

Real Name
Julie
Not really, if you look closely - the OWAs have yellow cheeks (that really 'pop out' to me) whereas the BFAs have yellow eye patches. They may appear subtle differences at first but once you've looked at a number of them it becomes quite clear :)
Ok, I see now. The yellow on the OWA doesn't really blend into the green like on the BFA.

Stevo

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Stephen

The Cozy Nestbox

Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Kelly
Size is probably the biggest difference. If you're familiar with Amazon species, here's a pic of a Panama and Cuban (don't have YCA and PA together):
:omg::omg::omg: the one on the left!!!! I have never seen one but it is one of the most beautiful birds I have ever seen!! So cool looking! it reminds me of a Pionus!
This is a pair of young Cubans that we keep. They are named Banjo & Bubbles. Cuban Amazons are very desired in South Florida. Due to permit requirements, it is my understanding that they are not as commonly available in other states. I would love to know if there are any members here who keep this species too. Without further adieu.....

Bubbles (hen) is on the left and Banjo (cock) is on the right.

Stevo

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Stephen
The Cubans are doing pretty well here in Aus, but their total numbers are still pretty low and prices very high. Beautiful small 'zons :)

The Cozy Nestbox

Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Kelly
The Cubans are doing pretty well here in Aus, but their total numbers are still pretty low and prices very high. Beautiful small 'zons :)
That's good to know! I wasn't sure how many may be in Australia. They are pretty pricey here, too.

TITANIS

This is a pair of young Cubans that we keep. They are named Banjo & Bubbles. Cuban Amazons are very desired in South Florida. Due to permit requirements, it is my understanding that they are not as commonly available in other states. I would love to know if there are any members here who keep this species too. Without further adieu.....

Bubbles (hen) is on the left and Banjo (cock) is on the right.
They are absolutely stunning! What other Amazon species do you have?

allison

Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Allison
There is a YCA at the rescue. He is about the size of a BFA. And he can be very aggressive! He really likes head scratches through the cage though.

Status
Not open for further replies.