• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

OK I Have to ask,,,,,,,to those with cats and parrots

FLmom

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Linda
How do you make it work? I have come across a baby kitten that has really tugged at my heart strings. I had no intentions of keeping him but.....

For now I am just trading time out and about between Kai and the kitty. They have not even seen each other. Kai goes to bed at 8pm in a closed room and kitty is out and about. I feel very guilty all the time though. So thats a issue. But I am just wondering how does it actually work with cats and birds? At this point its still my intentions to find him a proper home after he gets neutered next week but we love this darn kitty already.

painesgrey

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Rachel
With a lot of diligence and training. I would be nervous bringing a young cat into the bird's environment for obvious reasons. Kittens are energetic, playful, and still have murderous kitty instincts - all of which are bad news bears.

My cat is an older adult cat (~6 years old), so she's pretty mellow but still chirps at the birds outside. I give her plenty of enrichment opportunities to keep her occupied, like window seats to view the bird feeder outside and plenty of toys, to help keep her attention off of the parrots. Any attention she gives to the parrots is met with a scolding, which has encouraged her to stay away from the cages.

These are all things you'll need to work on if you bring a cat into the house. You will need to watch your cat constantly and pick up on its body language to know when it's becoming too interested in your birds, and react accordingly.

It's certainly possible to have a multi-pet household, but it's not something to be taken lightly and requires a ton of awareness.

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
Cats locked in bedroom during day while they nap and birds are out. Cats come out at night after birds are locked up. Been that way for years.

Lwalker

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Lori
I lost a bird to a kitten once. It was an accident - not my kitten (visiting) and the bird let himself out of his cage (he used to open and close his door as he liked) - it was horrific, heart-breaking and human error. The bird was not afraid and the kitten was just being a kitten. I am completely at fault and have never forgiven myself.

I would not have them out together, ever, if I were you. Better to find the kitten a good home than have 15 years of stress for all involved.

Having said that, I do admit my cat roams free. She has no claws and is 19 years old. She grew up with birds and dogs and other cats and shows no interest in any of them. She also doesn't like people, apart from me and disappears through her cat door into a laundry basket in another room in the evenings when the birds come out. She returns only after the birds are caged for the night and lights are out. I do not think she is the norm though and her age is a big factor (she mostly naps these days). I would not assume any other cat would be like her.

Part of the problem I think is that our birds do not have the healthy fear of predators that they should. I have seen birds fly over and land on or beside cats and dogs. They tempt fate and the cat's instinct, whether play or hunt, kicks in. The animals are not to blame - the people are.

Sorry if I sound harsh. I cannot forget prying my poor bird out of that kitten's jaws.

Joseph012

Walking the driveway
Avenue Veteran
It's just as simple as not letting the two out at the same time. I have a bird room where all the cages are I spend most of my time with them in there, but I do have a couple stands up stairs. If they're out shes put up (even if it takes me 20 minutes to find her because she's a weirdo and sleeps in the oddest places). Though, when she has been around them in their cages, I don't think she could care less. But I don't equate that with her being okay with them- never trust dogs or cats around your birds and the problem becomes nonexistent.

Donna turner

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Donna
Just recently someone's dog who was not allowed in bird room shot past her and got the bird in it's mouth. I cringe when I think what my cat (totally outside cat) would do if she got in the house. What she does to birds she catches is horrific. I wouldn't trust any cat around my bird.i can however empathize your feelings for the kitten.

Jaguar

Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Real Name
Ry
1) Right cat. Charlie is extremely mellow and in 3+ years has not shown the slightest interest in the birds. If she were the hunter type, this would not be possible.

and 2) Cat is behind a closed door unless the birds are caged, no exceptions.

Lwalker

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Lori
Just recently someone's dog who was not allowed in bird room shot past her and got the bird in it's mouth
That's what I meant about 15 years of stress. Especially when there other people in the house that you can't control. We have had many stories on this forum of kids, siblings, room mates and SOs neglecting to follow rules, leaving doors open etc. It is much easier without adding a cat.

Lady Jane

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Dianne
My cat has been around birds with me for 14 years. She has arthritis and cannot jump anymore. She uses wooden steps up to the bed. With that said I restrict her to the bedroom when the birds have out of cage time. A cats instincts don't change with age, just the body. I would never and I mean never trust a kitten, young cat or senior cat with birds.

Lady Jane

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Dianne
@FLmom What are your thoughts after reading the responses to your post?

