• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Nuts.com ( Almond Warning )

Bartleby

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
I am not happy. I got this email today;

Hi Karen,

Thank you for your patience. I have spoken with our QA department, who called our supplier, who came to take a look as well. The dark spotting you are seeing is safe; we cracked open a pound or so and the nuts inside were beautiful. Our supplier is, however, speaking with the grower as well as his QA department, as the striped discoloration does trouble him either way. He will let us know for certain that nothing is wrong as soon as he receives word that this is not cause for concern. He did explain that, unlike previous years, these shells have not been "bleached", which is why there is so much dirt on them. If you have any other questions, please feel free to let me know.

Thank you,
Sam
What! :wideyed: Safe? o_O With fuzzy mold covering them????

jmfleish

Cruising the avenue
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Jen
Grrrrrr....I'm just seeing this! I've been ordering from Nuts.com for years and I'd say that they've been getting progressively worse over the last two years with their in-shell almonds. I end up throwing about half the bag away. I use them in my toys so I have to be careful. This last holiday season, I got my almonds at the grocery store where I could pick them out but I'm almost out now and I was going to give Nuts.com another try but it seems as they are getting even worse. I have to get more almonds or people who order the Alex Toys will SHOOT ME! I think I'm in big trouble....

Sarah, thanks for bringing this to everyone's attention. I've just been living with the stuff that comes to me thinking that it was the way it should be...boy am I dumb!:(

Clueless

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Thank you for the c
What! :wideyed: Safe? o_O With fuzzy mold covering them????
Not good, not good at all.

Glad my amazons don't eat almonds.

Macawnutz

Seriously Nutz!
Super Administrator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Sarah
I am not happy. I got this email today;
Thank you,
Sam

Sam is who I talked too the second time I called and got the refund. :kickout:

Sarah, thanks for bringing this to everyone's attention. I've just been living with the stuff that comes to me thinking that it was the way it should be...boy am I dumb!:(

I have not had problems or seen this until my last order which was early November. I did not get into the mixed nuts of the order until early January. :( I don't buy bulk and buy one pound bags of everything. Into the fridge they go otherwise I would have noticed sooner.... Having just dealt with asper I wanted my vet to see them..... Binky is still so unwell..... He has been home with me on 24 hour watch for quite sometime. :(

I'm done with almonds for awhile....

Macawnutz

Seriously Nutz!
Super Administrator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Sarah
They do look nice!

jmfleish

Cruising the avenue
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Jen
Oooohhhhh! Avian Naturals...heading over there now which might be dangerous! LOL!

Sarah, I had no idea that Binky had asper. How scary for both of you! Give him a kiss for me!

Wasabisaurus

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
On occasion I have seen questionable nuts in with the mix I use for Wasabi's treat cup. They go into the garbage. Are they spoiled? I don't know. I don't care if they are perfectly fine. They go in the garbage.

I just received an pine nut order from Nuts.com. They look good to me. They made an error and sent a bag of unshelled pine nuts. Well, there's no fun in not having to snap off the shell! I explained that to them. A shelled bag is on the way.

I have not ordered almonds from them and won't be.

Oh my poor gorgeous Binky! I am sorry he is ill. Kisses for Binky! Did Binky get it from a bad nut?

Lady Jane

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Dianne
Can you keep the first bag they sent you that were not in the shell?

Wasabisaurus

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Yes, the lady I emailed said I could keep it. I wasn't going to bother trying to make a trade. I don't really know what to do with the unshelled nuts. Feed the squirrels?

JosienBB

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Yes, the lady I emailed said I could keep it. I wasn't going to bother trying to make a trade. I don't really know what to do with the unshelled nuts. Feed the squirrels?
Eat them yourself! Pine nuts are very yummy! :)

Macawnutz

Seriously Nutz!
Super Administrator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Sarah
Oh my poor gorgeous Binky! I am sorry he is ill. Kisses for Binky! Did Binky get it from a bad nut?

When my vet tested the nuts and gave me the news he said very clearly that it could have been where Binky picked up the asper. However.... Binky has had subtle symptoms of "something" since the day he came to me. Over the years it has just gotten progressively worse. The asper is now gone and we are still fighting something... Binky is not doing well. Tomorrow marks four weeks on a rice diet. Currently we have him sedated to stop him from mutilating himself. I'm hoping to get him in next week for further testing.

When in doubt, throw them away.... It seems most of us here buy human grade nuts, can you imagine what the seconds are infested with? :wtf::(

Wasabisaurus

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I'll be buying human grade henceforth. I found a bad nut in the mix I bought recently and one questionable nut. They photograph terribly. I'll throw them out.
I wonder if should give up using that mix altogether since I found one bad nut.

Karen

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I took a chance and ordered Almonds from nuts.com and they're perfect!

Macawnutz

Seriously Nutz!
Super Administrator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Sarah
I took a chance and ordered Almonds from nuts.com and they're perfect!

My last batch was too. ;)

I keep ordering one bag to see the quality and my next order will resume as usual.

iamwhoiam

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
@Macawnutz Sorry to read about Binky. Hope he gets better soon.

The seed mix I get sometimes has these horrible looking nuts in it. I toss those nuts or call the company and sometimes I get a replacement bag. I've sent an email to their sales and general managers to see if they can offer a seed mix without peanuts. They offer cockatiel mixes without sunflower seeds so I don't see why they can't do the same with their hookbill mix.

Danita

Ripping up the road
Super Administrator
Chief Beak
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Danita
I find the mixes always have yucky looking nuts in them. Its like they get seconds from the supplier for the mixes.
Even shelled walnuts are so dark and dehydrated, makes me wonder about the whole mix.