• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

NOVA Came home!! unwell....

Status
Not open for further replies.

RainbowBunny

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Crystal
Omg waterfaller you changed your picture and I didn't know it was you... ive been trying to call your friend but she hasn't called back :"( I guess she's pretty busy

CheekyBeaks

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Ann-Marie
I'm glad to hear nova seems to be doing well. :dance4:
most babies will start wing flapping long before they fledge to develop muscle tone, I would highly doubt she will take off any time soon but I may be wrong as i havent reared large macaws. A friend reared a couple of large macaws had hers fledge at somewhere around 3-4 months old if I remember correctly. If she is not fully feathered and perching well she won't be ready to fledge.
From my understanding large macaws are around 5-8 months old before they wean so if she is refusing formula I would be concerned. It may just be that she is ready to drop a feed (ie. go from 4 to 3feeds per day) some babies who are ready get very fussy and when a feed is dropped they go back to eating a full handfed again. I would also be offering her solid foods to try on her own now too, pellets, veggies etc.. If you aren't already. Putting a small piece of food onto the tongue helps them to get a taste for new things most will flick out solids at first but will soon realise how yummy things can be :D

CheekyBeaks

Real Name
Ann-Marie
I know, she's not even fully feathered yet but I have no options. I've tried EVERYTHING. We've rotated through 4 different types of food now and she wont eat any of it. I had taken out the baby food last week, I tried putting it back in yesterday and nothing. She has another appointment on Thursday even the vet thinks she's just being a picky eater bc she will eat hard foods. She just picks at her pellets, but she eats all kinds of Gerber foods, Trix, Cherrios, Life, Rice she really likes banana cookies (gerber graduates) but again she eats incredibly small amounts of it. At this point ladies and gentlemen I'm about to bust out the seed.....dun dun duhhhh.:eek:
Just realised from this post you are trying her on solids, I would steer clear of any human prepared foods like breakfast cereals they arent healthy for birds and they are often very high in iron. Fresh veggies, fruits, cooked grains, legumes, sprouts etc are best and healthiest as well as pellets. You may need to try a few brands until you find one she is enthusiastic about eating. Honestly don't break out dry seed at this stage unless you are super desperate.

I dont want to start the debate again and am in no way judging you rainbowbunny but for those who are reading who dont have experience with raising birds may not realise that unfortunately these issues like her being fussy and not knowing what to eat are usually a direct result of being raised on her own and without other macaws, babies learn either from mum and dad or siblings interacting and teaching one another how and what to eat, and other life behaviours. For readers this is another example why bubs shouldn't be raised alone if it can be helped. Social skills from growing up with other birds at this age don't just effect if they will be bird friendly or not they develop the entire behavioural and emotional structure for their life.

sodakat

Real Name
Kathy
Have you soaked and cooked dried beans for her? She may like them. Also defrost some frozen peas and see what she thinks of them. She should remove the skin and eat the "kernel" from beans and peas. If she will do this it may be time for you to make "chop". However, I too think it is unusual that she wants nothing to do with formula. Even babies who can eat well on their own generally want some warm food that they don't have to work for.

Mythreeiggys

Hit the Road
Real Name
Danielle
I know, she's not even fully feathered yet but I have no options. I've tried EVERYTHING. We've rotated through 4 different types of food now and she wont eat any of it. I had taken out the baby food last week, I tried putting it back in yesterday and nothing. She has another appointment on Thursday even the vet thinks she's just being a picky eater bc she will eat hard foods. She just picks at her pellets, but she eats all kinds of Gerber foods, Trix, Cherrios, Life, Rice she really likes banana cookies (gerber graduates) but again she eats incredibly small amounts of it. At this point ladies and gentlemen I'm about to bust out the seed.....dun dun duhhhh.:eek:
Baby foods that are targeted toward older babies are not good for her at all. The sugar and sodium content is very high. Cereals also aren't the best either. Your best bet is to offer fresh foods like veggies, sprouts, some fruits and bird bread.

RainbowBunny

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Crystal
I know I know the sugar in them is horrible but it really Is all I can get her to eat voluntarily :"/ I haven't tried frozen peas or cooked beans ill grab some at the store today.. any bean in particular? ? And fresh fruits and veggies are an obvious lol ^_^ but I appreciate the concern.. she's had tomato and banana strawberry some grape apple spinich mushroom just simple things..I'm about to offer broccoli. And yes its unnerving that she won't accept my feedings I've dropped her to 3 feedings already as I felt that may be the case as well and nope. She still won't even bob at me I got bobbing for 1 day and that was it.. i do have a really strange tid bit however
. help me with this, after every feeding I wipe her down from beak to foot with a hot rag starting at beak obviously. When I wipe her beak sides she bobs at the rag, just the rag!! And when I say hot I mean the water in the faucet comes out at 127 degrees, again its obvious I let it cool a little but its still very warm when I wipe her beak down. Before we go anywhere else I'll have you know that I've already tried using the warm rag on her beak while i feed her to make her take the food. It worked once and after that nothing. Not only was it very difficult to wipe her mouth with a rag while feeding her, she doesn't really understand "hold still honey" yet either.

sodakat

Real Name
Kathy
How much does she eat of the fresh foods? Have you weighed her before and after? Large beans are not what you are after although they won't hurt as long as they are cooked well. If you buy the 15/16 bean soup mix and soak 1 cup of it overnight it will be ready to cook in the morning. Rinse then put in a pan and cover with water about 1/2 over the beans. Bring to a boil then turn the heat down. Make sure it is still boiling, but not a rapid boil -- but not a simmer either because the beans need to cook. Cook for 25-30 minutes. Cool and rinse. You can freeze them in tablespoon size pkgs for her.

