• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Nuts.com ( Almond Warning )

Macawnutz

Seriously Nutz!
Super Administrator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Sarah
So, I made a very large order of shelled nuts a few months back and noticed some discoloration with some of the almonds. At first I paid little attention and tossed them as I have never had a problem with this company. I happened to open a bag that was quite disgusting and I sent them an email asking what I was seeing as I know what it looked like. No reply. A week or two later I called. The lady discussed the possibility of what she called hull rot, saying it was a bad season. She said she would have someone more experienced call me back. Not twenty minutes later a women called me explaining that what I was seeing was dirt. They claim they "no longer bleach the shell". I explained very clearly that I was not buying that story and that most of the almonds looked as usual.... all except the fungus looking ones... She assured me it was not a fungus and asked me to crack open the nut a take a look. At this point I told her I did not care what the inside of the nut looked like as my bird would already have it in his mouth! There was no resolution and she told me if I ordered more, they would look the same.

Being me, I brought the nuts to my vet. My vet ran some tests and talked with a few "nut" friends. THEY HAVE MOLD!!!! I know three more bird people that have noticed this as well, be on the lookout if you order from this company. Of course I took a picture. :wtf:

20150207_130911.jpg

JosienBB

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
:omg: That's terrible!!

Such a shame, I really wanted to order in-shell pine nuts from there... Thanks for the warning!

Macawnutz

Seriously Nutz!
Super Administrator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Sarah

HollyT

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Holly
I purchased in-shell almonds from a local nut shop. I had to weed through each and cull the funny looking ones too. When I was buying them the lady said they were so disappointed in the crop this year, apparently it was a bad almond crop year. She said they even had them marked down in price and were taking a hit because of it. The good ones I kept have stayed clean and are in an air tight jar. I tossed the bad looking ones in the trash.

itzmered

Welcome to Parrotdise
Super Administrator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Chris
I would send the testing report from the vet and tell them they need to own up to it and pull their product. Remind them about the peanut butter that killed a few people, sickened hundreds and bankrupted a company. I work in the food manufacturing industry and this would be a huge concern to the FDA

Macawnutz

Seriously Nutz!
Super Administrator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Sarah
I would send the testing report from the vet and tell them they need to own up to it and pull their product. Remind them about the peanut butter that killed a few people, sickened hundreds and bankrupted a company. I work in the food manufacturing industry and this would be a huge concern to the FDA

I have been meaning to put a call back into them since my vet did the testing, Not really an excuse but I have been so busy... I agree with you 100%

itzmered

Welcome to Parrotdise
Super Administrator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Chris
By the way since you called with a complaint if they are FDA compliant they legally have to log a record of the complaint and do a follow up investigation. From the response you received I highly doubt they are doing that. I would call back and tell them you want to file a formal complaint about moldy product and that you are concerned for other consumers

Sadieladie1994

Riding the Skies
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Peggy
Boy, one bad nut and those fungal spores ruin the rest in the bag. Do you still order from them? Have you ever ordered from LA nut house

My flock is small enough that I just buy a couple of bags at the grocery store and pine nuts at my farmers market.

Greycloud

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
This is upsetting. I love their products. THey are also very good about getting back to me ASAP if I have a question. I have been able to purchase bags of mixed nuts at the grocery stores of late. Maybe I will stick to that. I am glad you spoke up!

Clueless

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
I was going to place an order with them too. If they have you the runaround......I'm due they wouldn't care about a new small customer.

I need pistachios but I have no clue what to look for in nuts that make them bad. I'll be talking to my vet tomorrow. They should be aware of this too.

Karen

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Last edited:

Lady Jane

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Dianne
Good to know this as I order some seeds for my birds - hemp, chia, sesame and milk thistle. Did you get any resolution from Nuts.com?

Macawnutz

Seriously Nutz!
Super Administrator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Sarah
Do you still order from them?

I have not ordered any nuts since. I have ordered my regular fruit orders.

This is upsetting. I love their products. THey are also very good about getting back to me ASAP if I have a question.

Oh gosh... they were SO great to me too until this! AND I ORDER A CRAP TON OF NUTS! :laugh: I love this store and I'm so angry they did not offer me resolution. When she told me my new order would look the same... I was very disappointed.

I was going to place an order with them too. I need pistachios but I have no clue what to look for in nuts that make them bad. I'll be talking to my vet tomorrow. They should be aware of this too.

I did not have an issue with pistachios, I order those too. My only issue was with the almonds to be clear.

Thanks for the heads up.

Sarah, Jaffe Bros. has some very nice organic in-shell almonds. The shell is hard but should be no problem for the Hys.
For an easier shell to crack; Avian Naturals offers some nice in-shell organic Almonds.

Thanks Karen. I am trying a few new sources. I'm just having trouble finding a company that carries everything I want. I want an all in one store :laugh:. They have to carry bags of mixed shelled nuts, Pine nuts and pistachios in shell, & macadamias, walnuts, and cashews out of the shell.

Overall I'm still just mad at Nuts.com. They could have/SHOULD have fixed this with me.

lupe

Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Lupe
Dang!~~im fortunate to have a great local source for nuts. The bags are clear so I know exactly what they look like before buying them...

Bokkapooh

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Mercedez
I order from them all the time. Although I never buy almonds, as my local grocer sells them quite reasonably.

But Ive never had an issue in the past with Nuts.com

Did you talk to a supervisor or just another "regular employee"? Maybe call someone higher up and they'd be able to talk to you better. And definiely send the report to them. And if it doesnt resolve, they should be reported to the BBB, I'd think. Or would that be FDA?

Macawnutz

Seriously Nutz!
Super Administrator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Sarah
Did you talk to a supervisor or just another "regular employee"? Maybe call someone higher up and they'd be able to talk to you better. And definiely send the report to them. And if it doesnt resolve, they should be reported to the BBB, I'd think. Or would that be FDA?

At first I talked with an employee that answered the phone. She rambled about the hull rot. I assume a supervisor called me back to give me the bleaching shell story.

Clueless

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING

At first I talked with an employee that answered the phone. She rambled about the hull rot. I assume a supervisor called me back to give me the bleaching shell story.
I say don't assume. Call back and ask for a manager and explain they will be losing your business if they don't let you speak to them. Ask for name of employee and document call. If not happy with result, explain you are taking this further. File complaints where needed. Others like me that don't know what to look for could get sick birds from this. Not good.

If you get positive results, I'll place my order with them afterwards..

Mystics Mom

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Tanya
Grrrr
My almonds from them were the same
Me being passive just threw them away (bad ones)
That was almost half!
I just put in an order from another company