• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here
  • This forum is for advice about initial treatment given to your injured/sick bird until a qualified avian veterinarian is available.
    THIS IS NOT MEANT TO REPLACE VET CARE

Not sure of next steps - 17 year old sun conure

Status
Not open for further replies.

RebeccaP

Meeting neighbors
I'm trying to work out a good schedule for giving Willie her meds and water while still giving her plenty of time to rest. How does this schedule sound?

Water 8:30 Antibiotics 8:30 Food 11:00 Water 1:30 Calcium 1:30 Food 4:00 Water 6:30 Antibiotics 8:00 Food 8:00

birdlvr466

Hit the Road
Real Name
Pat
How many times a day are you giving the meds, just twice? When you say food, you mean formula? He has food to munch on all the time?

RebeccaP

Meeting neighbors
She has Avicakes, nutriberries, pellets and seed to much on all day long along with fresh water. By food I mean 3 ccs of Kaytee Exact formula. She gets the antibiotics in the morning and at night. Calcium once a day too.

birdlvr466

Hit the Road
Real Name
Pat
Ok Rebecca I understand. Have you tried Willie on fresh veggies at all? My other thought is this...with the handfeeding formula she is getting extra water. The other water you are providing, I am wondering if she still needs that? Is she drinking on her own? My thought was the water may be filling her up and hence not eating as much food. My Sun loves apples (no seeds, organic if possible), broccoli, mandarin oranges, birdy bread, pomegranite, sweet potato. What kind of seed are you feeding her? My guys love Goldenfeast Caribbean Bounty. Also Kathie from mybirdsafestore has a wonderful blend that I also use.
http://www.mybirdsafestore.com/cart.cgi?group=537&child=1569

Last edited:

RebeccaP

Meeting neighbors
Willie is doing very well. She hasn't gained much weight but is her lively, happy little self. She even started her phone ringing trick this morning (she sounds *exactly* like the phone, with perfect timing) and ends the sequence with "Hello!". She hasn't done that since mid-August. We're taking her back to the avian vet to have x-rays and a repeat blood test on Thursday.

So happy that she is doing better now. We're on our 10th day of giving her Baytril twice a day.

:heart:

Rebecca

birdlvr466

Hit the Road
Real Name
Pat
Rebecca I am so happy to hear that! When Tequila was sick, he had two rounds of Baytril too and it did the trick, along with all the supportive care he was getting. Please let us know how the xrays and bloodwork go. You did a great job taking care of Willie!

RebeccaP

Meeting neighbors
Took Willie back to the vet. She still weighs just under 100 grams. The swelling in her abdomen has gone down but is still there. She was given more x-rays, this time with barium and it is now clear that her liver is completely normal - it is her reproductive system is that is enlarged.

She was given her first dose of albendazole due to repeat eosinophilia (often indicates a parasite/worm infection). Parasitism rare, but so is pronounce eosinophilia...
Since reproductive mass effect may be cystic, neoplastic , infectious, and a portion of these are estrogen dependent, then a GnRH receptor agonist is a logical non-invasive treatment to add to antibiotics, antifungal, and treatment for potential parasitism. Depo-Lupron administered at .5mg/kg IM

So, the vets conclusions were:
1) If parasitism actually involved in emaciation, may see marked improvement in body weight within 1-2 weeks (unlikely, but hopeful..)
2) If ovarian condition is cystic, then may see improvement within 2-3 weeks with Lupron injection, and will recommend repeat Lupron in about 4 weeks
3) If ovarian neoplasia present, may see some temporary improvement in body condition with leuprolide, but it will be partial and short lived.
4) Other...

So, we're just going to continue with antibiotics, and anti-fungal, anti-parasitic and see what happens.

She's home pigging out on avicakes, drinking lots of water. She's a little trooper.

Rebecca

birdlvr466

Hit the Road
Real Name
Pat
Rebecca thanks for the update. Sounds like you have a good thorogh vet. You are doing a great job.

RebeccaP

Meeting neighbors
Started Willie on Avigain tonight (mixed a tiny bit into her hand feeding). She seemed to enjoy it and has been pigging out ever since. It says it stimulates appetite and I believe they are right!

birdlvr466

Hit the Road
Real Name
Pat
Started Willie on Avigain tonight (mixed a tiny bit into her hand feeding). She seemed to enjoy it and has been pigging out ever since. It says it stimulates appetite and I believe they are right!
Oh wonderful!! The Avitech products are great!

RebeccaP

Meeting neighbors
Just read that it contains fenugreek seed which is often recommended for women who have ovarian pain and reproductive system disorders. Hopefully it will help her from that perspective as well.

birdlvr466

Hit the Road
Real Name
Pat
Just read that it contains fenugreek seed which is often recommended for women who have ovarian pain and reproductive system disorders. Hopefully it will help her from that perspective as well.
Oh..that is interesting.

RebeccaP

Meeting neighbors
For the first time since August, I have hope that my 17 year old sun conure Willie is going to recover from a terrible illness. Not sure if it was the Depo-Lupron (for cystic ovarian disease), Baytril (antibiotic), Albendazole (antifungal), or exactly what but she is without a doubt much, much better as of yesterday and today. There is a chance that if she has cancer she will show a temporary improvement and then go downhill again. I'm just hoping that this is the beginnng of a few more wonderful years with us.

Thanks for all of the support from those who have followed her ups and downs. I'll keep you posted.

Status
Not open for further replies.