RainbowBunny

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Crystal
No I've never weighed her before and after veggies she gets then every 2 hours or so she mainly just picks at them I've been pretty focused on the whole formula thing.. ok headed to the store after my gf gets off work.. I can cook veggies for her right. I mean I think she'll take them better if they're hot. .

CheekyBeaks

Real Name
Ann-Marie
If the warm cloth on her beak is stimulating her to eat perhaps her formula isn't warm enough? Some birds like to eat warmer than others. I generally feed at around 40-41 degrees Celcius, but I think it is safe up to 43. Some birds require a little pressure on the sides of their beaks to stimulate a feed response as well, this would replicate the pressure of mums beak as she feeds them. Some babies like Greencheeks actually have soft pads that are very sensitive to the touch and will get them pumping for food easily.
i know you are having difficulty getting her to eat but it is really important that you don't let her get used to the wrong foods or you will have even more eating problems later in life. Stick to only fresh healthy foods and bird specific diets she will get used to it, she is only young and needs the right guidance to know what is best for her. My smaller species babies normally wean at around 8-12 weeks depending on species and the individual babies and they take weeks to be competent at eating on their own and they have the opportunity to learn from each other.

Do you know anyone with a gentle older macaw or other large bird that is healthy that she can spend some time with regularly? If so it may be worth getting some play time arranged for her, an older bird will teach her how to eat correctly and what foods she should be eating.

Last edited:

Bokkapooh

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Mercedez
Dont offer her seed at this time unless its sprouted.

Whem Mera was pre weaning she only nibbled on the food I put down twice a day. But you have to keep offering it and large variety. Seed wont do anything but create a even pickier baby. She needs variety. And keep offering her formula whem she asks for it.

ashbirdlady

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Christa
Cereals are fine. Just get organic no additives.(Bob's Red Mill 5,8 and 10 grain) Sweeten with a little fruit or veggie baby food. Again no additives and organic if you can find it.
:) I am so glad Nova is doing better

Sadieladie1994

Riding the Skies
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Peggy
Here is just one video of a bird being fed •Buckle, A Baby Shamrock Macaw Learns To Fly Free - YouTube •As Buckle is growing his age is given in days and they share his age. •You can see how active he gets and what the feathering looks like. •You can see the consistancy of the food. •You also get a glimpse of Buckle beginning to refuse food.

Foods introduced for my Scarlet was simple veggies and fruits. •I used the puffs for him to play with initially. •As he picked at the puffs and tried them I then added veggies and fruit. •Macaws will pick at these food items if laid out for them. •Ben was in a large plastic bin and could always see the food. •There was not another bird for him to pall with so I ate my meals with him. •Birds have to learn what is the right foods to eat. •He really did watch what I ate and he then had to have the same as me. •I continued to offer feedings even if refused or less. •Feedings were on a regular schedule with fluctuation of an hour. •If usual time was 2 pm I fed between 1pm and 3pm.. •Ben occasionally did not eat much at one meal but made up for it later. •He was never left hungry. •Most times when fed in the morning and was satisfied he then would go after the other food. •They don't search for foods in a bowl at first so food needs to be right in front of them and easy to find.

Ben, a scarlet macaw, came home at 29 days. •He is now 18 months old. •He is one of my 3 little piggies! •Hope this information was helpful to you or give you some reassurance.

RainbowBunny

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Crystal
Dont offer her seed at this time unless its sprouted.

Whem Mera was pre weaning she only nibbled on the food I put down twice a day. But you have to keep offering it and large variety. Seed wont do anything but create a even pickier baby. She needs variety. And keep offering her formula whem she asks for it.
The problem is she doesn't ask for it.... or anything else. She does nibble solid food that's exactly how to describe it. But that's all.

RainbowBunny

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Crystal
So. Bob from Bob's Rescue just came by to check out Nova and how I was feeding her and everything happening to try to find out why she refuses to eat. It turns out Nova is COMPLETELY healthy she's refusing to eat bc she's spoiled out of this world. He said I was doing everything right she was just a very very spoiled Birdie ^_^ the formula was a little thick but otherwise happy healthy baby bird. Why is she so smart!!!:lol:

heirofslytherin123

Real Name
Gabby
Bob runs a rescue here in san antonio. He has about 10 years of experience. He has large bird handfeeding experience. I recommended his help as he was local.

Sadieladie1994

Riding the Skies
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Peggy
He has been doing rescue in the area for a while. He has handled many species of birds.

It is always good to have reassurance

JAM

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
I like Sadie's Comment about eating with him to show him the foods are good. I often do this with our lories when introducing new food to them. Except peas, I hate peas so if they don't like them it's fine with me.:lol:

I'd have done the same as you and got Nova out of the situation he was in, just keep him close to your AV as you are doing, it may cost, but in the long run will be more than worth it. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.