• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

OMG!! HELP NEEDED, EGGS A-HATCHING

Shelley#134

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Michelle
Hi everyone
I am in abit of a dilemma here! My beautiful cockatiels, Agro (male) & Buzzy (female) both are 18 months old and I have had them both since they were 4 weeks old
I got them from the same breeder, but different cage & parents.
Buzzy laid 3 eggs a few weeks ago, and has been sitting (like a good little mummy should)!
Just after midnight, 1 of the eggs hatched (yay) after chirping in the egg for a day!
I DON'T know what I am doing, and don't know what happens from here!
I am a little worried though! Agro(Dad) keeps chasing Buzzy(Mum) out of the nest & he will only keep the baby warm...he rejects the eggs, also...he won't let the mum anywhere near the nest! I really DON'T think this is right! And don't know what is and is not normal nesting behaviour for cockatiels!
What should I do???
Any help/advice would be GREATLY APPRECIATED

finchly

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Finchly
Hi there,

Remove the dad to a separate cage immediately. Don’t let him back in there until the eggs hatch. Even then - watch him carefully. He might turn aggressive on the babies. If he does he will have to stay away from them. This is such a weird time for them and we don’t know what they are thinking.

Let the mom take care of everything, and (warning) she might be a tad bit aggressive toward you right now even though she is your sweetie. They get very protective like “mama bear” mode.

If you aren’t already, give mom some egg food (dry, commercial) or boiled egg with plain bread crumbs. She needs the extra boost and will like feeding it to the babies.

And when you can —- PHOTOS! We love pictures. :)

Shelley#134

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Michelle
Hi Finchly,
PHEW!! Thankyou So Much for your advice!
I thought something was going wrong, so shortly after posting...I moved Agro into a separate cage, just as a precaution...thinking, I could always pop him back later, if I found it to be the wrong thing.
He is currently in a cage, right next to it so he could still hear the chick...but can't go anywhere near the nest.
I'v been giving Agro and Buzzy a little bit of egg every month since I got them, as I was told to do that by the breeder...although...I, personally, thought it a little strange
Hank you so much for your help, I may need to ask for some more help as time progresses, if you don't mind!?

finchly

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Finchly
No problem! Glad youre getting it sorted. :)

Shelley#134

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Michelle
Hi Finchly,
Thankyou for your help yesterday...both Mummy & Bubba are doing well
Here's a pic of bubby...and the other 2 eggs.
I am a little concerned about 1 of the remaining eggs!
The 1 on the left has changed colour and is now half white, half a darker colour! Do you think the egg would still beOK? Or does it look like it's no longer with us? One of the eggs is due to hatch tonight, and the final one...in 2 days time.
I am So sorry for being a Bother, anything you might have to share would be helpful!

Attachments

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Shez
What an exciting time for you, congratulations on your one baby (so far) :)

Shelley#134

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Michelle
Oh My Gosh...Thankyou So Much.
I'm a little bit nervous....first time @ being a birdie Nanna!
I'm Hoping our other two egg-heads are OK ☺ but all in all....I am thrilled with this little one, and Mummy is doing a great job

Shezbug

Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Shez
Do you have an AV? Over the years I have often found all the vets I have used to be very helpful over the phone for things like breach puppies and other sorts of medical issues. Maybe your vet would be willing to tell you what to watch out for or what to expect if you get stuck.

This forum is absolutely priceless for the members and their wealth of knowledge and the fact that they all share so willingly for the sake of the birds, you will get brilliant help and advice here.... but just remember, a lot of the members are in the USA so they are not often on here at the same times us Aussies often want or need answers. Best ot have a back up place if you need some urgent help which is why I asked about your vet.

Cant wait to see pictures of the whole birdy family :)

finchly

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Finchly
Hey Shelley, no bother at all. Look at your cutie! :heart:

Sounds like the half and half eggie is no longer with us. If you want you could candle them - just put a strong flashlight behind the egg. If something is alive in there you’ll know. HOWEVER I wouldn’t do it, I would just wait it out.