Featheredfuffs

Sprinting down the street
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Pearl
Dilligence, and a very large heavy wrought iron cage. I keep my cats out of my bedroom at all times, but there has been times where the cats are able to slip by me when I open the door to my room. A large heavy cage protects her well, and when ever she's out of the cage I'm in the room. If she's out of the room, she's always on my body :)

Riptide Queen

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Uri
It might sound weird, but my three cats (who are ranging from ages 3, 6, and 10 years) are scared of my birds, as well as they are kennel trained. The cats are out for most of the morning and and once the birds are put to bed, they have full run of the house except my room which is always closed at all times because the birds are always in there. My room/bird room is always closed if Melon wants to let herself out and about, along with my room does not have any tv or anything so if i wanted to game or watch tv, it's all in the living room.

Bean, my youngest cat (only 7-8 months), he's kennel trained but like all kittens he's got that kitten instinct so I'm even more extra extra extra careful.

I used to have 8 cats and 4 birds most them left the birds alone but we always took precautions and closed my room for safety measures.

And the cats all have their own big kennels so they're pretty happy.

aooratrix

Macawaholic
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Matthew
My bengals are both scared of and fascinated by my birds, depending on what's going on. The cats are shut upstairs when my birds are out. Period. If I can prevent a possible danger, I do so.

Emmilyy

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Emily
Both of my cats are 3 years old. One could care less about any other animal (he has never shown any hunting instincts), but the other is very interested in smaller animals.

Cage doors are never open unless the cats at locked in a bedroom. When we move in a house we are hoping to be able to have a room we can have the birds in that is completely closed off from the cats.

TheOddFlock

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Melissa
I have a cat, she's more aggressive toward my dog than my birds.
I keep her out of my bird room though, and just in case she gets in there when I open the door when leaving/going in, I securely lock all cage doors.

After she attack one bird back in January, I've been taking extra precaution to make sure it doesn't happen again.

FLmom

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Linda
Sorry it has taken me so long to reply but I thank everyone for the input. I am so so torn on this issue. I have always been very very sure I'd never ever ever get a cat since we had kai. This sort of just evolved in a way that I could fight it. I still have my feelers out for anyone that may give this kitty a better home than we can. So far I have a good friend that really wants to take him but she is trying to convince her hubby at the moment. So that is a wait and see...

I have these moments of reality that hit me where I imagine the horror of finding kai in this kitty's clutches and it makes my heart shutter in fear and I feel a migraine coming on at the mere thought of it. The story in one of the posts about one of you actually having that happen makes me live in a state of panic all the time. That's not a pleasant thought for the next 18 years. The lingering possibility no matter how careful we can be scared the daylights out of me. Right now I am home 24/7 most days so I can control it pretty well but what about when I am not home as much? What happens when life gets busier?

Right now we have a good system where kitty and Kai are getting plenty of out time and attention. Kai is none the wiser and nothing has really changed for him at all. So that has me thinking hey this could really work out. But then the reality of the next 18 years hits me and I think I'm crazy to even be considering this.

Then there is my sweet 11yr old kid who is just head over heels for this kitty and she knew from the start we never planned on keeping him but a part of her is hoping that I'll change my mind. A few days after getting this kitten her hammy died. It was just a day before hurricane Irma. It was an awful experience for her. She loved that hammy and it lived for a very long time because she took excellent care of it. So she is heartbroken over her hammy and I feel even worse now taking this kitty away from her. She's a very responsible 11yr old and I know she is quite different than most kids because she is my youngest out of 5 and she is the only one I'd ever say that about. So I'm 50/50 about this kitty. Like I said so far the kitty and kai don't even know the other exsists. It's worked out fine and just takes a little extra attention each day to make sure it stays that way. But I'm trying to be level headed and realistic about the future and the next 18 years.

I'll keep you posted on what happens.

Here is a picture of the adoreable lil guy and my kid

IMG_5903.JPG IMG_5925.JPG

Last edited:

painesgrey

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Rachel
For what it's worth, kitty is beautiful and I (personally) would try to find a way to make it work. Hope it works out for the best for you guys. :)

Tiel Feathers

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Deanna
Cute little kitty, and your daughter is lovely! Maybe your friend will take the kitty, and then you won't have to think about it anymore!

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
I have had birds and cats together for 6 years. I suffer from anxiety, but not about them. I have a system that has worked for us over the course of 4 different homes now. It's second nature for us all. When my cats die, I will likely adopt more. When done correctly, it can work just fine.