• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

oh crap they are back

rocky'smom

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
laurie
Time to let the complex know, didn't see any for couple of days. Found calling cards this am in bathroom and on love seat. Time to let them know. Bebe's food is removed for the nite and greased legs and shelf with mineral oil. I covered him and tied the covers up out of I hope range of creepy little mice. All the plastic tubs and totes are off the shelf too.

Karen

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I hope the complex responds. They need to find where they are coming in and plug it.

rocky'smom

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
laurie
Nothing this AM. I'm stopping at the office this morning.

rocky'smom

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
laurie
20190903_085400.jpg
Bebe's cage trussed up no hanging sheets.

rocky'smom

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
laurie
Office was closed yesterday, called this morning, pest control will be out Friday. Think I found where they were coming in, mutual wall between my neighbor and me. I plugged it up with copper mesh. GOD 4 YEARS IN ROW.

Fergus Mom

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Elly
How I detest these little varmints, and how I hope I never find one again in my home (and especially in my bird's home)!
I can only imagine that you needed that gallon of lotion for your hands and a heating pad for your poor knees Laurie!
Hopefully the complex will take care of the problem, do you all have those black boxes around like the city puts out for rodents in the neighborhoods? I'm not sure exactly how they work, as I just see them as a hunk of black plastic when I have seen them in the past. (with a door opening in end).

rocky'smom

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
laurie
They will not put them in in the complex.
TOO RISKY, whatever¿¿¿¿¿¡¡¡¡¡¡ They have behind every store, restaurant, in the hood. Treat every building every apartment every dumpster then you can get handle on it.

rocky'smom

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
laurie
OK just had little vermin run across my hallway, this is where it ran into. HMMMMMM I'll fix you my pretty, stuffed the hole full of copper mesh.
20190904_151707-1.jpg
Half a scrubbie filled the hole.

Last edited:

EkkieLu

Rollerblading along the road
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Tricia
Good job! Hopefully that will keep them out for good!!!

MauiWendy

Jogging around the block
Real Name
Wendy
MICE,,,,,Flipping heck, I set traps again cuz I thought I saw one again. I heard snap this evening, yup but the little binder got away SHOOT!!!!¡¡¡ Dang it. Know what I'm doing tomorrow.
Get the sticky kind and put a piece of popcorn in the middle.

Birdie Mama

Mayor of the Avenue
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Hi! Sorry for the problem with the little buggers, they are cute OUTSIDE but not in the house, we had one get in the cage at the campsite inside the tent trailer! Grabbed it, threw it outside and 5 minutes later he was back so this time he died young! No problem after that thank goodness.

Anyway, I manage 3 apt buildings, so 109 suites and we have run into the problem in the past. We figured they were coming into the building through the outside air vents at ground level that go into the crawl space. Installed metal screening that the old window screens had, no more coming in since and that was 4 years ago. In the meantime the ones that were already in, kept getting into the same units. We plugged up the holes around all the pipes and drains with steel wool but ALSO the tiny little holes around the heat pipes that run along the walls that bring heat to your unit, GREAT slowed them down but the little buggers still were coming in.....searched and remembered that one day when we had to do a repair on a dishwasher that in behind it, where there was the wiring, the hole into the wall had never been closed up!! That was how they were still getting into the unit! We pulled out the dw and sure enough -huge hole back there and lots of poop. Closed them off with again the screening, plastered over it and voila! 4 years later and still no mice in any of the 3 buildings anymore.

Talk to your property management with the suggestions of checking those vents and the back of dishwashers, its hidden so may not have been closed up if they were added as part of an upgrade to a unit, and it only takes about half an hour to check on it. And the old metal screening can still be found in hardware stores and as its so fine, it also does not allow any bugs to get in either. Since we did that our spiders and such has gone way down as well.

Hope that helps the problem some, at least its a place to start looking, the wiring around the stove plugs sometimes is also not filled properly, and it is said they only need the size of the tip of your pinky for them to get in.

Vive la guerre!! At least against rodents!!:tmsmakesme:

rocky'smom

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
laurie
Ok , after a day of pulling everything out of cupboards kitchen sink and bathroom cabinet. Everything away from heating pipes. Sweeping and vacuuming along those pipes. Washing the external covers with vinegar water.
20190906_101439.jpg 20190906_101322.jpg 20190906_102412.jpg 20190906_102538.jpg
I get told that they are still dusty. WT???? And too boot my Section 8 housing inspector shows up today. WOW¡¡¿¿!!

rocky'smom

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
laurie
My house is total wreck everything out of place from cupboards and along heating pipes. I still passed my Section 8 inspection. 20190906_101629.jpg Kitchen sink cupboard
20190906_101611.jpg
Bathroom cupboard

20190906_101313.jpg
My bedroom dressing table

Now I get to put it all back.

rocky'smom

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
laurie
Hi! Sorry for the problem with the little buggers, they are cute OUTSIDE but not in the house, we had one get in the cage at the campsite inside the tent trailer! Grabbed it, threw it outside and 5 minutes later he was back so this time he died young! No problem after that thank goodness.

