• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Nuts.com ( Almond Warning )

Clueless

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Grrrr
My almonds from them were the same
Me being passive just threw them away (bad ones)
That was almost half!
I just put in an order from another company
Can still call and complain. FOR PEOPLE LIKE ME that would not have known better and whose parrots could have gotten sick.

Not passive....protective.

Birdiemarie

Feather Snuggler
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Marie
I've never ordered nuts from them but order other things regularly and am very pleased with the quality. I'm leery of nuts in the shell anyway so prefer to buy them out of shell.

Shyra

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Spotlight Award
I do like Marie, I buy a lot of different items from Nuts.com every couple of months and never had a problem with quality. I buy a lot of nuts but never in shell. I just can not spend so much more on shipping just for the weight of the shell.

I do think it's a shame they didn't try to do more to resolve this. I always felt they went out of the way to make me a happy customer every time I called or emailed with a question. I hope it's not a sign that their quality of service will be going down.

Macawnutz

Seriously Nutz!
Super Administrator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Sarah
I'm going to again mention, I love the company. They were wonderful to me until this. My issue is only with the almonds and I do order fruit from them still.

I do not wish to scare people from the company. Just be aware of the issue with the almonds.

Karen

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I have 10 lbs. arriving tomorrow.......

I quickly ordered from Avian Naturals this morning in case the almonds look bad.

Karen

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Glad I ordered back up Almonds from another source. My order showed up this afternoon.

IMG_0551.JPG

aooratrix

Macawaholic
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Matthew
So, I made a very large order of shelled nuts a few months back and noticed some discoloration with some of the almonds. At first I paid little attention and tossed them as I have never had a problem with this company. I happened to open a bag that was quite disgusting and I sent them an email asking what I was seeing as I know what it looked like. No reply. A week or two later I called. The lady discussed the possibility of what she called hull rot, saying it was a bad season. She said she would have someone more experienced call me back. Not twenty minutes later a women called me explaining that what I was seeing was dirt. They claim they "no longer bleach the shell". I explained very clearly that I was not buying that story and that most of the almonds looked as usual.... all except the fungus looking ones... She assured me it was not a fungus and asked me to crack open the nut a take a look. At this point I told her I did not care what the inside of the nut looked like as my bird would already have it in his mouth! There was no resolution and she told me if I ordered more, they would look the same.

Being me, I brought the nuts to my vet. My vet ran some tests and talked with a few "nut" friends. THEY HAVE MOLD!!!! I know three more bird people that have noticed this as well, be on the lookout if you order from this company. Of course I took a picture. :wtf:

View attachment 195990
[/QUOTE

My friend and I have notices this, as well. Done with their almonds. Lame answer from the Nut People. No offer of a refund or replacement with a different nut? BS.

KimKim

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Where is their quality control!:fired:

Macawnutz

Seriously Nutz!
Super Administrator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Sarah
I called them a bit ago.

They are now offering me a refund and saying to not order almonds until the new season. I told her what I really wanted is for them to STOP selling them, they are putting our birds at risk. Let's remember that I have an amazon that just finished treatment for asper.....

If you called once and they did not refund you. Call them again! Even if you threw out the product. They looked at my order history and had no problems this time.

sonja

Jogging around the block
Thanks for this thread. I just got a bag from them that has some bad ones too.

rocky'smom

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
laurie

gibsongrrrl

Courtney Lou Hoo
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Courtney Lou Hoo
OMG!! so glad you didn't feed those. That really sucks that they won't refund and make it right. Almonds was pretty much the only thing I was getting ready to order from them. Glad I saw your post first. Thanks for sharing:hug8:

gibsongrrrl

Courtney Lou Hoo
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Courtney Lou Hoo
mind if i share this on FB? just a photo and warning?

Macawnutz

Seriously Nutz!
Super Administrator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Sarah
mind if i share this on FB? just a photo and warning?

You can use my photo.

I also want to add mine came from a mixed bag of nuts. I do not order only almonds.

Karen

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
You can use my photo also. Mine came from a 5# bag of Almonds.

Karen

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
They are now offering me a refund and saying to not order almonds until the new season. I told her what I really wanted is for them to STOP selling them, they are putting our birds at risk. Let's remember that I have an amazon that just finished treatment for asper.....
This is so upsetting. We've been through Asper twice. Once compromised they're always at such a great risk to reactivate it.

gibsongrrrl

Courtney Lou Hoo
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Courtney Lou Hoo
Thanks ladies! will share to get the word out. I know lots of bird folks that order from them and a group that orders huge amounts at a time to send to rescues. I'm sure they will really appreciate a heads up.

aooratrix

Macawaholic
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Matthew
What they need to do is post a warning on their site, but pulling the product would be ideal. And they claim to be so friendly! :yelling: