• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

OMG!! HELP NEEDED, EGGS A-HATCHING

camelotshadow

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Christine
Hmmm...Maybe dad knew something was wrong with 2nd egg.

Are there any eggs left?

Maybe they are young parents but could try to introduce dad after they all hatch & see if he will help but watch & remove at any signs of danger.

Shelley#134

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Michelle
Hi ShezBug, Thankyou for your kind words!

The last egg is due to hatch tonight/tomorrow, so fingers crossed. Agro & Buzzy are doing great with the changes going on, Buzzy is a Great little Mummy, and is caring for "Charlie Cheeper" very well!
I was a little concerned as she hadn't left the nest at all since Agro was taken out...but...she came out this morning for a bath, a feed and a stretch, then went straight back into the nest 10-15 minutes later ☺ Charlie is doing Great...chirping off and on all night, it's the sweetest lil family

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Shez
Maybe start a list of all the things that concern you or you are curious about so when you do speak to the vet you can get answers for them all. I do not think they leave the nest much while the chicks are naked as they need to keep them warm but I have no idea how often or how much time they will likely spend off the chicks.

Tomorrow I will certainly check back here to see how things go. I would be so stressed and excited at the same time, I can only imagine what things are like for you right now :)

Shelley#134

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Michelle
Hi Camelotshadow,
You know, to be honest....I'm starting to think the same thing! I think he knew something was wrong...that may be why he kept pushing it out into the cold!
I hope the last 1 is viable, we'll find out tonight/tomorrow.
I am going to try and pop Agro back in the nest tomorrow night, and keep a close eye on him!
Thanks So Much For your Help & Advice

Shelley#134

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Michelle
Hi ShezBug,
The list is a Great Idea, I think I'll get onto that!!
The Vet will be here in a couple of hours and is going to call before he comes...which I think is Great ☺
I think I was Very Lucky, getting put in contact with an AV that does housecalls.
Thankyou for all your Help & Support, you've been a Great Help

Last edited:

Shelley#134

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Michelle
Hi ShezBug
Well...The Vet came...He was Absolutely Lovely and was pleased with Buzzy & Bubba's condition last night.
Their diet seems adequate and they are LOVING the egg!
Unfortunately...the other 2 eggs are deceased, and he removed them for me while Buzzy was still out of the nest!
He helped re-introduce Agro into the nest, successfully, and Agro is now doing a great job co-parenting with Buzzy!
He told me later they had both been deceased for a week or more, before fully developing
I think I am Blessed to have Charlie Cheeper, and so far he is Happy & Healthy
I think Camelotshadow was right!!! And the Vet (Andrew) said it is quite plausible that Agro knew there was something wrong...and got "agro" when Buzzy wouldn't listen to him...hence the punch-up!
Thanks for your continuing support, and I'm sorry it took so long to post, it's been a very hectic day...I've had kids running wild here since the wee hours of this morning, & here til very late tonight! (Mum is a nurse)
Luckily...My babies are tucked away warm & safe in my bedroom

Shezbug

Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Shez
So sorry to hear of the passing of the other eggs, maybe it is for the better as the new parents will only have one baby to worry about.
Very good to hear that Agro was successfully re-introduced to his little family and they are all getting along well, I am so happy for you Nana bird ;)
Animals do remove any sick, deformed or dead to keep other risks at a minimum so that all makes sense. I remember being really young when I first learnt about that sort of stuff from my grandfather who used to breed and raise many animals for his food supply.
Oh your house sounds just delightful........Birds, baby bird and lots of rambunctious kids having a blast are some of my most favorite things :)
Thank you so much for taking the time out to give us an update, I really appreciate it.

Shezbug

Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Shez
So sorry to hear of the passing of the other eggs, maybe it is for the better as the new parents will only have one baby to worry about.
Very good to hear that Agro was successfully re-introduced to his little family and they are all getting along well, I am so happy for you Nana bird ;)
Animals do remove any sick, deformed or dead to keep other risks at a minimum so that all makes sense. I remember being really young when I first learnt about that sort of stuff from my grandfather who used to breed and raise many animals for his food supply.
Oh your house sounds just delightful........Birds, baby bird and lots of rambunctious kids having a blast are some of my most favorite things :)
Thank you so much for taking the time out to give us an update, I really appreciate it.

Shezbug

Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Shez
Argh.......double post is not my fault LOL.
I do not know what happened but the computer was having a little tanty ;)

Shelley#134

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Michelle
Hi ShezBug,
Ha ha ha...Neva mind the double post...it's easy to do.
I'm Sorry for not getting back to you earlier...I'm still running round like a blue-bottomed-fly!
My very young niece and nephew went home a little after midnight, & My Gorgeously Autistic Grandson popped over for a visit last night & is staying for the weekend We just got back from the Royal Adelaide Show...He's 10...& it's his Very First visit to the show
My little feathered family seem to be doing well, and all seem Very Happy, indeed!
Agro has adapted wonderfully to being a daddy bird, and Buzzy is a doting Mumma, Charlie is well fed and is quite vocal at times. They Love, Love, LOVE to feed the egg to Bubba...along with them eating their normal balanced diet.