Anyway, I manage 3 apt buildings, so 109 suites and we have run into the problem in the past. We figured they were coming into the building through the outside air vents at ground level that go into the crawl space. Installed metal screening that the old window screens had, no more coming in since and that was 4 years ago. In the meantime the ones that were already in, kept getting into the same units. We plugged up the holes around all the pipes and drains with steel wool but ALSO the tiny little holes around the heat pipes that run along the walls that bring heat to your unit, GREAT slowed them down but the little buggers still were coming in.....searched and remembered that one day when we had to do a repair on a dishwasher that in behind it, where there was the wiring, the hole into the wall had never been closed up!! That was how they were still getting into the unit! We pulled out the dw and sure enough -huge hole back there and lots of poop. Closed them off with again the screening, plastered over it and voila! 4 years later and still no mice in any of the 3 buildings anymore.

Talk to your property management with the suggestions of checking those vents and the back of dishwashers, its hidden so may not have been closed up if they were added as part of an upgrade to a unit, and it only takes about half an hour to check on it. And the old metal screening can still be found in hardware stores and as its so fine, it also does not allow any bugs to get in either. Since we did that our spiders and such has gone way down as well.

Hope that helps the problem some, at least its a place to start looking, the wiring around the stove plugs sometimes is also not filled properly, and it is said they only need the size of the tip of your pinky for them to get in.

Vive la guerre!! At least against rodents!!:tmsmakesme:
Talking to management here is useless unless I want get evicted. No dishwashers in this place either. Sad to say they would like to get rid of all section 8 clients.

Last edited:

rocky'smom

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
laurie

Birdie Mama

Mayor of the Avenue
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Hi,

So sorry to hear that!:crycry2: I’m from canada so had to look up what a section 8 was. I would lose my job and get sued if we treated our tenants like you are being treated!! I have a number that are through mental health and we treat them no different from anyone else!! Especially the company I am with is real big on human rights and treating people respectfully and humanly no matter their background or situation. I have been doing this for 34 years, and no matter the situation, people are still human!!

And then to read they only left you with one glue trap?! :eeeek: I hand them out by the hand full if a tenant wants one, and if not rectified within a few days, we automatically call in Orkin. What is the inspection about? I do yearly inspections but on everyone regardless. Is this a gov agent or just the management? I would hope there is some kind of human rights or tenancy rights board to protect you guys. That has just floored me!:sad11: NO ONE should be treated this way! Period!!

So seeing you are basically on your own to deal with this, and your place all apart, wherever the pipe for the heat comes through the floor, stick some aluminum foil or steel wool or even the copper like you did, as the little buggers will find a way in otherwise. Make sure its wedged in there tight! You can also throw some rat poison through the hole first then seal it up. Also though I haven’t had any mice in here, I have all the bird food in Tupperware containers or cheap ones from dollar stores, as long as they seal up. I ended up with a huge infestation of cereal bugs one year that came in we think through either the flour or a box of walnuts we had, and since doing that and sterilizing everything and keeping everything in jars or containers, have not had a problem since. I also keep a tsp of pickling spice in the corners of cabinets as bugs don’t like them. I can’t remember if moth balls will also work on mice....throw them behind the dressers, corners, closets..one or two here and there. Make sure your babies cannot get at them though... May help.

Take pictures anytime you catch them or see them, or of possible entry points, It may at some point help in the future or if you have a social worker, they call them here, may be worth talking to them at some point as this is a health issue!! But like everything today, document every time you have asked for help, put everything in writing and dated and a copy for yourself, never know when you will need it to prove that you did not ignore the situation so at no time can it be blamed on you if they get an infestation....’well she never made us aware of it so how could we deal with it?”

Wish I was there as I would take that company to task through tabloids, anonymous of course!! Here the tenants would be having a fit if the company did not do something about it regardless of whether they had them or not! Why are others not complaining as they have to be affected!?

I feel for you, as they are hard to get rid of but definitely possible. Let me know if it helps, and if not, I will contact my Orkin guy here in town, he should be here next week actually and will ask him if he has any ideas as to what else can be done for you.

Still burns my butt every time I read how they will not respond and help you! A:atomic: It’s to their advantage so they don’t get infested in all units not to mention the fire hazards.....wonder if contacting local fire dept may do something...again anonymously....:rolleyes:

Let me know how it goes, and if I think of anything else that might help I will drop you a line...:heart:

Dartman

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Terry
I don't think most places on our side have the protections you get on your side. It really depends on who is running the area and how proactive the folks involved get to make the powers that be do something about issues. I'm hoping things change for the better for everyone over here and lots of folks are working on it and getting involved so we'll see.

rocky'smom

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
laurie
What is the inspection about? I
Section 8 does yearly inspection to make sure your apt is clean, lights work, deck railing is secured. Section 8is government run housing program.
If we self treat for mice we can be evicted. I have traps but hid them so I wouldn't be reported. My apt smells like a giant candy cane because I thought they were in my couch and love seat.
OK just had little vermin run across my hallway, this is where it ran into. HMMMMMM I'll fix you my pretty, stuffed the hole full of copper mesh.
View attachment 314485
Half a scrubbie filled the hole.
The copper mesh is how they block the holes from mice. Moth balls are poisonous fumes for our feathered buddies won't use in my apt. They make my asthma horrible. This place is owned by a group of lawyers, manage by a bunch of millennials who are grandchildren of the original owner. The one kid just bought a million and half dollar lake home in Minnetonka with grandpa's beloved tenants rent money.

Last edited:

rocky'smom

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
laurie
Forgot to add only my bedroom needs to get put away. My back is killing me.