• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

oh crap they are back

rocky'smom

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
laurie
Tucked in.

Nobirby

Jogging around the block
Tucked in.
Oh dear. I never thought about the mice getting near my birds. Luckily the mice stayed in the laundry area, far away from my babies, and never saw any dropping even in the kitchen.

rocky'smom

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
laurie
I'm using PB too.

Dartman

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Terry
I am not sure what that first word was supposed to be up there.... but I can guarantee you that I would have said something REALLY bad!!!
I use the kitchen copper scour things for the dry poop on my perches, they are great to knock it off.

I have been reading about the stones and creatin info described by @Dartman and you, NOW I know why my old cousin was advised to quit the over the counter pain killer for his back, but dang... what CAN you take that won't contribute to kidney probs these days? My cousin suffers from back problems too, but he is scared to death now to take anything for pain, poor guy!
I was told to use Tylenol when my level was high and both kidneys were full of rocks. I guess it doesn't mess with your kidneys like ibuprofen does when you're already having problems. If I was having a rock augering it's way out I took whatever would work that wouldn't kill me. Actually many of the good medical sites can give you great info on what you can safely take together, how much safely, side affects, how long supposedly expjred meds are actually safe to take etc. I spent a few very painful nights googling what I could take and all that a long while ago when I was in the middle of attacks and short on decent meds.

Fergus Mom

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Elly
I was told to use Tylenol when my level was high and both kidneys were full of rocks. I guess it doesn't mess with your kidneys like ibuprofen does when you're already having problems. If I was having a rock augering it's way out I took whatever would work that wouldn't kill me. Actually many of the good medical sites can give you great info on what you can safely take together, how much safely, side affects, how long supposedly expjred meds are actually safe to take etc. I spent a few very painful nights googling what I could take and all that a long while ago when I was in the middle of attacks and short on decent meds.

Those stones sound like the ultimate of misery! I read to my old cousin all the time about meds, etc. but he just won't take google's word for anything - ha. It has to come straight out of his doctor's mouth for him to believe it. I hope you don't suffer from these any longer - ugh!

Dartman

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Terry
Well They smashed the last huge ones in both kidney 10 years ago and I started taking Magnesium and B6 which is supposed to change the chemistry in your kidneys so the calcium doesn't bind as readily to the oxilate pill that forms first. Since then I've passed a few very tiny ones that are mostly the round oxilate ball the calcium starts forming crystals on so a lot longer between attacks and they usually pass quickly with less pain.
I have a stash of my happy pills for just in case and they were still effective after 9 years, Google and the medical sites said so and yes they still worked fine.
I passed my first one that I was actually aware of when I was 28 and my last big ones when I was 50 but I used to pass two or three small ones every winter. The first really big ones took almost a year to pass and were the size of my little fingernail each. Fun times, I have a very high tolerance for pain now anyways...:eek:

Karen

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
NOW I know why my old cousin was advised to quit the over the counter pain killer for his back, but dang... what CAN you take that won't contribute to kidney probs these days? My cousin suffers from back problems too, but he is scared to death now to take anything for pain, poor guy!
Ibuprofen is broken down by the kidneys and Tylenol is broken down by the liver. So now I’m using Tylenol hoping that the liver handles it better than the kidneys handled the ibuprofen. Definitely a catch 22 when you’re dealing with chronic pain.

rocky'smom

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
laurie
Back to the topic, caught another one in glue trap this morning. That is ,6 in traps and one mummified one stuck half in half out of the wall. GROSS!!!!!!!!!¡¡¡¡¡¡¡

rocky'smom

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
laurie
I'm so tired of all this, just saw another scurry in kitchen. Da€n it!!!!!!

Karen

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I'm so tired of all this, just saw another scurry in kitchen. Da€n it!!!!!!
I would feel the same. You (or management) are going to have to find their entry point or I'm afraid you're fighting a losing battle.

rocky'smom

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
laurie
I have some opinions on how they getting in, people propping outside doors open while moving in and out is a part of the problem. Another is some of management blind eye to problem at hand. They do not live onsite so it isn't their problem, but you know if was their house or apartment they would all over it. BIG TIME!!!!
Some of it is also the dwellers are coming from infested places and bringing the little unwanted guests with them.