Featheredfuffs

Sprinting down the street
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Pearl
Hi ShezBug,
Ha ha ha...Neva mind the double post...it's easy to do.
I'm Sorry for not getting back to you earlier...I'm still running round like a blue-bottomed-fly!
My very young niece and nephew went home a little after midnight, & My Gorgeously Autistic Grandson popped over for a visit last night & is staying for the weekend We just got back from the Royal Adelaide Show...He's 10...& it's his Very First visit to the show
My little feathered family seem to be doing well, and all seem Very Happy, indeed!
Agro has adapted wonderfully to being a daddy bird, and Buzzy is a doting Mumma, Charlie is well fed and is quite vocal at times. They Love, Love, LOVE to feed the egg to Bubba...along with them eating their normal balanced diet.
That is SO sweet! I remember my first clutch of eggs under my finches... I was so nervous!!! I got lucky and three out of four fertile eggs hatched. I’ve had duck clutches where less than half of the eggs hatch. Nothing that can be done about it sadly... so happy that you have little Charlie.

I bet the Royal Show was so fun!!! I remember going to my first agricultural fair at around that age here in the states:D

Shelley#134

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Michelle
Hi Featherdfuffs,
Thankyou ☺ I think we were Very blessed/lucky to have lil Charlie Cheeper.
Wow! They were good odds, with the finch eggs! I raised and showed chickens when I was a very young girl! It was quite an experience!
&, yes, I was & still am very nervous...constantly wondering if I'm doing enough...or too much, is he chirping enough or to much? etc. But...Andrew (my AV) has been absolutely Wonderful...very patient & understanding, &...never too busy to get back to me with an answer to a query I'v made! And...he doesn't make me feel silly for asking too many questions ☺
My grandson LOVED the Royal Show, he was a little overwhelmed at first, but soon settled into the swing of things...enjoying the rides and animals, and even managed to gab himself some showbags!
I have Never seen such a Beautiful, Big, Smile before! He was Totally Amazed and in Awe of it all...I am So glad I got to have that 1st Show Experience with him

Last edited:

Shelley#134

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Michelle
Hi Fellow Avian Families, I thought I'd share the most recent photo of Charlie, I think he's Gorgeous, but that's coz I'm a Very biased Birdie Nanna
Ago and Buzzy have been doing a Wonderful job...I am so Proud of them both!
So far, since my last post...the only problem we have had is...1 baby bird, 3 different wanna-be birdie parents I think the only solution is to keep him myself

Attachments

rockoko

Squawk and Meow!
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Martine
Hi Fellow Avian Families, I thought I'd share the most recent photo of Charlie, I think he's Gorgeous, but that's coz I'm a Very biased Birdie Nanna
Ago and Buzzy have been doing a Wonderful job...I am so Proud of them both!
So far, since my last post...the only problem we have had is...1 baby bird, 3 different wanna-be birdie parents I think the only solution is to keep him myself

What a cutie!!!

Shelley#134

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Michelle
Hi Rockoko,
Thankyou So Much :smuggrin:
If am so Very Proud of Agro and Buzzy.
It's their fist fist baby, and I think they've done a wonderful job.
I DO have a question though, for ANYONE to answer, & I know it's probably a Really Stupid/Silly Question... But...here goes!
Is it possible for them to Over-Feed bubby? I worry because they seem to be Always Feeding bub & he looks a little bit chubby (I'm not sure if that's normal. Baby Birds, hatching from an egg, is new to me) I got Agro & Buzzy at 4 weeks old, and, I mean, of course they looked very different to what Charlie looks, being that they were twice his age when I adopted them. I guess, I'm just a concerned Birdie Nanna:o:

Shezbug

Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Shez
I think you should be proud of you also ;) The three of you are raising a gorgeous little spunky bird!
No question is stupid and no one here will shoot you down for wanting to learn more and ensure everything is going as it should be so your baby stays healthy.
I am not qualified to answer your feeding question so I will leave it to the experts to answer for you.
Thank you so much for coming back to post more pics and give us an update :) I love your baby :heart:

Shelley#134

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Michelle
Hi Shezbug,
Awww, that's sweet :joyful:
Thankyou So Much, for your help and praise throughout this New Experience of mine :smuggrin:, it's been great having someone to talk/mull things over with.
I'll post some new pics of him in a week or so.
Thanks Again