You’re doing great! I am glad the mama is doing a good job too.

Shelley#134

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Michelle
Hi ShezBug,
No...ATM I don't have an AV, I'll search the internet, now, to see if I can find 1 near me, Thanks for the suggestion
I was in an absolute panic when Agro wouldn't let Buzzy in the nest, and had rejected the 2 eggs once the 1st had hatched, it was like he had tunnel vision and only acknowledged the chick.
Poor little buzzy had a little bit of blood showing & some feathers missing after his attack yesterday, & Finchly gave me some great advice.
Thankyou for your advice and support, I really appreciate it

Shelley#134

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Michelle
Hi Finchly,
Thankyou so much for your help, I was affraid we'd lost the little half & half Never mind, I feel these thing happen for a reason. I am thrilled with our little baby, and am just glad that little bubby is ok ☺
I think I'll take your advice...& just leave it there for now...Buzzy is emotional enough at the moment, and I don't want to stress her out unnecessarily.
Thankyou So Much for all your help

Fergus Mom

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Elly
@Shelley#134 - Congratulations! Believe me, I'd be a basket case too - big time nervous. As Shezbug said - our members here are invaluable. I would be lost without this forum! Can't wait to see more pics. :heart:

Shelley#134

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Michelle
Hi Fergus Mom
Thankyou So Much, Agro & Buzzy are the first birds Iv been lucky to be Mummy to in over 40years, and I Absolutely Adore them! I was Mega Surprised and Delighted to find eggs a few weeks ago ☺
I am sad we've lost little egg-bert, but so grateful to have Bubba #1 ☺
I'm sure if there's a next time...we'll ALL be more prepared!
Thankyou for your good wishes You're absolutely right...the birdie families on the forum have Been Great.

saroj12

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
saroj
No next time until you establish a good relationship with an AV.

iamwhoiam

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Congrats. Hope all goes well with the baby.

Shelley#134

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Michelle
Saroj12....I TOTALLY agree, & that's Why we've got our 1st visit today the breeder I got them from put me in touch with her's, yesterday...He's coming to Us it's a little extra...but TOTALLY worth it! I'd do just about Anything for my babies

iamwhoiam...Thankyou So Much for Your Good Wishes, This was not planned, as they were BOTH sold to me, as Boys.
It was only after I found the eggs, that I realised they were a pair! I was Just a lil bit too embarrassed to mention that before now!
Most of the people on this forum have been so Kind and Supportive! Seriously...it's just Great!!

saroj12

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
saroj
Saroj12....I TOTALLY agree, & that's Why we've got our 1st visit today the breeder I got them from put me in touch with her's, yesterday...He's coming to Us it's a little extra...but TOTALLY worth it! I'd do just about Anything for my babies

iamwhoiam...Thankyou So Much for Your Good Wishes, This was not planned, as they were BOTH sold to me, as Boys.
It was only after I found the eggs, that I realised they were a pair! I was Just a lil bit too embarrassed to mention that before now!
Most of the people on this forum have been so Kind and Supportive! Seriously...it's just Great!!
The vet is coming to your home? That’s awesome! Mine does too!

Shelley#134

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Michelle
I love that we still have some vets willing to do home visits....there's Not as many as there used to be, tho.
I'v always had them come to my big animals (horses & dogs) but, unfortunately, my usual Vet doesn't do birds, fish or reptiles.
I must say...I was Very happy that my babies breeder put me onto her Vet & that he does house-calls...as it turns out...his clinic is just up the road, & he passed my home, on His way home

Shezbug

Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Shez
Hey @Shelley#134, I am so glad to hear you have found an avian vet, even better.... one that does home visits. This is great news and hopefully will make you feel a little more comfortable with the whole situation.
I love that you told us you were too embarrassed to say that you thought they were both boys, hehehe. You are not the first person this has happened to I think you will find :)
Thankfully I got a DNA card when I bought my bird......first thing I did was check the numbers on his band were the same as the numbers on the card so I knew I definitely had a boy;)

When do you expect the next egg to hatch? How are the birds going with all the changes?