• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

NOVA Came home!! unwell....

Status
Not open for further replies.

RainbowBunny

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Crystal
So Little Nova came home Saturday night:dance5: I was under the impression that she was being picked up at 6 weeks old on 3 feedings a day... wrong. The moment I saw her I knew she wasnt more than 3 weeks but the breeder insisted she was on 3 feedings. I felt that leaving her behind was going to end in a seriously malnurished baby Nova so I brought her home and immediately upped her feedings to 4 and more formula with each feeding as 60 CCs was less than what she should be eating..when I brought her home she had a small sneeze which I noted but passed off as a baby being a baby, by day 2 her sneeze had gotten worse but she was still eating pooping and interacting just fine so again noted and passed off..this is where I made my mistake. By day 3 Nova threw up. She's now in an incubator at my Vets office... did I metion she had a foot infection and her 2 inner toes "fell off" BEFORE I brought her home!! We had an appointment for friday for a check up but i didnt want to wait... 20130807_111732.jpg 20130802_201348.jpg :heart::heart: if something happens to my little girl I will not take responsibility for my actions...

waterfaller1

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
carole
if something happens to my little girl I will not take responsibility for my actions...
:( Why not? You bought an unweaned baby, so anything that happens is your responsibility.

greymatron

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Nicole
It seems like the baby would have done worse off if she stayed with the breeder...So if I'm understanding correctly, given the same situation, I would have done the same. How does a baby get an infection, toes falling off, etc?! Other than an unclean environment..I hope she pulls through and you are able to live a long life together.

Renae

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Has the breeder offered to pay any of the vet costs? I mean, they sold you baby with a foot infection and 2 toes that fell off. They shouldn’t have sold you an unweaned baby, let alone a baby with a foot infection and 2 missing toes. I hope Nova will be okay.

waterfaller1

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
carole
The toes falling off is common to improper humidity, not an unclean environment. I am sorry to have sounded harsh. I too hope she will be ok.:hug8:

Anne & Gang

Riding the Skies
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Anne
o h no!! I hope the little one will be ok!! :hug8:

Milo

Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Jenny
Right or wrong, this little one is in trouble now. I would contact the breeder and see what they have to say about the illness. Was there a health guarantee? There have been a couple folks here that have dealt with ill baby macaws, I would try to get in touch with them to see if they have any advice for you. I hope your little one gets well soon

RainbowBunny

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Crystal
Bc if she gets hurt anymore im going to go VOLCANIC on her "Breeder". My baby should have been taken better care of, no baby should be in this condition let alone an unweaned 3 & 1/2 week old... I have bought unweaned babies for years bc I LOVE feeding them. I cant have children so they are my children and I love the responsibility I have to feed them :heart:

Love My Zons

Cruising the avenue
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Claire
The Breeder was the responsible one and she was not in the least responsible. It is fun to comfort feed I will admit but feeding to sustain life? NO WAY, not in the least bit fun for me anyway. I am not seeing how this Breeder allowed this......... Or unless you wanted to buy an un-weaned baby?? Then the ball is in your court to be the one soley responsible for this baby's welfare. I am saddened to hear that such a young baby would be allowed to leave, any responsible breeder would never allow this! I hope that this baby makes it, from the sounds of it there is more going against it then for it. :(

jmfleish

Cruising the avenue
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Jen
I have to agree with Claire, you are the one who chose to take this baby home at such an early age and you took that responsibility on. I'm assuming you told the breeder you had handfeeding experience. Unfortunately, there are so many things that can go wrong at this age that has nothing to with whether or not you’re a good breeder. I hope for everyone's sake that this little one makes it but please let this be a reminder to everyone who ever thinks that buying an unweaned baby is not a big deal, because it is a big deal. Unless you really know what you're doing, and it doesn't just come down to knowing how to handfeed, you can come across a lot of different complications, constricted toe syndrome being just one of them. I pray this little one makes it.

Bokkapooh

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Mercedez
I can't have children either but choose to adopt. Not saying unweaned or having a baby bird is wrong. But you cannot blame the breeder. You adopted her knowing she was very young and missing toes and by spending $500-700 on an unweaned sick macaw baby, you basically told the breeder she is awesome and amazing and to continue to do what she has been doing.

