• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

OK I Have to ask,,,,,,,to those with cats and parrots

Denice

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Denice Crago
I have a cat and 2 birds, I think it can work, but it is more work, and you have to be diligent about them not being near each other. My cat is 11 and she could care less about the birds, she is more interested in geckos, frogs and bugs. I also have 2 dogs and they are not allowed around the birds when they are out either. I am sure there are many successful multi-pet homes, the key is to be very conscious all the time of where your animals are and to keep them out of harms way.

FLmom

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Linda
Ahhh yes it can work. I do get that. I mean I've always had cats and dogs live in harmony I even had cats and a bunny live in harmony. It was extra diligence on my part and a very slow supervised introduction over time. But there was also the fact that the rabbit got as big as my cats very quickly so it was no longer prey and just another long eared cat really. BUT I guess the big question for me is do I want to take on this long term responsibility of extra diligence and can I trust my family members to do it in my absence? That is the million dollar questions :geek::arghh::banghead::grumpy::dead::facepalm::huh::sneaky:

Last edited:

saroj12

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
saroj
I say find a good home for the kitty!

Sweet Louise

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Pat
My friend has several cats and two birds. The cats are afraid of the birds, but then again I see them stalk the birds on occasion. If they could get away with it, a couple of the cats would take a bird. A couple cats show no interest. They are good, good, good, then stalk get caught, back off and the pattern repeats. They supervise but it just seems an accident waiting to happen. Her birds watch the cats. I sometimes take Louise over and she just doesn't pay attention to the cats which puts her further at risk when I am there--so she is never more than 2 feet away from me or my friend. I have small dogs whose only interest in the bird is what she feeds them, but still they are never unsupervised. It is somewhat anxiety provoking. You can never let your guard down. And the stories of folks on the board really supervising their other animals around their bird and still something happens-well you can tell how heartsick it makes them. I don't want to be in that category but having predator and prey puts the bird at risk, it could happen. Ok, my anxiety is really up as I type this! I need to re-evaluate how I am keeping Louise safe. Best of luck in your decision.

FLmom

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Linda
It’s been decided. After doing some research on Siamese cats I have come to the harsh reality that I simply cannot provide what this sweet kitty will need long term. All my spare time is taken up with Kai and
I’d be taking away from him too. So after his surgery Thursday he will be going to a
Better home. I too have anxiety which is why I am up at 230am typing this :meh: mr kitty pants has also been up and playing like a maniac. I’m not sure who is keeping who awake at this point.

FLmom

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Linda
Oh and one more thing..... anyone want an adoreable loving beautiful Siamese mix kitty :siamese:

Hankmacaw

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Mary Lynn Skinner
Good choice, Linda. I had Siamese cats at one time and they seem to be the Cockatoo of the cat race. Unpredictable, unrequited hunters, destructive and LOUD. They are a load of laughs until they wore you completely down to a nubbin'.

FLmom

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Linda
Good choice, Linda. I had Siamese cats at one time and they seem to be the Cockatoo of the cat race. Unpredictable, unrequited hunters, destructive and LOUD. They are a load of laughs until they wore you completely down to a nubbin'.
Yeah I have since read up on Siamese personalities and I have discovered I don’t think this kitty is much of a “mix” he fits the profile to a T. The ability to open doors is a scary thought too. :omg: I know I simply can’t provide him the home he will need long term. Kinda breaks my heart a bit but I know it’s what’s best for him.

redindiaink

Sprinting down the street
Avenue Veteran
After doing some research on Siamese cats
Just as an aside. If I didn't know any better, I'd think kitty looks an awful lot like a blue bicolour Ragdoll. They're generally billed as large, smart, easy going, docile cats. I wouldn't put too much stock in breed characteristics because there will always be outliers. I have one I adopted a few years ago that doesn't fit the descriptions. Mine is sensitive yet territorial, and when we were thinking about bringing home a bird I thought she'd live out her days as the "Thing Under The Bed" because she is so timid. Instead she's a combination of curious, disinterested and scared of my Amazon.

painesgrey

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Rachel
My lynx-point siamese is currently living with my parents, and he looked similar (though not a long hair) to your mr. kitty pants when he was a kitten. My Giacomo is definitely less siamese and more.. Heinz 57. He's not at all vocal, spends most of the day lounging and most of the night playing with toys. He was a great mouser, but showed absolutely 0 interest in Pippin.

Not trying to second-guess your decision, just saying that mixes don't always fit into the stereotypes of their respective breeds.

FLmom

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Linda
Oh my goodness I think you are perfectly correct. I’m going to attach a picture of him and his brother it’s uncanny how perfectly they fit the rag doll breed. But you will see by his brother why it was assumed Siamese mixes. But it makes perfect sense now because two of the four were totally different colors but same coats.