Karen

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Just a suggestion:

I am frantic about mice control. I live rural and am familiar with the season change and cooler nights and what happens when they start looking for a warmer home and manage to find an opening and invite the family. We are ever vigilant in the cellar with mousetraps over the winter. There is an entry point somewhere that I can't find because I still get the occasional mouse down there.

We were able to put a stop to any entry point into the living area of the house. Years ago I removed every piece of trim in my house and sealed every edge with an Eco-Bond caulk sealant and then tacked the trim back up. It helped 100%. All outside doors and the cellar door have a tight sweep on them too.

Fergus Mom

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Elly
Back to the topic, caught another one in glue trap this morning. That is ,6 in traps and one mummified one stuck half in half out of the wall. GROSS!!!!!!!!!¡¡¡¡¡¡¡

I'm sorry Laurie - I didn't mean to derail the topic!
(But thanks @Karen for the Tylenol/Ibuprofen info)

Okay, back to these horrid mice... So Laurie, even though you've seen them in your home since, did the baffles work to keep them out of your birdcage?

I think I said in an earlier post to you that one city I lived in actually used to put out bait stations in the alley if people called them and reported seeing rodents/rats. I've also seen these type used around commercial buildings, grocery stores, etc.
As I recall, the bait stations looked like this:
BAIT STATION BLACK MOUSE.png
SO ... maybe you could call the city in which you live and report this infestation, and tell them these things (which I copied off a pest control website...) I have had good luck with using email to report things to my city in the past.

ARE RODENTS CAUSE FOR CONCERN

Rodents & Disease – In addition to being tough to control, rodents may carry diseases and taint food with waste, fur, and saliva. In fact, mice can contaminate about 10 times the amount of food they eat. The CDC links some rodents to hantavirus pulmonary syndrome, a disease fatal in about 36 percent of all reported U.S. cases.
The pests are also hosts for fleas, which can spread plague and diseases like lymphocytic choriomeningitis virus. This illness mostly affects those with weakened immune systems and may result in headaches, fever, and meningitis. It can also cause complications during pregnancy.

rocky'smom

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
laurie
Well looky what I found in bedroom closet a freeway for mice, with access road.
20190922_130721-1.jpg
I could get my index finger the second knuckle in the da€n hole.
20190922_131117-1.jpg
Stuffed full with copper mesh.
Two more place that you get a pencil in to color part of the pencil. 20190922_131457.jpg
20190922_131406.jpg

Last edited:

rocky'smom

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
laurie
@Fergus Mom yes the baffles have worked. No calling cards in Bebe's cage.
My city doesn't put black boxes out, you must have a pest control agent to do it. The complex will not do it, too much $$.$$

Dartman

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Terry
Your slowly finding all the holes so the problem should be cut way down or stop now. That's the kind of holes we have all over here. Found a HUGE one under the kitchen sink where they got sloppy making room for the plumbing pipes and didn't care to fix it. We also have several where the carpet installers slammed the walls kicking the carpet tight, and some where the cables for TV come up through the floor. Filled most of them with expanding foam and haven't seen as many around but still have to plug up a few more. Sometimes we can hear them chewing trying to get back in so might have to put more bait under the house.

rocky'smom

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
laurie
Dangable thing I found very little for calling cards in that closet. But everything in that closet is in totes or hard boxes on the floor. Plus I use Purex lavender scented crystals in that closet in my bedding dresser. Mice don't like highly scented products.

Last edited:

Hawk12237

Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Michael
They are tomcat jaw snap traps and a electronic trap with peanut butter as bait in all of them. Da€n varmits!!!!!!!!
I got mouse traps called " Jaws" ...has picture of a shark on it....and the trap has teeth! No getting away.

rocky'smom

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
laurie
@Hawk12237 mine are jawed ones also. Matter of fact I got bit last night setting one, trap flipped back and caught right index finger tip. I'm surprised you didn't hear my scream in MI. Left a little blood blister were it bit in. Plus cut my thumb and index finger on copper mesh today. Time for some superglue on them. Doing dishes was painful.