I'm not against buying unweaned or baby/weaned birds. But supporting a bad breeder I am against.:(

SandraK

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Palm Coast, FL. Carioca'55 when RJ was in GB.
Real Name
Sandra
My :angel1::angel1::angel1::angel1: , :fingerscrossed::fingerscrossed::fingerscrossed::fingerscrossed::fingerscrossed: and :hug8::hug8::hug8::hug8:go out to you and little Nova for her to pull through and come home to you soon. I won't say what I really think of the breeder cause I'll end up in the shed. :rolleyes:

RainbowBunny

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Crystal
I can't have children either but choose to adopt. Not saying unweaned or having a baby bird is wrong. But you cannot blame the breeder. You adopted her knowing she was very young and missing toes and by spending $500-700 on an unweaned sick macaw baby, you basically told the breeder she is awesome and amazing and to continue to do what she has been doing.

I'm not against buying unweaned or baby/weaned birds. But supporting a bad breeder I am against.:(
I can honestly say that I have no regrets about taking in my baby id rather know shes going to get medical attention with me than fear she may die an unweaned baby with a breeder who didnt love her. My baby is amazing and for all you nah sayers I dont tell you how to raise your babies, yes I took Nova home, I also provided the love, food, toys, mental stimulation and vet visit required obviously my baby was sick when I chose her but that doesnt mean I dont know what im doing. Shes at the vet she is active, eating regularly and gaining weight normally. But sneezing and panting are signs of a respiratory problem and while she's only thrown up once it can get life threatening if it happens again and I'm not just letting that go.. yes I am going to have a conversation with the breeder bc no I didnt know my baby was sick when I brought her home. I did know she wasnt being fed enough or as frequently as she needed to be and thats why I chose to bring her home when I did. So thanks for all your support, and maybe you shouldnt look down on other's choices to care for young birds bc I feel im doing an awesone job as a mommy.:huh:
And just so we're clear I wanted to bring her home at 6 weeks. Not 3. But I didnt feel comfortable leaving her.

Last edited:

suncoast

Cruising the avenue
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Ginger
Many prayers that the little precious babygirl pulls through. I am so sorry she's sick. And IMO no quality breeder would EVER let a baby go home unweaned. Who ever you got her from needs to be put out of business.

Ginger

Last edited:

Birdbabe

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
I just hope shes gonna be ok.......:hug8:

solo

Real Name
jess
if something happens to my little girl I will not take responsibility for my actions...​

i think a lot of you guys read this wrong
i'm pretty sure she means she will physically damage the breeder if Nova doesn't make it and that she does not take responsibility for damaged caused to the idiot

i think what you did was what i would have done
i would not have been able to leave a baby to die so kudos to you :heart::hug8:

Milo

Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Jenny
i think a lot of you guys read this wrong
i'm pretty sure she means she will physically damage the breeder if Nova doesn't make it and that she does not take responsibility for damaged caused to the idiot

i think what you did was what i would have done
i would not have been able to leave a baby to die so kudos to you :heart::hug8:

I am certain that everyone read that correctly. I don't believe in leaving animals to suffer, however, the OP willingly brought an unweaned baby bird home that was already missing toes. I can't see why she is surprised that the bird is otherwise ill.

That said, I am glad that the little one is getting medical attention and is doing well under a vet's care.

RainbowBunny

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Crystal
Just got the call from the vet, Nova has a severe pneumonia. They put her on the strongest antibiotics her body can handle for her age but he said her chances werent good. So yea I guess this is what I get for buying unweaned babies. Thanks again guys.

waterfaller1

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
carole
She will also need an antifungal med along with the antibiotic, I hope the vet will also consider this. We aren't looking down on you. All of us who have been here know that each year we see this same scenario over and over. Most often with bad results. They are almost always sick.
You have to understand that the feathering in period is one of the most crucial, and when death most often occurs. So to this breeder, if she gets them sold and off her hands then she doesn't have to worry about the loss. She got her money and you get nothing but a heartbreak.:(
I am praying that it was caught in time and she pulls through.:hug8:

Status
Not open for further replies.