14E466D7-15FD-4028-9A9D-84139C857166.jpeg 0AF9CF5B-982B-4E17-AC87-7DC02A02DBB5.jpeg

And this is from the rag doll site

EDCFCD73-AFAA-4DA4-8084-8070BBF608D2.png

Tyrion

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Annette Thompson
I have 3 cats and 2 large dogs one is a puppy ...the puppy is more of a bird bugger then any of the cats ...but what I do is I put my cats in my bed room when the birds are out with treats even though I have built a partition between my living room where the birds are and the kitchen ..when the birds are in their cages the cats which are older dont even bother the birds ..but I have bigger birds which I think makes a difference ... I think with a kitten you would have to watch more closely ...I dont think breed would matter to much kittens are kittens ...if you are on top of things and everyone is aware it can be done :)

Denice

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Denice Crago
I think you made a a good choice for you. each person knows their limits. I had to downsize the animal population here at the farm because I am just one older disabled person and so the turkeys and most of my chickens are gone. Down to 4 sheep to keep the pasture trimmed down (we casterated the ram lamb), 10 chickens, 2 parrots, 2 dogs, and 1 cat. That is all I can handle.

Ankou

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Real Name
Sondra
Seeing the latest posts in this, about rehoming and 2nd guessing that... I think for me it would hinge on whether I thought I could trust other members of the household to follow the safety rules all of the time and with diligence.

Thing is, I've noticed when there are tragic accidents way more often than not it's another family member that left a door open or failed to supervise appropriately. It isn't always the case, we are all human, but honestly it seems like it's a good 80% or more of the accidents I see were due to someone other than the bird's primary caregiver. The level of dedication and keen realization of "mistake = death" just isn't usually as strong in the other members in the household. Children especially can be problematic, even older ones, some tend just get distracted more easily even if they really do try their best. (I can't remember what your living situation is offhand, if you've shared.)

If I felt like the rest of the family couldn't maintain the necessary safety standards, worried doors may be left ajar, safe spaces not maintained, or species might be allowed to mingle off my watch, I wouldn't do it.

FLmom

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Linda
I am really struggling with my heart vs my head here. And a crying 11 year old certainly doesnt help :arghh:

fluffypoptarts

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I am really struggling with my heart vs my head here. And a crying 11 year old certainly doesnt help :arghh:
Stay strong!

Donna turner

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Donna
Maybe I shouldn't ,but I'm going to, put in my two cents. I feel like cats and dogs are accidents waiting to happen with a bird. You can never know when the predator will kick in. It may be years and then in a flash your bird is toast. No offense to you people with other pets but I know what I've seen and heard. I have an outdoor cat that will lay around with birds near and ignore them,then I find her another day torchering some poor unlucky bird. I had a rag doll cat, also outside , that was extremely placid, went for years without hunting, then I find him one day with a mouse he caught and was torturing. You just can't trust cats with prey animals. Their instinct may lie dormant but it's still there.

FLmom

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Linda
Maybe I shouldn't ,but I'm going to, put in my two cents. I feel like cats and dogs are accidents waiting to happen with a bird. You can never know when the predator will kick in. It may be years and then in a flash your bird is toast. No offense to you people with other pets but I know what I've seen and heard. I have an outdoor cat that will lay around with birds near and ignore them,then I find her another day torchering some poor unlucky bird. I had a rag doll cat, also outside , that was extremely placid, went for years without hunting, then I find him one day with a mouse he caught and was torturing. You just can't trust cats with prey animals. Their instinct may lie dormant but it's still there.

I do agree and that’s my what my head tells me and I do have plans for a lady to pick up the kitty this weekend. I know he will be going to a good home but boy is it tugging at my heart strings.

I also had outdoor cats at one time and I was a paranoid mess with the doors and windows. So I look at my kai and ask myself would I be comfortable with a man eating lion in the same house as myself knowing the only thing that kept me from becoming dinner was the diligence of others in the home to keep the doors closed. And then knowing that the way our door handles are it would be very easy for a semi smart kitty to open. So yes my decision is made but it sure is giving me heartache

Not only do I know it’s best to get this kitty in a more appropriate home, I also really enjoy fostering because it’s the best of both worlds. I can take on a tiny kitten or two from time to time knowing it’s only temporary because they stay in one room happily. Once they are old enough they go back to the humane society to be adopted. I get my kitty fix and at the same time we are helping a good cause. And I don’t have to worry about the cost that goes along with the 18 year commitment of owning a pet. It really is the perfect scenario for us.

Last edited:

Lwalker

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Lori
Now that you are decided - I feel free to tell you that my dog died last month. I miss him dearly but I must admit to the relief of not having to be so vigilant all of the time - arranging shifts for the dog and birds to be out and apart and still get deserved attention. It was stressful, always playing referee. :chillpill:

FLmom

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Linda
Now that you are decided - I feel free to tell you that my dog died last month. I miss him dearly but I must admit to the relief of not having to be so vigilant all of the time - arranging shifts for the dog and birds to be out and apart and still get deserved attention. It was stressful, always playing referee. :chillpill:
awww sorry you lost your doggie. But I so know what you mean about the referee thing. I need to simplify my life not complicate it.