• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

OK I Have to ask,,,,,,,to those with cats and parrots

Jaguar

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Real Name
Ry
There are going to be all kinds of hazards in every household. Open doors or windows are way more of a risk than my cat will ever be, but we just tell people to be diligent like anything else. You know your family and your situation better than anyone else here. It's your decision to make.

Ankou

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Real Name
Sondra
Now that you are decided - I feel free to tell you that my dog died last month. I miss him dearly but I must admit to the relief of not having to be so vigilant all of the time - arranging shifts for the dog and birds to be out and apart and still get deserved attention. It was stressful, always playing referee. :chillpill:
I feel the same way, my boys passed in late 2015 and mid '16 and it's easier despite the heartbreak. We'd come to a good system, it helped the dogs had each other and one was independent, but there are those bad weeks I'd get off work or class late and have 3 hours in the evening to take care of all 4 of us 5 days in a row. I don't miss that and as time passes I find myself wanting another dog less and less. Peanut is safer and it's easier to spend most of my time pampering her. :D

I pup-sit my parents energetic overgrown puppy on my days off for a weekly reminder of what it would be like, especially if I adopted a young dog. My moderate energy seniors were a cake walk, this shepherd needs real activity whenever he's awake. I'd never be able to fit them both in and meet their needs adequately on one of those bad weeks, we'd all suffer for it.

Shyra

Avenue Spotlight Award
I know there is a huge difference when having big birds and smaller birds but I'm reading these posts and looking around at all my babies. My macaw is on his playstand, my timneh on top of the computer which is sitting on the coffee table in front of me, the dogs are on the couch one cuddled up beside my husband the other beside me and the two cats are laying in the two chairs. Perfect harmony. Not a one of them cares what the birds are doing or that they even exist. Sometimes I think when they are kept apart it causes more problems then when they are taught that they have to leave each other alone. Personality of each animal, of course, plays a part but my birds have been here longer than the rest and each was taught that the others were family too and are not to be chased or teased. We had 5 cats at one time, all strays, and 6 birds- some small, and all of them knew not to mess with the birds. Over the years we lost three of the cats. 4 of the birds, and one dog but never had a problem. You can say it's luck and that we are on borrowed time but I think it's because they were taught to accept each other as a part of the family and that we have been/are diligent in watching out for all of them.

karen256

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
They can get along but you just have to be very careful. I had a copy of Guide to a Well-Behaved Parrot (a little dated now, but still written by a parrot behaviorist) where the author actually recommends getting a cat to help keep parrots company if they will be alone during the day, and recommends starting with a kitten. Now, many people here have had bad experiences with cats and birds, and cats are naturally predators, of course. But the fact that a behaviorist who had worked with hundreds or thousands of parrots would recommend cats makes me wonder if the danger is sometimes exaggerated. The bacteria in cat saliva IS very dangerous to birds, but a tame handfed parrot won't see a cat as a danger, and many cats won't see a bird as prey if it doesn't act like prey.
I had cats and birds together for 12 years. The cat was already 7 when I got Cheeky, so I did already know he was a pretty easy going guy. They got along fine, never a problem. Of course, I tried to keep them separate, locking the birds in their room/guest bedroom when no one was home. But the cat, as cats tend to do, would occasionally find a hidden sleeping spot in the bird room, and accidentally get locked in with them. I would come home to find everyone relaxed and content, the cat usually asleep on the bed. Now, I wouldn't recommend that, but my point is that not all cats are even going to be interested in birds. Also in my experience, female cats are much more interested in hunting than males - maybe from an instinct to provide for kittens.

If your kitten turns out to be a problem cat with a strong hunting instinct, then it also isn't too bad to keep them totally separated. Cats sleep 18-20 hours a day, so a cat really won't mind being locked in a bedroom part of the day.

FLmom

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Linda
Ok thought I’d come back and give an update to all of you that really helped shape my decision. Last week my daughter and I handed over sweet baby kitty to my friend in Miami that really wanted him. It was not an easy thing to do. We had all, including my hubby, gotten attached to this kitty. He really was a one of a kind awesome kitty. Even my skeptical husband admitted that was the coolest cat with the best personality he had ever met. It was a very difficult drive to meet up and hand him over. I was very worried he it would change him and he would spend his days under her sofa.

I’m very happy to report that he stayed true to his awesomeness and never acted fearful or nervous in the slightest way. He jumped right out of the carrier and made immediate friends with her current cat and that was that. He has it made at my friends house. He’s got run of the house 24/7 and more toys and love than I ever could have provided. It truly warms my heart to see the daily pictures she sends of him snuggled up with her kids or playing like a boss with all his new toys!!! They have appropriately named him PRINCE

And also as a very exciting update we have decided that my daughter has shown such responsibility that we are going to get her a new baby bunn to love and care for and last I checked bunnies don’t eat birds so harmony has been restored and now we have all the fun of getting set up for our new bunny to love and no worries about Kai. Here is a pic of the lil BUNNdle of joy we will be bringing home soon

Tiel Feathers

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Deanna
I'm so glad that Prince is happy in his new home.
OMG, that bunny is too incredibly cute!:faint: I'm sure your daughter is thrilled!

Lwalker

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Lori
Wonderful result all round...and that bunny face! :faint: